PDA

View Full Version : John Deere LX176 Transmission Problem

ghmcgee
02-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I decided to clean up a 17 year old mower and repaint it, replace worn bushing and do oil and filter change. I drained the hydrostatic transmission oil as well as the engine oil. After reassembly, the engine runs fine but the transmission will not engage. The mower will not move.
Any suggestions?
John Deere LX176
Kawasaki 14 HP Engine
38 Inch mower deck

Restrorob
02-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Is there a hydro filter on this unit ? If so did you get it from a JD dealer ?
First make sure any bypass valve for pushing is closed. Did you have the rear wheels off ? If so did you get both axle keys back in ? If there is no filter block the rear tires off the ground then start the unit and run 3/4 to full throttle. Move from forward to reverse slowly 8/10 times, This should remove any trapped air in the system.

ghmcgee
02-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.

jud149
02-24-2007, 07:41 AM
I have the LX188 and the transaxle needs to be bleed to remove air after fluid change. This is done by raising the rear wheels off the ground and supporting the axle on jack stands. With the transaxle at proper fluid level and the engine running on slow idle, alternately depress the forward and reverse pedals and engage and disengage the free wheel valve lever. The manual says it can take 5 to 10 minutes.