PDA

View Full Version : trailer setup ?

turfscape
02-20-2007, 07:52 PM
i almost got my trailer the way i want it, but i can't figure out where to put my rakes and shovels and such. if anyone could post some pics with their trailers, i would appreciate it. thanks

deereman
02-20-2007, 08:38 PM
If you look thru the threads in the marketplace, you will find one thats for sale, so you could see that one!

Kickin Your Grass
02-20-2007, 09:59 PM
i almost got my trailer the way i want it, but i can't figure out where to put my rakes and shovels and such. if anyone could post some pics with their trailers, i would appreciate it. thanks

I'm looking for the same thing!

KS_Grasscutter
02-20-2007, 10:07 PM
The best thing I have seen is a piece of large diameter PVC pipe across the hitch right up against the front of the trailer. Then you can just slide the handles in the pipe, and use a tarp strap to keep them in. That way they are not taking up space on the trailer, and they are using otherwise useless space.

Lynden-Jeff
02-20-2007, 10:26 PM
I put my racks on the left side, closest to the front. I find then it isn't blocking my view.

Cheers
Jeff

lifetree
02-20-2007, 10:43 PM
This is a picture of my trailer along with equipment, however, you can see the placement of the racks.

turfscape
02-20-2007, 11:55 PM
hey lifetree. where did you get those racks at? i like those alot. and by the way, nice setup.

lifetree
02-21-2007, 12:01 AM
All of the racks are from Buyer's Products Company, the tongue box is from DWS (I think), and the gate lift assist is from Rack Em Mfg., all of these items were purchased and installed at Truck & Trailers, USA, here in Chattanooga, TN.

turfscape
02-21-2007, 12:10 AM
thanks man

metro36
02-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Lifetree

Have you ever tried putting that billy goat 33 in the back of your truck? I am looking into buying one and I wonder if I could drive it up into the back of an f-150 using curved ramps.

PearceLawn
02-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey Lifetree, How come you didn't put you racks on the side of the trailer facing the curb? As it is now, you will be standing out in the traffic lane to retrieve your stuff. Just a thought.

Metro36- I used to have a similar 33" mower and used ramps made from 2 by 8's and ramp ends from Harbor Freight. I am sure the curved ones you speak of will work great.

metro36
02-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey Lifetree, How come you didn't put you racks on the side of the trailer facing the curb? As it is now, you will be standing out in the traffic lane to retrieve your stuff. Just a thought.

Metro36- I used to have a similar 33" mower and used ramps made from 2 by 8's and ramp ends from Harbor Freight. I am sure the curved ones you speak of will work great.

GotGreen
02-21-2007, 12:44 PM
All of the racks are from Buyer's Products Company.

Can you get a close-up shot of the trimmer rack, do your trimmers turn upside down, just curios, I have Jungle Jim's and won't change them.

Ups, I see your trimmers are sideways...

lifetree
02-21-2007, 10:32 PM

PearceLawn -- That's an interesting observation about where I placed the trimmer rack, answer is that's just where I decided to put it. I guess I could park facing traffic flow when I'm at client site, however, in residential areas I'm not sure it would be that much of an issue.

Metro36 -- No, I haven't tried to put the WB in the truck because i haven't had a need to since I have the trailer. Having said that, I would accept PearceLawn's comment as an answer.

Oyster Point
02-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Personally, I hate seeing rake's and such sticking straight up in the air. Looks like Sanford and Son's coming to town. Sorry

PearceLawn
02-22-2007, 06:48 AM
[QUOTE=lifetree;1719673]PearceLawn -- That's an interesting observation about where I placed the trimmer rack, answer is that's just where I decided to put it. I guess I could park facing traffic flow when I'm at client site, however, in residential areas I'm not sure it would be that much of an issue.

