PDA

View Full Version : Utility body or Van?

Tony Clifton
02-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Utility body or van for irrigation techs?
This would be used for troubleshooting/repairs, small upgrades etc. Very little new installation.
Which is better?

laylow1994
02-18-2007, 07:26 PM
i have had both utility body and a van both used for repairs, troubleshooting and small upgrades.... i really like the utility body better easier to work out of.....

paolaken
02-18-2007, 07:36 PM
a van hurts your back and knees. 50 times in and out in a day gets tiresome.

Dirty Water
02-18-2007, 07:39 PM
We had both, and I prefer utility body trucks by a long shot.

Hank Reardon
02-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Utility body service truck here as well. Vans look cool with everything inside, protected, but the stories of tired backs and knees keeps me out of one.

koster_irrigation
02-18-2007, 08:51 PM
i think you did a thread on this before

here it is again
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=161390

Remote Pigtails
02-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Utility Bodies all the way. I've had both and would pay twice to avoid vans. My assistant has an Astro that he parks at his apt and that works well for avoiding theft but it is impossible to keep the inside as organized as a utility bed. Extended cabs are great because you can lock up the expensive stuff (521, 901, timers, etc.) behind the seat. I've had a lot of stuff stolen over the years. That is the one advantage of a van. Would definitely spring for power locks.
Anyway here is my dream vehicle.
http://www.isuzucv.com/nseries/n_photo_plumbing.html

zman9119
02-19-2007, 12:28 AM
I would have to agree... NO VANS!!!

I would say a service body on a ext. or quad cab truck.

How about the Sprinter service body...
http://www.dodge.com/gallery/img/sprinter/enlarge_5.jpg

Remote Pigtails
02-19-2007, 07:52 AM
I saw that. I think that is the new vehicle they have come out with. Here is my argument for the cab forward over the sprinter. You lose space by having the engine in front of the cab. I took my F-250 extended cab up to the Isuzu commercial dealer and did the measurements and I would gain an extra 5 feet of utility storage space for the same length. Also the turning radius on those cab forwards is way better. I would actually like to combine the utility bed with a stand up enclosed area with an RV ac unit for my on the road office and occasional day time naps. I have a pic of that and will post. (Not the naps)

PurpHaze
02-19-2007, 10:02 AM
I would actually like to combine the utility bed with a stand up enclosed area with an RV ac unit for my on the road office and occasional day time naps.

Many great minds throughout history were/are "nappers". :)

The older I get I look forward to every opportunity to rejuvenate my batteries. :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-19-2007, 10:07 AM
There are advantages and disadvantages to all styles of service vehicles. Look around at your local utility companies and you will see that they have a variety of vehicles to get the job done. It all depends on what the job is, what weather conditions you primarily have in your area and many other factors. The key in a small business is to get something that will meet your need adequately while not creating undue stress on you.

BSME
02-19-2007, 04:55 PM
I have two trucks right now... one of them is utility body... the other has a lid on it.

My next vehicle will be a van because I like to toss a box of pgps on top of everything and when it rains that can get messy. My utility is also parked outside right now and is full of snow.

I've worked out of a van before and had no problems. We had drawers at the side door and milke crates with all the heads and valves near the back doors. Everything seemed to be within reach and I only had to climb in when I had to dig around for something random.

I like the fact that vans are weatherproof and can be locked up.

Wet_Boots
02-19-2007, 05:06 PM
The one 'official' disadvantage of a van is the proximity of the occupants to volatile compounds, like the PVC cements and cleaners, and/or the fuel container for a trencher you might be hauling. Pinheads at OSHA could probably cite many vans for this or that violation.

irrig8r
02-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Many great minds throughout history were/are "nappers". :)

Ronald Reagan comes to mind... :)

I like a service body. One I own is a Stahl and was originally on an '89 Isuzu pickup. The stock bed Isuzu was rear-ended in traffic and the difference between a new stock bed and a Stahl service body was only $200 out of pocket (after $2200 from the other driver's insurance.)

Later the Isuzu cab end was totalled while parked on a job, but I kept the body (virtually undamaged except for primer and solvent splashes.) It was hit head-on by an Econoline van with a distracted driver going down the wrong side of the street.

I put it on a GMC Sonoma body and it's still going strong 10 years later.

Dirty Water
02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Speaking of service bodies, I've found that Knaphiede makes a stronger body compared to Stahl and Hieser. And I've ran all three. Doors close better, and overall its better built.

koster_irrigation
02-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Speaking of service bodies, I've found that Knaphiede makes a stronger body compared to Stahl and Hieser. And I've ran all three. Doors close better, and overall its better built.

thats good to know. b/c most new chevys come with knaphiedes. im wanting to get a service body truck at some point in the future

Tony Clifton
02-19-2007, 08:30 PM
i think you did a thread on this before

here it is again
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=161390

You are correct!
I like fresh input. Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going with a utility body!