PDA

View Full Version : Load Handler??? Is it worth the money??

SpruceLandscape
02-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Thinking about just getting a couple of the load handler 3000's for putting into the back of my trucks that just cut grass. One of them is a Six foot bed, other is a eight. Has anyone used these? do they work pretty decent for handling grass clippings? I have a line on a dump insert for the eight footer, but they are hard to come by used for a six footer. Didn't know if they will mess with the paint on the tailgate or bed area where it attaches when the tailgate is in the up position. for approx $150 a piece, thought I would at least give one a try for the six footer and see how it goes

KS_Grasscutter
02-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Thinking about just getting a couple of the load handler 3000's for putting into the back of my trucks that just cut grass. One of them is a Six foot bed, other is a eight. Has anyone used these? do they work pretty decent for handling grass clippings? I have a line on a dump insert for the eight footer, but they are hard to come by used for a six footer. Didn't know if they will mess with the paint on the tailgate or bed area where it attaches when the tailgate is in the up position. for approx $150 a piece, thought I would at least give one a try for the six footer and see how it goes

I have a load handler for my Ranger, really makes things a LOT easier. It does booger up the paint a little on the tail gate if you leave it on there all the time like I was, but that isn't that big of deal in my opinion. I am going to get a fullsize one for my Chevy this spring too. They work really good, but you have to be sure and use a pitchfork to clear out anything infront of the wheelwells, as it will "lock" the load in and your loadhandler will just pull out from underneath the load.

Price seems kinda high though, around here they are like $80 at Orschelin.

Eclipse
02-20-2007, 09:40 PM
The 2000's are around $80 or less and the 3000's are around $150 so the price seems pretty good to me.

For years I thought they were junk but then I finally bought one because I got such a great deal on it, $30 for a 2000, and now I feel stupid for not buying one sooner. They are worth every penny IMO

jtkplc
02-20-2007, 09:44 PM
I think for what you get with your money, they are a great investment.

grandview (2006)
02-20-2007, 09:49 PM
I used one for years but I had it for my ranger now I have F250 so it's not as wide so I have to clean out the sides a little bit.

KS_Grasscutter
02-20-2007, 10:03 PM
The 2000's are around $80 or less and the 3000's are around $150 so the price seems pretty good to me.

For years I thought they were junk but then I finally bought one because I got such a great deal on it, $30 for a 2000, and now I feel stupid for not buying one sooner. They are worth every penny IMO

Ok, I didnt know that there was the commercial (3000) version. Looking at the site, that would probably be the one to get then, even though it is a little more $$.

LawnTamer
02-20-2007, 10:12 PM
I got a 2000 for my anniversary in 1999. We dump 2-4 loads a week of grass and a few loads a year of rocks or mulch, still going strong, with the labor it has saved, it has paid for itself hundreds of times over.

Uranus
02-20-2007, 10:25 PM
I think for $150 they do alot of work for you. I had one.

I'll tell you right now that once I droped the 3 grand for a dump insert I will never use my Load Handler again. Now that I look back at it they suck. Dont take me wrong they save alot of time forking stuff out.
My opinion is if your going to be using it alot then you can get it for now and TRASH your tailgate but save some money and buy the dump insert.
Your going to bust your butt trying to get leaves out if you have a leaf box on the truck.

stuffdeer
02-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Guys...

Whats the website for this Loadhandler?

tnmtn
02-21-2007, 12:18 AM
www.loadhandler.com

Jason Rose
02-21-2007, 12:33 AM
I have one, it's not even the "professional" model, and it held up VERY well over the years. I think I used it for about 4 years, grass, dirt, even some rock. I could put everything I had into cranking the handle, even tweaked the handle some, but never broke it!

I'd highly advise to get the slick mat for under it. The less friction under the drag mat the heavier of a load you will be able to slide on it. Also, if you are using it for grass, don't forget to roll it out and clean it once in a while!!!

Iv'e had a dump bed now for about 5 years, but I still have the old load handler for back up just incase I need it! And Iv'e actually had to strap it onto my good truck and use it for a while... Glad I had it. Hell of a good investment!

supercuts
02-21-2007, 08:06 AM
i used one a few years only to unload a leaf box built in the back of an 8' bed. it worked fairly well, i did have to put plywood down v shaped from the sides over the wheel wells to keep it from getting stuck. we would staple the cloth to the front up high and it woudl pull a load of dry leaves out as one big brick. it was time consuming and was extremely difficult with wet leavse. i did have the commerical model. also i bought the rubber mat which goes on the bed floor and helps it slide. its for sale if you want it, i stopped using taht setup 5 years ago. i would conider an ez dump though.

supercuts
02-21-2007, 08:08 AM
oh, buy the way, i went through 3 crank handles because they were a bit flimsy. the did send me new ones though

SpruceLandscape
02-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Like I said, I have a line on a used dump insert for the 8 ft. bed, but Its tough to come by a used insert for the 6 ft. bed, thats why I was considering the loadhandler 3000 for it. Can't imagine that even with sides on the pickup bed that we would be able to load up a 6 ft. bed with enough grass clipings to make this thing not work. My main concern is chewing up the tailgate area of the truck. I have a line-x liner in the truck, had them take it up over the sides of the bed rails and tailgate, but still don't want there to be a bunch of scratches or crankmarks worn into the tailgate as this is a fairly new truck.I would definately get the mat because of the spray in liner. Also, if anyone knows of a 6ft. dump insert thats in good shape, please get back to me. I have only found one within reasonable distance, but its aluminum and dude still wants premium bucks for it.

