PDA

View Full Version : Did I wisely invest $150?

Mr Priceless
02-18-2007, 05:45 PM
i JUST bought a 1972 GMC Sierra Longbed with a slighlty knocking 305, 350 Turbo 3 spd tranny, 63k miles, flat tires, has a bottom panel in the driver door rusted through but that's about the only rusting porblem; new four core radiator, eldebrok intake manifold, a/c & heat (not sure if it works or not); cherry bomb dual exhaust, manual window rollup, NO signs of accidents, all headlights and tail lights are in excellent condition, no tailgate, tightly connected steel front and rear bumper, rinted windows, rubber bed liner, all wires are intact with no signs of chew, the driver window is being held up with a clamp, and that's about all i remember.

your opinions? would this make a good work truck? what all would i have to additionally invest to simply make it roadworthy (no cosmetic work)

lucforce
02-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Aside from your engine problem, MY largest concerns for such as this are the condition of the front-end and brake parts. Brakes are ridiculously neglected and you should have brakes in better working order than anything else in a vehicle.

If you don't mind spending some money to get this truck in working order now, you made a good purchase. If you try to skate by without spending any money on it, It will cost you more in the long run.

I would replace the A-Frame bushings and any worn hard parts in the front end, change the front brakes to disc if they are not already, and at minimum for the rest of the brakes replace the wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and hoses and FLUSH OUT ALL OF THE OLD FLUID. Check you u-joints, axle seals and change the oil in the differential. If it has power steering, flush that too. Install a cooler for the transmission.

All of this can be done (except the trans cooler) while the engine is out and is not really that much work. If you want to keep this truck, get a long block from a good machinist or even fix the 305. Spend another $500 and get all new ignition parts, water and fuel pumps, carb kit, belts and hoses. I am assuming that this engine already has an HEI distributor, if not get one and forget about ignition points.

Shop around for the parts-BUT buy name brand stuff with a lifetime warranty!
All of this will run you $1500-2500 worst case. But you will have a reliable, and Safe vehicle for not much money when you are done.

I am of course assuming that the rear end, and the transmission are in working order. I also advise that you purchase new tires.

KS_Grasscutter
02-18-2007, 06:16 PM
How about some pics? That is one of THE best body style trucks EVER in my opinion.

LindblomRJ
02-18-2007, 06:19 PM
It might make a good work truck. One all the mechanical issues are resolved might be a good machine. Personally I think it would be fun to have it all fixed up and go cruising. They seem to be popular as collector items. Is it a half ton or 3/4 ton?

Even those from 73 to 87 are gaining in popularity for being restored.

mojob
02-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Like Grasscutter said, these are about the coolest trucks ever made. You might want to restore it if it's in good shape. Are you a pretty good mechanic? If so, you can buy an engine rebuild kit from Summit or a dozen other places really cheap for an old 350. If you didn't want to hassle with that, you could go with a short block or long block rebuilt engine. If it were me I'd strip it down to the frame and do a ground up restore, but I'm Mr. Overkill when it comes to fixing up old cars. I think you stole it for $150. Good luck and have fun!

Mr Priceless
02-18-2007, 11:42 PM
Aside from your engine problem, MY largest concerns for such as this are the condition of the front-end and brake parts. Brakes are ridiculously neglected and you should have brakes in better working order than anything else in a vehicle.

If you don't mind spending some money to get this truck in working order now, you made a good purchase. If you try to skate by without spending any money on it, It will cost you more in the long run.

I would replace the A-Frame bushings and any worn hard parts in the front end, change the front brakes to disc if they are not already, and at minimum for the rest of the brakes replace the wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and hoses and FLUSH OUT ALL OF THE OLD FLUID. Check you u-joints, axle seals and change the oil in the differential. If it has power steering, flush that too. Install a cooler for the transmission.

All of this can be done (except the trans cooler) while the engine is out and is not really that much work. If you want to keep this truck, get a long block from a good machinist or even fix the 305. Spend another $500 and get all new ignition parts, water and fuel pumps, carb kit, belts and hoses. I am assuming that this engine already has an HEI distributor, if not get one and forget about ignition points.

Shop around for the parts-BUT buy name brand stuff with a lifetime warranty!
All of this will run you $1500-2500 worst case. But you will have a reliable, and Safe vehicle for not much money when you are done.

I am of course assuming that the rear end, and the transmission are in working order. I also advise that you purchase new tires.

I and my dad (which is a MAJOR FACTOR in determining whether i should buy, i'll explain in my reply to mojob's quote) checked everything as thouroughly as possible under the hood and inside the truck, although it was really tough for us to see just exactly what condition the entire bottom was, after all, it was on all flats and tall (sticking) weeds were growing around it, although i did start jumping on the back to check the suspension out, and it's in good order.

