PDA

View Full Version : Kohler 15hp model numbers

topsites
02-20-2007, 02:39 AM
I am looking to replace an aging 15hp Kohler, model number CV15T-41624

This goes on a '98 Toro proline, and my '05 proline has the same exact motor with those same exact numbers.

However, it seems that sometime last year, Kohler switched numbers or did something funny... I can't find a CV15T-41624 anywhere (except smallenginewarehouse.com has a discontinued / out of stock page for this, but that's been there for a long time).

Does anyone know what engine is being used to replace this?

FIXDISS
02-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I could not find an exact match either.Jack's Small Engines has several 15 HP Toro WAWB replacement engines but not the exact # you have. You might call Kohler Customer Service at 800 544 2444 for a reference # for replacement engine. Hope this will be some help to you.

MowerMedic77
02-20-2007, 06:09 PM
I would call Kohler but I would suspect they will want to replace it with one of their new Courage engines. Good luck

newz7151
02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
I would call Kohler but I would suspect they will want to replace it with one of their new Courage engines. Good luck

Doubtful. The Courage line is a residential line and would not be the replacement for a Command Pro.

PA-41624 SUGG LIST $1139.02 CV15T EXMARK 85LB

It would seem any Kohler Engines dealer should be able to order you that engine still.

MowerMedic77
02-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Yeah your right, but the last Kohler update school I attended The reps were talking about how the courage engine is holding up better then they expected, you would have thought they had built the best engine ever LOL...

newz7151
02-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Yeah your right, but the last Kohler update school I attended The reps were talking about how the courage engine is holding up better then they expected, you would have thought they had built the best engine ever LOL...

Holding up better than expected in residential applications. When a few of us posed the question if they would be qualified for a better commercial warranty at some point, all it got was a laugh from the instructor.

thecrankshaft
02-22-2007, 02:54 PM
PA-41624 is still a good part number and is available through Kohler.

Why do you even respond to this thread?

Courage = Residential
Command = Commercial

Look at the warranty policy on a Courage engine that is used commercially.

It is very rare when Kohler recommends an engine replacement with a different model of engine, can you think of one?

MowerMedic77
02-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Oh sooo sorry for my mistake oh GREAT CRANK SHAFT I will never respond again:rolleyes:

This will be my last message fair well to all:laugh:

Great Dane changed cranks on one vert application after Deere started producing them that required another model and spec as replacement, sorry it was over a year ago that I did that job can't remember the #'s off the top of my head.
OH YEAH Kohler marine uses a Kawi engine for one of its applications!
but thats not the same thats apples to oranges.

topsites
02-22-2007, 04:13 PM
My problem is that $1,100+ price, I refuse to pay that much when the original 41624's were selling for 500-600 not more than a year ago.
It goes on a 98 Toro Proline, which really, it can take a Kawasaki, a Honda, even a Briggs will fit so long the bolt pattern and keyed shaft dimensions are correct, it helps if the throttle lever is located on the left side, but other than that...

But, I like Kohlers, they're very solid engines, I compare them to my old bmw all the time lol, that's how good they usually run.

So, I called a few places and, seeing how the keyed shaft dimensions and the bolt pattern on these two models are identical, I decided to order the 41629 for $590 (that's w/ the shipping).

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
If I'm wrong, I'm out 200 (2 way shipping and re-stocking fee).

thecrankshaft
02-23-2007, 09:30 AM
The 41624 and 41629 engines are very similar and this should work fine for you. They both have the same air cleaner and and muffler, as well as crankshaft and oil pan. The new engine has an unregulated 15 amp charging system, but most of the other differences are cosmetic.

To match the speed settings of your old engine, you should bump the idle up from 1400 to 1500, and the high speed from 3600-3650.

Good luck!

topsites
03-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I tell you, the 41629 is really the exact same motor but there was some electrical stuff on there which I have no use for and it doesn't get in the way, I just swapped these today and the new engine runs GREAT!

I'll put up another thread with the actual swap (and pics), but here's a short video of it running (sorry is almost 5mb in size):
New Kohler 41629 on a '98 Toro 30197 (http://stonypointlawncare.com/41629.AVI)

I'm pretty pleased, I haven't heard that racing sound since almost 3 years ago, when it first started to lose compression.

topsites
03-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Funny, I was at the dealer today and they had a new Toro with a 15hp Kohler...
I got to take a quick look at the engine, and lo and behold it's the model 41629!

You know, why can't a dealer or an engine warehouse know this, why do they have to try and sell me the no-longer-in-stock model 41624 $1,300 engine when it ought to be obvious that if new Toros take the $600 model 41629 engine then it stands to reason that Kohler did a simple upgrade and model number swap?

While I understand the difference in profit between a $600 and a $1300 engine, fact is to me this is exactly the kind of *&%^ that gives some businesses a bad reputation, and as far as I'm concerned it is the employee's and owners J.O.B. to look out for their customers, thou I would have to guess this is their way of telling me they neither want nor need my business.

Yet one more reason to stay away from certain places, you really need both your eyes open and a straight head on your shoulders in this crazy world.

sorry, had to vent lol

newz7151
03-05-2007, 11:42 PM
You know, why can't a dealer or an engine warehouse know this, why do they have to try and sell me the no-longer-in-stock model 41624 $1,300 engine when it ought to be obvious that if new Toros take the $600 model 41629 engine then it stands to reason that Kohler did a simple upgrade and model number swap?

The $600 engine you bought is likely a take off or surplus engine that was sold cheap to basically just get rid of them off the books. Actual list price for that engine is below.

PA-41629 1071.85 @! CV15T TORO 88