PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my Big Tex open trailer, Best 20' units available?

Snyderserv5060
02-20-2007, 02:22 PM
I have been very seriously considering selling my 16' Big Tex open trailer to go with a larger unit that will allow me to hold a bit more size and weight wise. I looked at the 70PI version (which I have but in 16') in the 20' size but it does not offer me any real weight capacity advantage so I dont think thats a smart route.

I regurally tow mowers, mulch, stone, fill dirt... all that good stuff and on occasion cars and bobcats/skid steers. I know when ive had the trailer loaded with a lot of stone or dirt I am probably at or close to its limit. My truck is fine so thats not a concern. I figure I will sell off my trailer to compensate for a good portion of the new trailer but today when I went into the local Big Tex dealer I must say I was shocked.

Researching around the net I found the Big Tex 20' 10PI and 12PI (10K and 12K) trailers listed for $3300 and $3700. Today at the local dealer they quoted me well over $1000.00 additional on the prices I listed above. Additonally this price does NOT include the rampgates!? So now im really rethinking my idea of a new trailer. I cant justify $+5000 for a trailer that I see elsewhere online for $3000-3500.

Any recomendations on a similar/comparable trailer in 20' that can handle decent weight? I really need something with sides on it, while I can easily build the sides taller I want a trailer with some type of sides from the factory.
Opinions, thoughts and such are greatly appreciated! I also read that the Big Tex trailers were not being built as well as they were in the past which makes me concerned.

DLCS
02-20-2007, 03:27 PM
I've owned 3 Big Tex trailers. The last one I bought was a 18' 70PI. Nice trailer but the quality is not quite the same as the others I have bought, mainly the paint is so thin and chips easy. I know its a trailer and it will not stay shiny very long but it just didn't seem as good as the others. Anyway if I was to buy another I would probably look at the B and B line, I've heard that Big Tex makes these too but its better quality and heavier duty. I know guys that have them and they have nothing but good to say about them.

Snyderserv5060
02-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Paint and the gloss on the paint are superficial to me, im sure with the work I will put it through its bound to happen. I just called another Big Tex distributor this afternoon and they quoted me $775 less on the 10 and 12PI units. Im kinda dissapointed in my other dealer as ive bought from them in the past :confused: Oh well.

Thanks for the reply

Shawns Lawns
02-20-2007, 05:15 PM
I have a 20 foot moritz and love it.