PDA

View Full Version : Reducing MA's and Other Crapola

PurpHaze
02-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Started a repair Friday at one of our high schools. Area was a swamp and discovered that three of four valves were leaking at their 2" x 1-1/2" reducing MA's. Good thing it wasn't leaking at the main line near or under the sidewalk as there are four pipes tightly buried in one trench.

Also discovered that the QCV had been installed using Marlex 90s and was leaking through the threads. We had to pull off the repair for something else and will finish the job tomorrow.

londonrain
02-19-2007, 12:22 PM
So mad you tossed your hat off?

Wet_Boots
02-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Nay, it popped off his head, as steam blew from his ears.

Dirty Water
02-19-2007, 12:58 PM
But Marlex '90s hold constant pressure :D

Remember Critical Care going back and forth about that a year ago? :)

PurpHaze
02-19-2007, 05:13 PM
So mad you tossed your hat off?

Just an unseasonably warm day (low 70s) and I started to fog up my sunglasses and sweat a little too much for a February day. Sat my hat down there to cool down a little. :)

Weather has cooled off quite considerable with some showers since Friday.

Nay, it popped off his head, as steam blew from his ears.

Actually I've been keeping cooler in that department lately knowing that in a few months I'll be turning this "let's follow behind LameScape and re-do all their screwups" over to someone else. :laugh:

PurpHaze
02-19-2007, 05:14 PM
But Marlex '90s hold constant pressure :D

Remember Critical Care going back and forth about that a year ago? :)

SURE... just like Slip Fixes. :laugh:

Critical Care
02-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Whoa, my ears are burning. Did I hear Marlex? No, I wouldn't use them in a situation as Hayes has shown... complete with the teflon tape as shown. That quick connect is probably under about 70 psi. My Marlex is only rated at 65 psi constant.

PurpHaze
02-20-2007, 09:45 PM
No, I wouldn't use them in a situation as Hayes has shown... complete with the teflon tape as shown. That quick connect is probably under about 70 psi. My Marlex is only rated at 65 psi constant.

Actually CC... the Marlex is under greater pressure at times. There's a booster pump on a relay that activates when the three field controllers are on. Although this point is in the front of the school it's also under boosted pressure because it's controller is also on when the field is watering. :)

PurpHaze
02-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Repairs were made today. I decided to realign the valves a little and put two each in jumbo boxes since they're only 1-1/2" valves.

The QCV in the last pic is the same one but you'll note the Marlex 90s are gone. The swing joint is a combination of SCH 40 els and SCH 80 street els. Leo wanted to do a little experimentation on our QCV swing joints so I let him. Eventually the SCH 40 els will be replaced with SCH 80 on future QCV swing joints but our supplier was out of them at the moment.

I had to leave for a dentist appointment before everything was backfilled and boxes set so Leo finished up. We'll turn the isolation valve back on tomorrow and check the repair work.

laylow1994
02-21-2007, 03:40 PM
looks alot better very good repair......

Dirty Water
02-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Don't you love it when you have access to the end of the mainline and you can make the entire repair without a single repair fitting :)

mikecaldwell1204
02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Nice repair job. Frank wishes his looked like that lol.

PurpHaze
02-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Don't you love it when you have access to the end of the mainline and you can make the entire repair without a single repair fitting :)

It only occurs with us when the main line is a spur that dead ends like this did at the problem area. Then we can get away without Dresser couplings or other repair items. Of course when it comes to following this contractor around I always make sure to rip all their work out. Money is no object to me when righting their sorry ship. :)

PurpHaze
02-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Nice repair job. Frank wishes his looked like that lol.

Thanks. You have to remember that we're in a slightly different atmosphere when it comes to our repairs. Time, money and safety issues have little restraint on us and our goal is to make it better than it was to insure it will not leak again for a long time, if ever. :)

Had we been a contractor we probably would have only repaired the evident leak problems and then come back when the rest of it started leaking. That's the name of the game when you are a contractor. Sometimes it's impossible to get the customer to acknowledge that several items need to be replaced as they're looking at it from a financial angle. Since we're the customer AND the contractor (so to speak) I really don't trust the initial installation work and I only want to dig up a specific area one time if at all possible.

laylow1994
03-09-2007, 04:13 PM
yea wish i had a bobcat for every repair i had to do......

PurpHaze
03-09-2007, 09:17 PM
We don't use it on every repair we do. On dinky pipe that isn't too deep we dig up the ground the oldfashioned way... shovel. :)