PDA

View Full Version : Flower Time

MarcSmith
02-20-2007, 03:59 PM
bulbs not even poping and the flowers have been ordered

Well I pulled the trigger today.

10,000 flowers 142 different types/colors for 182 beds.

Not counting the 30 pots with misc tropicals and such....
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PurpHaze
02-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Don't I still see pictures of cold weather and snow out on the "other side" of our country or have you been missed? :laugh:

MarcSmith
02-21-2007, 10:22 AM
we just got about 4" ice/sleet last Wed. just now startingto melt.

I preorder all my flowers for the spring and my bulbs for the fall I wont put any flowers in the ground until Mid April. I gotta give my grower a chance to grow the plants I want.

I put 1/2 the flowers in the ground before graduation and the other half after....with the regular maintenance adn other odds/ends it takes about 2 months to get it all done...Usually first or second of week of june I'm all done.

Az Gardener
02-21-2007, 10:43 AM
What size do you plant? I'm guessing you mix it up? I'm surprised for that many flowers the university does not give you a green house to grow your own.

MarcSmith
02-21-2007, 10:56 AM
most are 6" annual, some 4.5" and some 10"...

Gotta remember There's a lot of work in growing flowers, and it takes space. Being in DC we have very little "disposable space" and it would cost me far much more money to hire a person just to grow the flowers on campus.

Now if we had a good AG department I would consider it. But imagine trying to get 10K flowers to grow and keep em alive until they all get in the ground...One night with a heater going out during a freeze would ruin the entire crop....

I'll probably spend 25K on flowers just for the spring. Best part is the grower holds onto the flowers until I need them. so if they die while they are still in their nursery, their loss not mine...

AUHort1990
02-21-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm getting my order together right now. We also do not grow the flowers ourselves...to much trouble. Although this is the first year I will have to 'bid' out the job. If we spend over a certain amount we have to get at least 3 bids. In the past they just kinda overlooked it for my flowers and I could get anybody to grow them....not anymore :cry:

Marc, with 142 different types I guess you plant alot of perennials?or mainly annuals like begonias?or both? Everytime I get away from planting annuals and try different perennials the beds (pots really we have LOTS of pots and a few beds) start looking like a bunch of weeds after the big show of flowers.

MarcSmith
02-21-2007, 02:14 PM
that list is 100% annual nothing stays.... here it is...
Canna 3 types, Ageratum Hawaii Blue, Alternathera Gails Choice, Alyssum 2 types, Bacopa Cabana 2 types, Begonia 6 types, Caladium 4 types,
Calibrachoa Superbells, 3 types, Carexm Ever gold, Cleome Spirit Appleblossom, Coleus 4 types, Cuphea Flamenco Samba, Dahlia 2 types, Dianthus 6 types, Euphorbia Diamond Frost, Fuchsia Shadow Dance 2 types,
Gazania Daybreak Mix, Geranium 8 types, Helichrysum Icicles, Impatien 20 types, Ipomea Margarita, Lantana 7 types, Marigold 2 types, Nemesia opal and pink Innocence, new Guinea 8 types, Oxalis Charmed Wine, Oxalis garden Hardy pink, Pennisetum 3 types, Penta Butterfly Pink, Petunia 10 types, Phlox 2 types, Portulaca Tequila White, Salvia 3 types, Setcreasea Purple Queen
Snap Dragon Montego White, Snapdragon Montego Red, Strobianthus, Swedish Ivy varigated, Torenia Summer wave amythyst, Torenia Summer wave violet, Verbena Babylon 3 types, Vinca 11 types, Zinna Star Orange,
Zinna Star White

I guess from you climate some of these are perennials...I love to find a cold hardy lantanna

AUHort1990
02-21-2007, 02:44 PM
We treat all of our beds and pots as annuals even if we plant a perennial. We always plant pansies and violas in winter so we have to make room for them by removing everything.

MarcSmith
02-21-2007, 03:12 PM
We treat all of our beds and pots as annuals even if we plant a perennial. We always plant pansies and violas in winter so we have to make room for them by removing everything.

we some pansies in the fall, but by the time spring rolls around they look like chit.... with no supplemental h2o it does em in....

Dollar Spot
03-05-2007, 12:25 PM
There must be something about flowers and the SEC. I'm an old UT grad. We put in about 6000 annuals on the golf course each year. I'm trying to cut back and convert to more perennials. Seems like us Vols are always a bridesmaid to the gators.

Dollar Spot
03-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Where did you guys get your avatars?

AUHort1990
03-05-2007, 12:51 PM
I um....cough...'borrowed'...cough...mine from the Auburn University chapter of ALCA.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort//ALCA/ALCA.htm

MarcSmith
03-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I um....cough...'borrowed'...cough...mine from the Auburn University chapter of ALCA.

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort//ALCA/ALCA.htm

I picked mine up from one of the many gator sites.