Lifetree- I have a couple of spots where the speed limit is 45 and the IDIOT limit is out of this world so I was sure,for my situation, to put it on the other side. No biggie for you if you are safe. Hate to see the good folks here get hurt. Especially the ones with thier head screwed on straight!!!

lifetree
02-22-2007, 10:23 PM
Personally, I hate seeing rake's and such sticking straight up in the air. Looks like Sanford and Son's coming to town. Sorry

Oyster Point -- What do you suggest ? How do you handle lawn tools such as this ? To my knowledge, the only trailer racks available for these items place them in that type of position ... so, I'm really curious what you suggest ??

turfscape
02-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Can yall post some pics of some toolboxes on the tongue of the trailer. Alot of people say they have them. But the guy i cut grass with before had one and you couldn't turn the jack handle to let the jack down. So can someone please show me how to mount one so I can still let me jack down easily. Thanks

Oyster Point
02-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Lifetree, I'm only kidding. I really don't know of any other way to get away from that look, unless you lay them down, or put them in the back of the truck, but that's not practical. I got away from that by getting an enclosed. I used to have a couple of open, and I just got tired of covering the equipment, or worrying about theft.

waterboy1
02-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Glad to see someone else in my area. Goodluck this yr and hope all goes well.

Jason

lifetree
02-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Can yall post some pics of some toolboxes on the tongue of the trailer. Alot of people say they have them. But the guy i cut grass with before had one and you couldn't turn the jack handle to let the jack down. So can someone please show me how to mount one so I can still let me jack down easily. Thanks

Turfscape -- If you look at my picture (on page 1 of this thread) you'll see that a tool box is on the tongue of my trailer and I can readily turn the jack handle to raise and lower the jack stand. My tool box is the 34" size.

lifetree
02-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Lifetree, I'm only kidding. I really don't know of any other way to get away from that look, unless you lay them down, or put them in the back of the truck, but that's not practical. I got away from that by getting an enclosed. I used to have a couple of open, and I just got tired of covering the equipment, or worrying about theft.

Everything on my trailer is secured with a padlock of some type ... except the ZTR and the lawn tools (i.e.-rake, etc.). I guess I figure that they would need a crane to get the ZTR (i.e.-the tail gate has a padlock to) and the lawn tools can be replaced fairly easily.

J&R Landscaping
02-23-2007, 09:50 PM
You can also get racks from greentouch. www.greentouch.com is the web site. You can also get some made by grid iron. Jungle jims is another brand too.

METRO 36:
BTW, you can get them ramp ends at home depot or lowes as well. they come in different widths either for 8", or 10".

lifetree
02-23-2007, 10:13 PM
PearceLawn -- That's an interesting observation about where I placed the trimmer rack, answer is that's just where I decided to put it. I guess I could park facing traffic flow when I'm at client site, however, in residential areas I'm not sure it would be that much of an issue.

PearceLawn -- I've been kind of thinking about this and I guess I should also mention that I saw several trailers here in my area with their trimmer racks set up that way as well ... and that's what lead to place it where I did on the trailer. Having said that, you are also right about the safety issue with the rack being on that side of the trailer.

ed2hess
02-23-2007, 10:34 PM

It makes a difference it is unsafe....and much easier for people to cut your lock in a snatch and drive off.

PearceLawn
02-24-2007, 09:11 AM
PearceLawn -- I've been kind of thinking about this and I guess I should also mention that I saw several trailers here in my area with their trimmer racks set up that way as well ... and that's what lead to place it where I did on the trailer. Having said that, you are also right about the safety issue with the rack being on that side of the trailer.

Lifetree- I am sorry if you think that I am downing what you did with the rack. I am not. I know you are intelligent enough to make the right choice for it's placement. Around here it is too busy on the street side to be out there. I was just concerned on the safety thing. I used to drive a full size Chevy truck and someone on a busy street got close enough to me to tear the mirror off. If you are safe,cool, I hate to see someone get hurt and loose everything because someone else wasn't watching out. Just keep safe.

metro36
02-24-2007, 03:02 PM
You can also get racks from greentouch. www.greentouch.com is the web site. You can also get some made by grid iron. Jungle jims is another brand too.