Shawns Lawns
02-25-2007, 06:06 AM
I have one and like it alot. But i do not have a dump insert to compare it to. Right now i think its great and has saved me a ton of time unloading the truck bed. I did put 2x12x8's on either side of the wheel wells so i never have to shovel or clean out anything i just crank the handle and everything come out of the bed.

supercuts
02-25-2007, 08:25 AM
not sure were you are to the seller but check ebay, i see 6' dump inserts a lot

PORTER 05
02-25-2007, 03:47 PM
never used them , a pritty big company has a few of them on there grass trucks, they must be good or they wouldnt use them...

tthomass
02-25-2007, 06:22 PM
What about stuff getting under it as you roll and in the roller?

SpruceLandscape
02-26-2007, 07:12 AM
I have been watching ebay for some time trying to keep an eye out for the six foot inserts, but haven't seen much other than 8'. I bit the bullet and just went ahead and ordered one of the loadhandler 3000's along with the bed mat since i've got a sprayed in liner in that truck. see em on ebay for about 155 plus the mat. Don't see many of the heavy duty ones used for sale on ebay, so maybe thats a good thing =o) Besides, if it doesn't work out, its just a $200 lesson that I should be able to get at least a $100 back from. Thanks for all your input though. I'll let you know how it works out!!

thebobcatkid86
03-03-2007, 08:27 PM
So you guys that have them, do you think it would stand up to gravel, clay, and topsoil on a regular basis? I have been thinkling of getting one for my Dakota because I know I wont be able to afford a real dump truck any time soon. My Dakota has a factory drop in bed liner just to let you know.

corey4671
03-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I've seen guys on here talking about putting boards around the wheelwells to keep debris from getting stuck. Does anyone have photos of this setup that they could share so we can see what you are talkin about? I am SERIOUSLY considering a couple of loadhandlers but I would like to see what you guys are referring to about the boards. Thanks :usflag:

corey4671
03-11-2007, 03:47 PM
:usflag: :weightlifter:

nobagger
03-11-2007, 06:31 PM

I have one for sale, its only a year old! Its in great shape with no tares or rips and comes with two handles. The right side tie down is replaced with a ratcheting tie down. (works even better with that) first $75.00 takes it.

corey4671
03-11-2007, 06:38 PM
I have one for sale, its only a year old! Its in great shape with no tares or rips and comes with two handles. The right side tie down is replaced with a ratcheting tie down. (works even better with that) first $75.00 takes it.

DAMMIT! I just bought one off EBAY for $150 :cry: is this the HD model?

nobagger
03-11-2007, 06:59 PM
DAMMIT! I just bought one off EBAY for $150 :cry: is this the HD model?

YEP! we bought a dump bed insert so I dont need it any more. Last year we bought a new truck so I didnt want to put this on the tailgate with only 2 weeks of mowing left.

kandklandscape
03-11-2007, 11:26 PM
love em got them for all of our trucks, try ebay, bought one other day for $75 plus $30 shipping for the 3000 model

Budget
03-12-2007, 08:42 AM
nobager,
Where in pa. are you? I might be intrested in that, and might have time today to look at it. pm with a phone # asap.

Thanks.

nobagger
03-12-2007, 09:40 AM
nobager,
Where in pa. are you? I might be intrested in that, and might have time today to look at it. pm with a phone # asap.

Thanks.

I am in Erie Pa

Budget
03-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks nobagger, to far to check out. I am near Philly area.
Thanks

Grn Mtn
05-30-2007, 09:56 AM
I've seen guys on here talking about putting boards around the wheelwells to keep debris from getting stuck. Does anyone have photos of this setup that they could share so we can see what you are talkin about? I am SERIOUSLY considering a couple of loadhandlers but I would like to see what you guys are referring to about the boards. Thanks :usflag:

if your still interested let me know and I'll post picts of what I just came up with.

Grn Mtn
05-30-2007, 10:01 AM
So you guys that have them, do you think it would stand up to gravel, clay, and topsoil on a regular basis? I have been thinkling of getting one for my Dakota because I know I wont be able to afford a real dump truck any time soon. My Dakota has a factory drop in bed liner just to let you know.

I've put mine through the ringer this spring, tons of broken cement, gravel, mulch, cut pavers. works awesome for the price, but if your going to be doing the heavier stuff go with the 3000 model, still a great time saver if your like me and not able to get the dump trailer just yet.

I ended up making the side boards so no more cleaning out of the wheel wells.

corey4671
05-30-2007, 07:36 PM
if your still interested let me know and I'll post picts of what I just came up with.

pics would be great.. i bought the heavy duty loadhandler and it works great except for the whole getting stuff stuck behind the wheelwells