Come on How hard can it be to find a Big
"T"

:)

You guys were not such pushovers in basketball this year....You and Vandy...kicked butt

http://www.flagline.com/images/univ/u-tennessee.jpg
http://valuecarpetonline.com/tennessee-ar.jpg
http://www.ezvaneweathervanes.com/college/utenn.gif

here a few for you. you might want to resize them...

Geez now I need to wash my keyboard...:)

Dollar Spot
03-05-2007, 02:46 PM
I went to their bookstore to copy a flag but it was copyrighted and wouldn't let me. I guess I'll keep looking or make one myself. Thanks!

Dollar Spot
03-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info. Orange is kind of hard to get off the keyboard isn't it. I'm sure your talking about the Lady Vols, don't think the men have a team. LOL

MarcSmith
03-07-2007, 11:48 AM
the Men Vols and men Vandy both beat the gators last week....and both by 10 points or more....

even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again....

Dollar Spot
03-07-2007, 12:05 PM
It would be nice to see them in the NCAA instead of the NIT. Thanks for the help on the avatar. Don't puke every time you see it!

MarcSmith
03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
I'd much rather watch an SEC team, even if not the gators... than just about any other team in another division....

AUHort1990
03-07-2007, 12:56 PM
I'd much rather watch an SEC team, even if not the gators... than just about any other team in another division....

I agree. Except for Bama...can't stand'em............at all.

Dollar Spot
03-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Being born and raised in Ohio, I have to love the Buckeyes even though they let me down and got there butts kicked. The Vols come first for me though. Bama - I feel the same way. Roll tide roll, around the bowl and down the hole, roll tide roll. The Buckeyes b-ball team isn't doing to bad this year.

Dollar Spot
03-19-2007, 12:43 PM
I have snowdrops blooming, but they're covered with ice now.

Dollar Spot
03-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Snowdrops and crocus are blooming and the daffodils are popping up.

MarcSmith
03-26-2007, 08:01 AM
I start taking my pics today, once I clean up the mess of the students partys fromthe NCAA games....

Only one bonfire reported....

PurpHaze
03-26-2007, 09:06 AM
An impressive comeback in regulation and total domination in overtime! :clapping:

MarcSmith
03-26-2007, 09:46 AM
An impressive comeback in regulation and total domination in overtime! :clapping:

ened up finding five more bonfire sites, and the studetns are already camping out in front the gym for the tickets....

If we win or lose, I'm screwed either way....

Dollar Spot
03-26-2007, 03:53 PM
You'll have to thank the student body for keeping you busy!

MarcSmith
03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
You'll have to thank the student body for keeping you busy!

I'l have to confiscate a few kegs to get my mood up.

Of course if the gators beat GU in the finals....I'll be happy....

I had an all SEC final four...in my Brackets....

Dollar Spot
04-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Cold weather is coming and that will put and end to the magnolias blooming and possibly the daffodils. What a bummer.

AUHort1990
04-04-2007, 12:54 PM
I hate that. Our Saucer Mags almost made it through but a lot of them got burnt by the last freeze awhile back. Our azaleas are in full bloom. Hopefully it will not get to cold down here to hurt them. I think the lows will be in the upper 30's and low 40's so they should be ok.

Dollar Spot
04-04-2007, 01:06 PM
We're looking at the low 20's so it's really going to hurt. The forsythia have been blooming for only 5 days and the blooms are the only thing nice about the plant. Last year they seemed to hold on for weeks and got that really deep colored as they aged.

Dollar Spot
04-05-2007, 01:02 AM
The snow is on the way tonight but I'm thinking of summer.

Dollar Spot
04-05-2007, 01:28 AM
I wanted to post a picture or two but I can't seem to figure it out.

MarcSmith
04-05-2007, 07:41 AM
when you post your reply click eithe go advanced(if youa re doing the quick reply) or manage attachments. you can either up load form you computer or a website. size is limited to 800x800 i believe.

Dollar Spot
04-05-2007, 09:02 AM
I was able to upload my photo, but I couldn't get it into my reply. Does it show up in your reply before you post it or after you post it? I think I'm going to go to the picture thread and try there.

MarcSmith
04-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I was able to upload my photo, but I couldn't get it into my reply. Does it show up in your reply before you post it or after you post it? I think I'm going to go to the picture thread and try there.

after...........

Dollar Spot
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
I think I'm missing a step. I get a message about upload errors. I'm going to try a smaller size. It was the size....dah

Dollar Spot
04-05-2007, 10:59 AM
This is what I'm thinking about even though we have snow on the ground and they won't bloom for a while.

MarcSmith
04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
I'll get out today a take a few pics....before the freeze.......

PurpHaze
04-06-2007, 12:44 AM
You can hit the "Preview Post" button after you upload your picture and it'll show you both the text and the picture(s) exactly as they'll appear when posted.

Dollar Spot
04-07-2007, 11:38 AM
It will be interesting to see what this freeze does to all the flowers that are up and blooming. My daffodils look like they been run over by a roller.

MarcSmith
04-08-2007, 12:13 PM
at least you did not have snow....:cry:

Dollar Spot
04-08-2007, 01:20 PM
They had 20" just 30 minutes north of me so we definately lucked out that way.