METRO 36:
BTW, you can get them ramp ends at home depot or lowes as well. they come in different widths either for 8", or 10".
Thanks but I already have wide aluminum curved ramps. They fold and are 10-12 inches wide (not sure exact width).

lifetree
02-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Lifetree- I am sorry if you think that I am downing what you did with the rack. I am not. I know you are intelligent enough to make the right choice for it's placement.

Not taken that way at all ... I just added the follow-up thought as an additional explanation.

stuffdeer
02-24-2007, 06:14 PM
Lifetree....How do you like the STX F-150? The 4.6 good enough to pull your 6x12?

Young Lawn Boy
02-24-2007, 10:11 PM
lifetree...about the box i want to get one for my trailer but i want a wider one...would i be able to do this and still be able to make turns

lifetree
02-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Lifetree....How do you like the STX F-150? The 4.6 good enough to pull your 6x12?

I like the F-150, and yes, it has more than enough power to pull my trailer ... my truck is rated with a rear axle ratio of 3.73 and the owner manual says it can tow a a maximum of 7,100 pounds, which is more than enough. I also have that truck so I can tow a 24' boat ... mind you, I sold my 24' last year, but I will replace it with another boat sometime this year. Having said that, the truck i have is really overkill for pulling my 6x12 utility trailer.

lifetree
02-25-2007, 05:38 PM
lifetree...about the box i want to get one for my trailer but i want a wider one...would i be able to do this and still be able to make turns

They make a wider tongue tool box, I think it's 48" and I believe it is the same width as mine ... therefore, I would think you would be OK. However, you need to check this out with the trialer you have before you actually buy one.

jrc lawncare
02-25-2007, 07:55 PM
i almost got my trailer the way i want it, but i can't figure out where to put my rakes and shovels and such. if anyone could post some pics with their trailers, i would appreciate it. thanks Here's a pic of one of ours.... Just strictly pvcs mounted to the gas & blower box...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/jrservices/scan0002.jpg....anotherhttp://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/jrservices/trailerpic1.jpg

chuck bow
02-26-2007, 06:33 PM
nice trailer and setup JRC

jrc lawncare
02-26-2007, 06:45 PM
nice trailer and setup JRC Thank you sir. About $2600.00 out the door. Tows like a dream, she's a 2006.:)

PearceLawn
02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
jrc- Very nice. One question, does the box have a lid so it can be locked up? Hard to tell from the pics.

Thanks.

jrc lawncare
02-26-2007, 08:29 PM
jrc- Very nice. One question, does the box have a lid so it can be locked up? Hard to tell from the pics.

Thanks. Good point. The side facing you is fully enclosed with mesh only on top, you can see the side door with the hasp on it. It only goes halfway across. The other side is enclosed with mesh, except for the top. I can fit two pb-650 blowers in it from the top , & access them fairly easily. The lockable side, I put all gas & oil, spare loaded string refills, & miscellenous tools & wrenches. Here's nother pic, but I don't think it shows it too good either.......http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/jrservices/scan0001.jpg

PearceLawn
02-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Boy am I jealous!!! Nice trailer for sure. Think I am gonna have to get me a new one pretty soon. I am about to order my Q36 but maybe later this year or next year early.

Thanks.

jrc lawncare
02-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Boy am I jealous!!! Nice trailer for sure. Think I am gonna have to get me a new one pretty soon. I am about to order my Q36 but maybe later this year or next year early.

Thanks.Been a while getting to this point. Started with 6x12. We have also a small one , 5x8, 7x18 for landscaping tractor, plus this green 7x16. Probably $7,000.00 total in trailers. Good trailers are worth their weight, I tell ya.:) :)

PearceLawn
02-26-2007, 09:02 PM
I have a 14 footer. I am just a solo op so one works for me. After 10 years doing this I have had a few myself but I have been happy with this one for a while now. Only problem I have had with it is the lights and I am rewiring the whole thing this year to put l.e.d.'s on it anyway so problem solved there.

