PDA

View Full Version : Toro Dingo Engine Replacement

diamondlakerents
02-20-2007, 12:20 PM
We have two Dingo TX-420 with a Kohler Command V-Twin 20 hp engine that took a dump. Between the leaks and the burning they go through oil faster than you can put it in. One has over a thousand hours on it and the other has over two thousand. All but the engines are salvagable.

My question is for anybody that can tell me if we have any alternative to these shoddy Kohler engines? Specifically we've been eyeing up the 24 hp Honda engines, GX670U. Any other engine would be helpful. We'd just like to know more before shelling out a thousand bucks for a new motor that isn't going to work.

Any help or direction to help would be greatly appreciated.

pugs
02-20-2007, 12:37 PM
What engines were they offered with new? That may give you some idea of what will fit with little modification.

What exactly is wrong with the kohlers?

diamondlakerents
02-20-2007, 01:02 PM
What engines were they offered with new? That may give you some idea of what will fit with little modification.

What exactly is wrong with the kohlers?

The Dingo's only option was the 20 hp Kohler. The main problem with them is the seal around the shaft depends on an oil seal instead of a bearing like most normal people put on. Problems with the breather reed led to losing more oil than normal, and by the time we figured this out the shaft had bored a larger hole because it lost that floating oil seal. It's difficult to explain and we're really interested in finding alternatives to these engines.

As a side note we also have a Terramite T5 with the same engine on it that has the same problems. Once these engines start having problems, it takes about a month until they're completely shot.

Bigblue250
02-21-2007, 07:24 PM
I don't know if it will solve the problem of the leaky seal/worn crank, but speedy sleeves are an amazing product. Bring as much of the motor as you can to a local machine shop and have them match the sleeve to the aplication. Speedy sleeves have saved many a pump and motor for myself and customers. As far as a Kohler being shoddy, I have 2 gravelys from the late 70's early 80's with K301's on them and they are some of the best motors ever built thousands of hours on them and no problems.

khouse
02-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Diamondlakerents - you might look at thr Robin engines as they have bearings on each end of the crank. Smooth running and quiet.

Bigblue250 - you have a K series cast iron Kohler engine. One of Kohler's best engine series ever built.

LCPullman
02-22-2007, 01:20 AM
You could always consider the Kawasaki FH641D, 741D, 680D or 770D. They cover the 21-25hp range.

If you are not replacing the engine with an identical replacement, you need to be really careful to get the exact same output shaft size (diameter and length) (which should not be that hard).

On the TX Dingo, you will also have to put a pulley on the flywheel side of the shaft, so you will have to be really careful that you get an engine that is set up for that as well. This won't be as common and you have to make sure, you can find an engine that allows for this!!.

The best option is probably to tell your engine dealer what you need (give them exact shaft measurements on both sides of the enginge) and have them contact the manufacturer to find out what sub model you need.