The seller said that the truck was running in last May (when he showed it to another potential buyer), and only parked it because he STARTED to hear knocking (or banging, he wasn't too sure) in the engine, and parked it. He is the second owner, bought it from a relative with intentions on farm work. He said he didn't have time to fix it up. He also said the reason the tires were flat was because hissons would continuously steal air from them to air up other equipment, and the seller actually suggested turning the engine over and DRIVING IT back to our house 3 miles away once (and if) we got the tires aired up; but i REALLY would much rather tow it back if anything, so as not to completely ruin all hopes of saving the engine. I'm assumng the tranny and such are in decent condition and won't really think too much about it.

My dad said the problems with the enigine knocking could be one of 3 things: oil pump is out/ oil filter clogged; the fact that when we checked the oil there was 1/4 inch of oil (with no metal debris, which meant no grinded bearings) on the stick at the most (and i didn't like that too much, but the seller said he didn't drive it around at all when he started hearing knocking), and, the most radial probable cause: cracked flywheel, which my dad said wasn't really expensive, even though i REALLY don't feel like learning how to pull engines, but then you gotta learn someday i suppose. I like to see a Chevy 350 crate in the beast anyway:weightlifter: :cool2:

How about some pics? That is one of THE best body style trucks EVER in my opinion.

I will get a digital camera ASAP (if it's not more expensive than the truck:laugh:) BUT, just to give a visual sense, it's white, the beige headliner is in tact (beautiful, really). The black door panels are missing from the driver's door, the chrome liningis missing on both sides, but then i think it looks better w/o them anyway. The left chrome frame-part thing is missing off the left pair of headlights, which is really the ONLY place i would suspect a minor collision (or major, you can't tell since those trucks are tanks). The seats are, err, white and beige? and the windows have a bluish/purplish tint on all sides. Like i said...white.

It might make a good work truck. One all the mechanical issues are resolved might be a good machine. Personally I think it would be fun to have it all fixed up and go cruising. They seem to be popular as collector items. Is it a half ton or 3/4 ton?

Even those from 73 to 87 are gaining in popularity for being restored.

It looks like a half ton, but then it's a long bed, and the steel made for those pickups were REALLY thick, so i'm leaning towards 3/4. The same truck on half-decent working/running condition sells for 5-9k around here. I can't find the 73-80 model GMCs for the life of me. Anywhere.

Like Grasscutter said, these are about the coolest trucks ever made. You might want to restore it if it's in good shape. Are you a pretty good mechanic? If so, you can buy an engine rebuild kit from Summit or a dozen other places really cheap for an old 350. If you didn't want to hassle with that, you could go with a short block or long block rebuilt engine. If it were me I'd strip it down to the frame and do a ground up restore, but I'm Mr. Overkill when it comes to fixing up old cars. I think you stole it for $150. Good luck and have fun!

I'm NO expert. WHATSOEVER. ON ANY CAR OR TRUCK. BUT....my dad is one step below Foose himself mechanically, at least i (and about all of the thousands of people who had their vehicles repaired) think he's the best damn mechanic (which the skills God gave him) Oklahoma will EVER see:clapping: . He and my uncle built hot rods from the ground up and raced them. And crashed. And built, and totaled. Around the 5th car and 10th borken bone my dad decided to stop racing and building cars and went into the automotive repair business with Walmart in Arkansas and was quickly promoted to the top paid technician of all Walmart chains in the US, until Sam Walton died, and you mechanics that worked for Walmart know how well his children messed the automotive dept. up. Well, to save a long bio short, this truck is WELL in my dad's ballpark, and i plan on learned as much as possible with him in these 4 months or so b4 i get my Driver's License. I'm 16, and this will be my first vehicle ever. I personally don't think it's too bad of a deal is i do say so myself.:)

sry for the long post. excitement kinda does that to me:hammerhead:

RedWingsDet
02-19-2007, 03:58 AM
I would buy it and use it for plowing at night only, but I would also count on it breaking down, and when ti does so, turn it into scrap and you will get over $150 for it at the scrap yard. or use it for pulling out bushes that are big and worried about a chain snapping, but if its that big you mine as well call a tree guy

Mr Priceless
02-19-2007, 10:29 AM
I would buy it and use it for plowing at night only, but I would also count on it breaking down, and when ti does so, turn it into scrap and you will get over $150 for it at the scrap yard. or use it for pulling out bushes that are big and worried about a chain snapping, but if its that big you mine as well call a tree guy

you make it sound like any old truck is not worth the time, and that they'll break at any time, as if they are extremely unreliable.:nono: Sorry, but let me say that is the largest load of bullcrap i've heard about old cars. I'll give you a few examples:

My uncle had to crash into a huge cement drain pipe in a ditch at 70 MPH drunk as hell to FINALLY kill his 1988 F 150 Custom. My dad drove his 1984 Olds 88 at 120 MPH with fire and smoke bellowing for 20 miles until he got to his house, replaced some wiring, and drove the car the next day. My dad has gotten into 4 severly life-threatening car crashes, all over 100 MPH, and he's walked out of each alive in totaled Chevrolets, Cutlasses, Oldsmobiles, etc. in their 60's and 70's. Our family pulled out of the tail of a tornado in a 1975 Buick Park Avenue 4 door with a chevy 350 underneath the hood. Recently, me, my dad, and my sister in our 1985 Sliverado got T-boned in the bed and bumper at an intersection with a 1997 Red Chevey Pickup. The 1997 pickup got totaled, and we drove away, alothough i'll admit the alignment was a little messed up.

I will proclaim anytime that old cars, especially chevy's (or GMC's, they're the same) Olds', Buicks, and some Fords among a few other brands have made EXCELLENT vehicles that are reliable, safe, powerful, comfortable, GREAT LOOKING (i mean down right sexy), and built like tanks from 1960-1990. YOu can't beatem, you just can't.:cool2: :drinkup: :weightlifter:

LindblomRJ
02-19-2007, 11:00 AM
If a person has the time money and energy to fix old vehicles they can be a lot of fun but a lot of headache. I like old iron but don't always have what it takes to keep it going. My favorite pickup is my 79 Ford, my next favorite is my 1950 International L150. I am thinking of ways to use it every day. Yet to decide what I want to do with it.

Mr Priceless
02-19-2007, 04:05 PM
i'll get some pics of the truck wednesday when i pick it up

RockSet N' Grade
02-19-2007, 05:27 PM
If you got a '72 for $150 that is a steal if the body is anywhere close to what you say it is. You could part that out and make $2-4k on just the body parts. Fixed up I have seen these trucks go for between $12-25k....some even more. You just hit a home run and just don't know it yet....

Mr Priceless
02-19-2007, 05:41 PM
If you got a '72 for $150 that is a steal if the body is anywhere close to what you say it is. You could part that out and make $2-4k on just the body parts. Fixed up I have seen these trucks go for between $12-25k....some even more. You just hit a home run and just don't know it yet....

oh, believe me, i know i did, it's just i had to think of some catchy title.... but yes, the truck's body (excluding the rusty bottom of the driver door) is in EXCELLENT condition. I looked in a Truck Trader mag and the exact same model, simply running was advertised for $9,000.

Mr Priceless
02-19-2007, 05:44 PM
i'm still puzzled at the fact the seller suggested that i drive it home when i get the time. I mean, unless the only problem with the tires are the fact that there's no air in them...

RockSet N' Grade
02-19-2007, 08:33 PM
If you find another one let me know. I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Mr Priceless
02-20-2007, 10:25 AM
well, the thing is, a lot of other people like you are looking for the same thing. In the same magazine that came out the day i bought it (February 17) there was another running 1972 GMC right beside the same model advertised for $9,000 that was being sold for $950. Before I bought this magazine, i hadn't bought the truck, and debated whether it was really worth the time and money. As soon as i found that ad for the $950 GMC, i called up when i got home and the answering machine had said the truck sold:cry: And that's when i went to buy my truck for $150 the next morning. Good thing the seller didn't advertise too much:dizzy:

I can give you some tips as to how to get the deal first. Our state newpaper is The Oklahoman, is delivered to our local stores at 2 AM. I'm assuming that your nespaper, The Salt Lake Tribune, is delivered roughly the same time depending on where you live. If the people that put the classifieds out don't buy a good steal in the paper, then you might have a chance if you get the paper early no matter what day and call as early as possible.

But then your best bet is finding a seller who has no idea what their truck is worth and doesn't advertise.

