PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes - Constant Problems

ed2hess
02-19-2007, 06:48 PM
The inside of the drums where the magnet slides has big groves and the magnet is worn down to wires(failed). Can the brake shops turn this surface or will I have to replace the drums? I am definitely going to replace the entire brake pad/magnet assembly this time no more putting in individual parts!!

tomo
02-20-2007, 05:05 PM
hello, need to check with oem to see if the drum can be machined in this area . Common sense would be in order here . Is there a large raised area of material or is the rubbing surface level with the other part of drum .If all else fails refer brake shop. Another alternative is to replace complete backing plate assembly [linnings, magnet ,springs, etc etc ] . Replace drums also.

IMO this is why i prefer 4 a trailer under say 4000--4500lbs to have mechanical /prefer hydraulic override disc brakes. Only pads every 2years and a fluid flush and bleed .simple maintenance . As u would expect this all depends on application and state laws .

tomo :waving: :waving:

ed2hess
02-20-2007, 07:49 PM
I decided to get a new backing plate and drums....total price was around $100. It only took about an hour to install. Got new bearing with this so I figure if I put a couple hundred dollars every 6 years it isn't bad.