I am learning to weld and I think I am gonna use a box on the trailer as a starter project after I get more comfortable. I do like yours though and buying a new one all set up is very appealing.

If you don't mind me asking,where in upstate n.y. are you?

lifetree
02-26-2007, 09:57 PM
nice trailer and setup JRC

JRC -- I have to agree with the others, that is a very nice trailer ... what I especially like about it is the green color, everything else I have seen on trailers for color is black. Also, how long is the ramp on it ? It looks like 5 or 6 feet, on mine the ramp is only 4 feet.

jrc lawncare
02-26-2007, 10:23 PM
JRC -- I have to agree with the others, that is a very nice trailer ... what I especially like about it is the green color, everything else I have seen on trailers for color is black. Also, how long is the ramp on it ? It looks like 5 or 6 feet, on mine the ramp is only 4 feet. It is a 5' with split gate.

jrc lawncare
02-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I have a 14 footer. I am just a solo op so one works for me. After 10 years doing this I have had a few myself but I have been happy with this one for a while now. Only problem I have had with it is the lights and I am rewiring the whole thing this year to put l.e.d.'s on it anyway so problem solved there.

I am learning to weld and I think I am gonna use a box on the trailer as a starter project after I get more comfortable. I do like yours though and buying a new one all set up is very appealing.

If you don't mind me asking,where in upstate n.y. are you? Washington County, 60 miles northeast of Albany.

PearceLawn
02-27-2007, 06:24 AM
jrc- I'll bet you have some nice scenery up there. Good luck this year and stay safe!!!

jrc lawncare
02-27-2007, 07:57 AM
jrc- I'll bet you have some nice scenery up there. Good luck this year and stay safe!!! That we do. plus about 3' of snow last week that would have been better spread out instead of in one day. I'm tired of plowing. Thanks.

lawnagent
03-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey lifetree! I was just down in your neck of the woods over the weekend! I was in Soddy-Daisy! I bought me a Dixon off ebay and went down there and picked it up!

lawnagent
03-06-2007, 04:20 PM
This one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190085566256&rd=1&rd=1

mcwlandscaping
03-06-2007, 04:40 PM
This is a picture of my trailer along with equipment, however, you can see the placement of the racks.
What kind of trailer is that?

chuck bow
03-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Hey jrc get ya a can of primer and a can of green paint and paint that rack to match it will look very very good then , I had some black racks on mine and finally got them painted red to match the trailer this past winter

ScagBoy09
03-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Hey jrc get ya a can of primer and a can of green paint and paint that rack to match it will look very very good then , I had some black racks on mine and finally got them painted red to match the trailer this past winter

Yeah I bought a Jungle Jims trimmer rack and it came red, but my trailers black so I will have to do the oppostie you did lol.

lifetree
03-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Hey lifetree! I was just down in your neck of the woods over the weekend! I was in Soddy-Daisy! I bought me a Dixon off ebay and went down there and picked it up!

That's al ong way to come to get a mower lawnagent ... you must have wanted that Dixon somethin' awful ??

jrc lawncare
03-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Hey jrc get ya a can of primer and a can of green paint and paint that rack to match it will look very very good then , I had some black racks on mine and finally got them painted red to match the trailer this past winter Ya, I gotta get around to that. Been crazy here, still running around getting last few things ready for spring.

lawnagent
03-07-2007, 12:53 PM
That's al ong way to come to get a mower lawnagent ... you must have wanted that Dixon somethin' awful ??

Did you follow the link and look at it? And the price I got it for? I did not feel I could pass that one up, even with the trip. It cost me about 150 bucks total to make trip down there and back. :clapping:

Here is the link again. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...6256&rd=1&rd=1