Mr Priceless
02-21-2007, 05:51 PM
UPDATE:

The 305 engine that was in it is what i and my dad believe to be bad. We had drained the 1/3 quart of oil left in the truck (really, REALLY stupid kid had owned it b4 and the magnetic plug had about a 1/5 ounce of metal shavings and chunks on it. DAMN! We tried jump-starting the truck, but the battery was bad and we weren't sure if there was a problem with the starter. Ah well, i want to drop a crate balanced 350 in there and take the heads off the 305 to put on the crate, so no worries:):dancing:

Mr Priceless
03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Update: here are a few pics I took of my teacher's camera when i got out of school today. I only had an hour to figure out how to save the stupid pics to the camera, ride to my house, get the pics, and ride back to return to my teacher....ANYWAY, these are what i have managed to upload thus far. MANY more on the way as early as tommorrow

Mr Priceless
03-01-2007, 10:00 PM
and of course the date on the cam is way off....but like i said, didn't have too much time on my hands.:hammerhead:

Edgewater
03-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Good deal on the truck. If the body is good, put 3000-4000 in it and it will be a solid truck.

305 heads have much smaller combustion chambers than a 350. The compression ratio would be too high for pump gas and the flow would be way down. You should be able to find a fresh rebuilt or recentlt rebuilt 350, carb to oil pan for 2-3K. That will be you best bet. On a new motor, there is no point in taking a chance with used stuff like oil pumps and water pumps.

Good luck and post more pics
Adam

Mr Priceless
03-02-2007, 12:39 PM
PHEW! OK, i FINALLY got all of my remaining pics resize, courtesy of IrfanView, which DEFINATELY came in handy:) :cool2: :weightlifter:

anyway, i've got 23 pics to upload; Here we go: Round 1......

Mr Priceless
03-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Round 2.....

Mr Priceless
03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Round 3....

Mr Priceless
03-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Round 4....

Mr Priceless
03-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Last round.....

Swampy
03-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Nice find. And its in really good shape for its year. I'd hold on to that even if it broke down it would be a nice project over winter.

Mr Priceless
03-02-2007, 12:57 PM
as far as I can tell, the only major things to get the beut roadworthy is and engine, Tires, possibly a power steering box, brake master cylinder, and In my personal preference, some exhaust molds pointing down. I REALLY don't like the fact that those dual exhaust pies are facing up towards the bottom of the bed:nono:

Mr Priceless
03-02-2007, 01:01 PM
any further questions on truck's condition, cosmetically, or mechanincally, i will explain to my furthest ability and knowledge.

Mr Priceless
03-02-2007, 03:08 PM
what's really wierd is that the very same people that sold me the truck have a 350 that they want to get rid of...:dancing:

bigshoe
03-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Nice find and even better price, I currently have a 71 Chevy C10 short bed and I paid a lot more for mine. The popularity for these trucks has risen so much in the last couple years the price has gone through the roof. The body style of these trucks (67-72) is by far my favorite. And there is a lot of parts available to restore these trucks and probably would be worth the investment as I can only see you getting a very good price if restored. Once again good find !

Mike

Optimum Lawn
03-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Nice truck:)

I to have a '72 GMC 3/4ton that I use for my business....good eye candy and you will stand out from the crowd.
yes things will break but parts are plentiful and cheap

Use this web site forum for everything to do with these trucks
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3

price was RIGHT
so what if it needs motor, tranny, brakes, body work, etc.....you'll always have the value.

Mr Priceless
03-03-2007, 03:11 PM
wow, ty for the site reference. don't think i would've never looked for that:p

and like i said, the only major component this thing needs to run is a motor, which i'm supposed to look at a 350 4 bolt main priced at $650 (with EVERYTHING coming with it.) very close to this area:weightlifter: lucky me:cool2:

supercuts
03-04-2007, 08:40 AM
i have always wanted to get an old truck like that, ford in my case, and throw a nice new powerstroke/tranny in it, new axles, new paint and run a gorgous old check with todays power, good brakes, and milelage. just a dream but i would still probly pan out much cheaper than a new truck for a 100% restored oldie but goodie

Mr Priceless
03-04-2007, 05:56 PM
UPDATE:

I went to a Body Shop today to look at a crate 350 in a mangled 1985 Silverado (drunk man running from law hit a ditch at a T intersection, didn't escape successfully).

It's a 4 bolt main (no give on the crankshaft AT ALL), has a 4 barrel Eldebrok Carb, brand new FRAN airfilter, alternator, fan, waterpump, AC hoses/lines, distributer, basically the whole shibang under the hood. The truck also had a nice set of tires, Goodyear Eagle GT II with atleast 95% tread that I also purchased. He wanted $650 for the engine, fully dressed, and $35 for the first 4 tires (no rims included) and $20 for the spare, since it wasn't the same brand, but brand new.

When we ran the engine, there were no knocks, and it ran smooth as glass. I really think i made out like a bandit. All i got to say for now, will get pics of the engine and hopefully of the mangled truck soon, i got to get to work.

G.M.Landscaping
10-19-2007, 05:37 PM
Any updates?

PROCUT1
10-19-2007, 06:02 PM
you make it sound like any old truck is not worth the time, and that they'll break at any time, as if they are extremely unreliable.:nono: Sorry, but let me say that is the largest load of bullcrap i've heard about old cars. I'll give you a few examples:

My uncle had to crash into a huge cement drain pipe in a ditch at 70 MPH drunk as hell to FINALLY kill his 1988 F 150 Custom. My dad drove his 1984 Olds 88 at 120 MPH with fire and smoke bellowing for 20 miles until he got to his house, replaced some wiring, and drove the car the next day. My dad has gotten into 4 severly life-threatening car crashes, all over 100 MPH, and he's walked out of each alive in totaled Chevrolets, Cutlasses, Oldsmobiles, etc. in their 60's and 70's. Our family pulled out of the tail of a tornado in a 1975 Buick Park Avenue 4 door with a chevy 350 underneath the hood. Recently, me, my dad, and my sister in our 1985 Sliverado got T-boned in the bed and bumper at an intersection with a 1997 Red Chevey Pickup. The 1997 pickup got totaled, and we drove away, alothough i'll admit the alignment was a little messed up.

I will proclaim anytime that old cars, especially chevy's (or GMC's, they're the same) Olds', Buicks, and some Fords among a few other brands have made EXCELLENT vehicles that are reliable, safe, powerful, comfortable, GREAT LOOKING (i mean down right sexy), and built like tanks from 1960-1990. YOu can't beatem, you just can't.:cool2: :drinkup: :weightlifter:

Dam

Your family sure gets their moneys worth from the insurance company.

outlaw1960
10-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Nice find, I just sold a 1971 K20, 454 engine, 700r4 tranny. $11,000, they don't make them like that anymore.

ashs inc
10-21-2007, 09:29 PM
any updates any pics?????? what do you say mr priceless????

Mr Priceless
10-22-2007, 09:01 AM
it's for sale. nothing has really changed.

PlatinumLandCon
10-22-2007, 07:13 PM
did u get the engine in? How does it run?

Mr Priceless
10-23-2007, 09:06 AM
did u get the engine in? How does it run?

it's in, runs fantastic.

ashs inc
10-23-2007, 10:59 AM
man get us some pics. i bet its awesome

outlaw1960
10-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Why are you selling?

Mr Priceless
10-24-2007, 10:23 AM
i'm selling because i realized i no longer have the time or money to restore it as my original plans were. like i said, the exterior part of the truck hasn't changed much, but the engine we put in it is a beast. If you read through my earlier posts, you'll get all the info you need on it. Btw my selling price is whatever you offer. I have a price in mind, which is basically what I put into the truck excluding the labor and fustrations getting it to run.

topsites
10-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Just turn the tires a bit, they're only flat on the bottom.

Some customers may just have an attitude of a mind set when they see you pull up.
You really need to spend more than a few hundred for a half-decent vehicle.
A truck you won't find for less than a grand, but spend 1400- 1600 and you should have something in working order.

I would buy it and use it for plowing at night only, but I would also count on it breaking down, and when ti does so, turn it into scrap and you will get over $150 for it at the scrap yard.

Around here you're lucky to get 50 - 70 bucks for something like that, at the junk yard.

topsites
10-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Well I suppose, 150 + 650 = 800 + labor = 1400 - 1600 ...
It's alright, in this case, but I would've saved myself the labor and bought one that's running, but that's just me.

muddstopper
10-24-2007, 08:06 PM
If you where closer, I would certainly give you your money back for the truck. If you want to talk delivery to NC, I'm interested.

Mr Priceless
10-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Some customers may just have an attitude of a mind set when they see you pull up.
You really need to spend more than a few hundred for a half-decent vehicle.
A truck you won't find for less than a grand, but spend 1400- 1600 and you should have something in working order.

funny you mention that. your subconscious knowledge never ceases to amaze me.:laugh:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=203965:cool2:

Mr Priceless
11-20-2007, 10:17 AM
UPDATE: Truck sold. Thanks to all who had interest

Kennedy Landscaping
09-05-2008, 01:17 PM
The knocking will only get worse over time. It happened on my F150. I now have a 351 Windsor with magnaflow duals

Mr Priceless
09-05-2008, 02:05 PM
wow, didn't expect to see this thread rise from the dead:p

the engine that originally came with it was pronounced dead on the scene. good to hear you have a decent running rig

Kennedy Landscaping
09-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I was bored today. raining again so I dug up an old one. Was planning to sharpen blades but our 03 ram wouldnt start. The security system locked up. So I spent the day working on that. It runs now finally. Battery was shot, but it wasn't giving any real signs that it was bad.