PDA

View Full Version : Flipping Mowers for $$$?

NewbieNC
02-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Is there any money in flipping mowers for money?? Know anyone that does this thing or is it just a cool hobby lol

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Cool hobby if you can afford to float your money and if you know where the good deals are? What part of NC are you? We currently have about 7 mowers to sell this spring. Have maybe 4500 in them and about 2-3 weeks into spring we'll get roughly $7500 or so. Done it for many years now.

NewbieNC
02-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Hey..Im out in Clayton. What do you mean by where the good deals are? Do you get em off regular homeowners? Are there particular mowers you look for? Any tips would be great! lol

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-17-2007, 08:13 PM
The bargain trader is a good one (we picked up several TRUE john deere's when the owner just wanted them gone so offered 1/2 what its worth and they'll go for close to $2,000 in a few more weeks. Plus we do small engine repair and lots of time a customer wants to know whats wrong and once you diganose it and give them the news they don't want to pay to fix it and rather pay me for my time to look at it they just say keep it. Most come that way but the profit isn't always so great.

NewbieNC
02-17-2007, 08:21 PM
I was thinking craigslist is a good thing too. Selling em there might not be bad...I know people sell their used mower on that site all the time.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
02-17-2007, 09:34 PM
we sell them locally w/ no prob.

khouse
02-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Stick with older JD, Cub Cadet and Ingersol riders. Take cash and always say something like. I know you want 500.00 for it but all I have is 350 cash. You never know? I was buying some old Snappers but they didn't sell well. I would stay away from the Murrays, MTD's etc. Unless they give them to you. My sister gave me a MTD. It had a dropped valve seat. I reinstalled it and peened it in. Sold it for $450.00 If it had been an old JD it would have sold for $1200.00 This is a good way to break in the business and build up your tools and experience.

Jason Pallas
02-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Flipping mowers - I've been doing it for years! And Yes, there's money in it. Although, you really need to know what the value of any particular unit is and what the value is for it in your market.
I've found Ebay to be a great selling (and buying) tool. I've been able to come across some great deals and sell some mowers (and other equipment) at good prices.
It's been a great way to provide the capital to be able to afford some nice pieces of equipment for the business.
Remember, any profit you make, you'll need to report to the IRS - but that's all part of doing business.

razor1
02-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Is there any money in flipping mowers for money?? Know anyone that does this thing or is it just a cool hobby lol Let your customers/neighbors know that you're always looking for a deal on used equipment. Preferably free. I've been given many tractors this way. We sell a couple every year. Obviously, the best time to buy Oct-Dec. Best time to sell Mar.-May. Same goes for new equipment. Unless there snowblowers.:laugh: