PDA

View Full Version : Dodge is steppin up to the plate...

Willofalltrades
02-20-2007, 10:47 PM
So I see Dodge is comming out with a 4500 and a 5500. Anybody know anything about these models?

Take a peak (http://www.dodge.com/commercial/index.html)

mrusk
02-20-2007, 10:49 PM
We all basicaly know the same amount about them.

I may buy one in the future. i love my 05 3/4 ton cummins so far!

Willofalltrades
02-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Yea but is there anything unique about them is what I want to know. I'm a Ford fan but if dodge makes a product worth looking at i'll set my brand loyalty a side and visit a dodge dealership.

Then again I just got a job at a Ford dealer selling new/ used cars and trucks so Never Mind! lol But still... any dirt on them or what do you think about them? Think they will make Ford and GM sweat?

Swampy
02-21-2007, 01:35 AM
Then again I just got a job at a Ford dealer selling new/ used cars and trucks so Never Mind! lol But still... any dirt on them or what do you think about them? Think they will make Ford and GM sweat?

Yeah they are going to sweat cause Dodge is cutting into there pie.

Willofalltrades
02-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Hopefully the war gets more intense and we see the best of the three manufacturers. Thats what I love... we benefit from their fight.

lawn guy1350
02-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Ford and GM are not going to sweat one bit. the quality is still not there in a dodge...i would continue to stay with ford in my honest opinion. they make much better trucks. and the new 6.4 powerstroke is going to be hard to beat. but im curious to see the new 6.7 cummins, and what the Lmm duramax will do.

jt5019
02-21-2007, 09:53 PM
The new dodges are looking pretty darn nice to me. The 2008 ford and Chevy's have the ugliest front ends Ive ever seen.

jtkplc
02-21-2007, 10:08 PM
The new dodges are looking pretty darn nice to me. The 2008 ford and Chevy's have the ugliest front ends Ive ever seen.

AMEN!!!!!!!!

mrusk
02-21-2007, 10:12 PM
I just wish all the manufactures would build trucks that get better mileage! We now have all the power we could need, now we need beter mileage!

neighborstree
02-21-2007, 10:54 PM
im a dodge guy my self. but the new ford twin turbo has me curious to go test drive 1. i was alwas wondering why dodge did not have a big truck devision. i think they should go big and come with a 6500 and 7500 ad so on

Swampy
02-22-2007, 04:36 AM
Dodge is a lot younger company then Ford or GM. They want to test the waters first before jumping in head strong into the commerical truck market. Long story short learn to crawl then walk.

Willofalltrades
02-22-2007, 12:02 PM

I donno bout you guys but the new Ford design is growing on me.

sildoc
02-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I just wish all the manufactures would build trucks that get better mileage! We now have all the power we could need, now we need beter mileage!

Heck I don't know about you but my 06 dodge cummins is getting 18 in city and 24 on highway. That and it only had a little over 12000 miles so it should get better. If they get the 4500 and 5500 to get near that unloaded I would be more than happy. Im guessing right around 14 and 18 unloaded. That is pretty good.

mrusk
02-22-2007, 12:48 PM
my 05 3/4 ton auto gets 14.5 around town and about 17 on the highway at 75-80. At 33k miles.

Tim Wright
02-22-2007, 01:47 PM
I just bought on 07 Duramaz dually. Love it.

Tim

haybaler
02-22-2007, 02:07 PM
The Kodaks are ugly. I just saw the '08 f350 and I like it. I'm definately sticking with dodge though. the cummins are proven. the new 6.7 is the same proven greatness with a few add ons to meet emissions. the new 6.4 is a completely redesigned motor where nothing is proven. it may be a piece of junk like the 6.0. also the new standard desing of the dodge frame is stronger and compatible with any body. the rest of the truck is same as ever.

mrusk
02-22-2007, 02:17 PM
Isn't freightliner a diamler benz company?

J&R Landscaping
02-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Isn't freightliner a diamler benz company?

Pretty sure they are!

I test drove one of the new 6.7 cummins in a 3500 c&c and it was nice! Plenty of power and good handling. I can't wait to see the new 4500 and 5500 c&c's.

I saw one of the new 08 f350 c&c's at a dealer yesterday. It was an ext cab XL version. It had the vinly bucket seats with a fold down center console. Also had a CD player in it which I thought was a good option in the XL class! I'm still not a big fan of the interior though..

Tim Wright
02-22-2007, 03:28 PM
The cummins is definetly a nice motor. When Dodge puts the
Allison tranny in with it, it will be a nice combo.

Tim

Scag48
02-22-2007, 05:10 PM
If I had to buy a truck tomorrow it would be a Dodge with the Cummins a manual transmission. You can't get slapped by Dodge's automatic tranny BS if you have balls enough to run a manual. I will agree, Dodge's do tend to fall apart a little sooner and the interiors are a little bland, but if you're just looking for a work truck, who cares? IMO, the Cummins has both the Powerstroke and Duramax beat by a long ways. But, I will be curious to see how the 6.4 Fords hold up.

neighborstree
02-22-2007, 06:33 PM
ive been curious why they dont have a allison in them for yearssssss.

totally off topic. i read in a magazine that a few companies have been tossing around the idea of putting a cat engine in pickups. now theres a brand i would buy. i dont care if its toyota lol

lawnmaniac883
02-22-2007, 06:47 PM
The new twin turbo 6.4 ford psd isn't gonna be all it's cracked up to be. The only reason there are twins is so that ford can meet tier 2 emissions with the motor. International told ford the only way they can make the engine meet emissions is with two small turbos, ford was upset about that but had no other choice. Now its gonna be all this marketing hype BS with ford saying their twin's are all that blah blah blah. Bottom line they are two small chitty turbos slapped together for emissions. Dont be expecting great performance out of that motor.

BTW dodge's new C&C is looking sweeet.

topsites
02-22-2007, 07:06 PM

Man, you hit the nail on the head there.

I can't stand it, I just replaced an aging 1986 D-250 (a 20+ year old truck) with a 1995 D-2500... Granted, neither is new, but the '95 has a LOT of new technology (fuel injection among them), yet the simple carbureted '86 gets at least as good mpg.

All they did was drive the price of fuel sky high, along with government standards that never required the automakers to improve any over the past 20-some years, it makes me SICK to think all of this is yet another great plot to make more money, at the expense of a precious, limited resource.

But the consumer is not innocent, we demanded time and again that they give this to us. Which, when you drive one of the powerless tools of the 80's, one can easily see how this came about, but then why didn't they put t... Ahhh, forget it, it's all in the past anyway.

A friggin' 6-liter 320 horsepower engine...
The fuel needle moves slow, but then it also takes 30 gallons to fill'er up, my '86 never took that much, this thing eats fuel like the space shuttle.
I like the power, still they could've cut 10% of that and gave me more miles per gallon, I'm sure the 2500 would fare decent with the ole' 318cid.

mrusk
02-22-2007, 08:01 PM
I wonder if the new ford engine is going to tank like the 6.0 did.

That would get them deeper in the hole than they already are.

In a couple more years dodge is going to be real good. Look at gm, there trucks have basicly stayed the same for the last 10 years.

Matt

lawn guy1350
02-22-2007, 11:11 PM
The new twin turbo 6.4 ford psd isn't gonna be all it's cracked up to be. The only reason there are twins is so that ford can meet tier 2 emissions with the motor. International told ford the only way they can make the engine meet emissions is with two small turbos, ford was upset about that but had no other choice. Now its gonna be all this marketing hype BS with ford saying their twin's are all that blah blah blah. Bottom line they are two small chitty turbos slapped together for emissions. Dont be expecting great performance out of that motor.

BTW dodge's new C&C is looking sweeet.

dont be expecting great performance? hmmm, its got plenty of performance. its as fast or faster than the duramax. and their not two small turbos, one is full size for high end boost, and the smaller one is for off the line boost. and yes its for emmisions, but its for performance too. trust me, their very fast trucks. go drive one.

lawn guy1350
02-22-2007, 11:14 PM
I wonder if the new ford engine is going to tank like the 6.0 did.

That would get them deeper in the hole than they already are.

In a couple more years dodge is going to be real good. Look at gm, there trucks have basicly stayed the same for the last 10 years.

Matt

i highly doubt this one will tank. they took all the problems from the 6.0, and corrected them with the 6.4L.

Willofalltrades
02-23-2007, 01:41 AM
i highly doubt this one will tank. they took all the problems from the 6.0, and corrected them with the 6.4L.

haha this is comming from a guy with a Dodge! I guess he got a test drive on the new '08 fords. I'm excited to get to see this new motor. If ford flops it and has a poo load of problems... I'll take my brand loyalty to Dodge. I think Ford knows this is NOT a product they want to be unsure about. I think they learned their lesson and this new diesel should show if the company has really changed over the year or not. Mark Fields said it best... Change or die!

I would like to see the CAT go into the Ford F-450 and F-550 and similar models from other makers. I think CAT is a engine that should see nothing but commercial use and maintenance.

tthomass
02-23-2007, 01:55 AM
DT466 swap the Fords :)

Gravel Rat
02-23-2007, 02:23 AM
We will see how well the new Cummins works out being its siamese block its like the 400 Chevy with no coolant around the cylinders. The days are long gone for rebuilding the Cummins.

As for Dodge building a 1.5 ton truck we will see how well it goes if Chevy buys Chrysler the trucks might be discontinued before they even start.

It is funny how Dodge finally clued in there is a market for a 1.5 ton truck when Ford and Chev seen it back in 1988 :laugh:

Supposidly the new Dodge 4500-5500 is built buy Sterling and those trucks are cheapo wagons.

Nobody in the area has a 08 Ford yet so I have no feed back on how well the 6.4 is doing. The diesel option on a Ford is close to a 9000 dollar option the new Cummins will probably be close same with the duramax.

neighborstree
02-23-2007, 02:45 AM
i did get to see the 08 ford at the auto show. it is beautiful! !!!!

but i am sticking to dodge. i am upgrading to a bd twin turbo set up for my dually. 4000 bucks includes a new intercooler and all piping and twin turbos. not to mention ill get 500 hp and 1000 lbs of torque. ill give updates lol

Swampy
02-23-2007, 05:56 AM
sorry but Dodge = Underdog so you got to give at least that.

Lawnworks
02-23-2007, 08:53 AM
We will see how well the new Cummins works out being its siamese block its like the 400 Chevy with no coolant around the cylinders. The days are long gone for rebuilding the Cummins.

As for Dodge building a 1.5 ton truck we will see how well it goes if Chevy buys Chrysler the trucks might be discontinued before they even start.

It is funny how Dodge finally clued in there is a market for a 1.5 ton truck when Ford and Chev seen it back in 1988 :laugh:

Supposidly the new Dodge 4500-5500 is built buy Sterling and those trucks are cheapo wagons.

Nobody in the area has a 08 Ford yet so I have no feed back on how well the 6.4 is doing. The diesel option on a Ford is close to a 9000 dollar option the new Cummins will probably be close same with the duramax.

Uhhh cummins don't need to be rebuilt... by the time they hit 400-500k its time for a new truck anyway.

supercuts
02-23-2007, 10:05 AM
im a ford man, but i heard the new 6.4L is going to be about a $10,000 option. dodge was always the cheaper truck but right now they arent much cheaper than chevy or ford and to me its less of a truck. i had a 97 and it was nothing but senser problems

lawn guy1350
02-23-2007, 04:30 PM

actually its a 6800 dollar option. and i counted yesterday and my dealer has 15 2008 f-250's and 350's and 3 f-450 and 550's. i went and asked the owner how many they have sold, and he said theyve already sold 11. and the owner of the dealer has had an 08 king ranch 4x4 dually since december, hes put 6000 miles on it, and its had zero problems. and gettin 17mpg's on the highway! not bad for a dually!

lawn guy1350
02-23-2007, 04:33 PM
im a ford man, but i heard the new 6.4L is going to be about a $10,000 option.

Where did you hear that?? its not even close! theyre bout 1500 more than the 6.0, mainly cuz of all the emmisions crap!

Willofalltrades
02-23-2007, 06:38 PM
actually its a 6800 dollar option. and i counted yesterday and my dealer has 15 2008 f-250's and 350's and 3 f-450 and 550's. i went and asked the owner how many they have sold, and he said theyve already sold 11. and the owner of the dealer has had an 08 king ranch 4x4 dually since december, hes put 6000 miles on it, and its had zero problems. and gettin 17mpg's on the highway! not bad for a dually!

Your dealer has a decient stock. We didn't get the '08s around here till the middle of Jan. As for myself... I'll hopefully pick up a left over 2007 so that I can put some aftermarket stuff on it like a exhaust, intake, chip, maybe even a FASS fuel filter. I donno, I just like the aftermarket support and I would think the problems are gone from the motor for 2007... their last year lol.

I can't believe hes geting 17MPG. A friend has a 2005 F350 dually with the 6.0l. That thing gets 12.7 MPG and 30,000 miles. I drove it at 20,000 and got 14 on the highway. I think he has a problem with his though... something isn't right when you get similar fuel milage to a V10 gasser.

Lawnguy when are you getting a 2008? It seems like your getting one soon if you don't have it already.

Willofalltrades
02-23-2007, 06:39 PM
As to the price... build one online that will tell you what the new diesel will cost.

mrusk
02-23-2007, 06:39 PM
I think alot of people have internet milage and real life mileage.

lawn guy1350
02-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Your dealer has a decient stock. We didn't get the '08s around here till the middle of Jan. As for myself... I'll hopefully pick up a left over 2007 so that I can put some aftermarket stuff on it like a exhaust, intake, chip, maybe even a FASS fuel filter. I donno, I just like the aftermarket support and I would think the problems are gone from the motor for 2007... their last year lol.

I can't believe hes geting 17MPG. A friend has a 2005 F350 dually with the 6.0l. That thing gets 12.7 MPG and 30,000 miles. I drove it at 20,000 and got 14 on the highway. I think he has a problem with his though... something isn't right when you get similar fuel milage to a V10 gasser.

Lawnguy when are you getting a 2008? It seems like your getting one soon if you don't have it already.

yep, im going to get one in the next year! And the new dual turbos is supposably the cause for the much better fuel mileage. and it has 3.73 gears.

Willofalltrades
02-23-2007, 07:48 PM
yep, im going to get one in the next year! And the new dual turbos is supposably the cause for the much better fuel mileage. and it has 3.73 gears.

Ok that explains it. My friend has 4.10s. he put a Bully dog chip in it... nothing better in the economy part even when its set to that setting...But he does one heck of a burn out! lol
I've told him to go to the dealer with it that his mileage is ridiculous he agrees but for some reason hasn't gone.

Gravel Rat
02-23-2007, 08:17 PM
My prices are in Canadian funds.

The Ford Canada finally has build and price for the 08 Fords the 6.4 Litre is 8570.00 dollar option that is well over 1000 dollars more than a 07 6.0. You want the torqshift behind it that pushes the diesel option to 10,505 Canadian.

mrusk
02-23-2007, 08:30 PM
But you got free health care!

Gravel Rat
02-23-2007, 08:41 PM
We don't get free health care I pay 81 dollars a month for health care. The way the hospitals are going in B.C. you will die before you get treated. Why do you think people from B.C. are heading accross the boarder for surgery.

lawn guy1350
02-24-2007, 01:52 PM
My prices are in Canadian funds.

The Ford Canada finally has build and price for the 08 Fords the 6.4 Litre is 8570.00 dollar option that is well over 1000 dollars more than a 07 6.0. You want the torqshift behind it that pushes the diesel option to 10,505 Canadian.

o didnt know you were in canada. thats rediculous!

lawnmaniac883
02-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Incase ford didnt already have enough blown turbo's on their PSD's now they get 2 to replace for each truck instead of one.

Seriously though they better be praying that this engine does well because this could be the end of ford if this one tanks like the 6.0 did.

Willofalltrades
02-25-2007, 05:22 AM
Incase ford didnt already have enough blown turbo's on their PSD's now they get 2 to replace for each truck instead of one.

Seriously though they better be praying that this engine does well because this could be the end of ford if this one tanks like the 6.0 did.

Replacement parts would scare the Poo out of me. Oh well... I'll jst get the extended warranty and forget about it.

This diesel might hold its own though... They are claiming 10 million miles of testing have been done to the new Ford F series... Read Here (http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=24770)

tthomass
02-25-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm not a "Ford guy" but I do have faith in the new engines. They're @$$ is on the line and the technology is certainly available. There is NO excuse for ANY manufacturer to produce a vehicle that can't see 100k miles (I'm being generous) without issue.

My brother has a 2003 Mazda 6S (Ford)..........57k miles and burning a quart of oil every 300 miles. Mazda's response, qoute "We will not extend a warranty and do not bother calling me because it won't change my mind"........what a b*tch she was. Meanwhile my brother, in college, had to buy a new engine for their POS product.......so like I said, not a "Ford guy".

sildoc
02-25-2007, 12:49 PM
I'm not a "Ford guy" but I do have faith in the new engines. They're @$$ is on the line and the technology is certainly available. There is NO excuse for ANY manufacturer to produce a vehicle that can't see 100k miles (I'm being generous) without issue.

My brother has a 2003 Mazda 6S (Ford)..........57k miles and burning a quart of oil every 300 miles. Mazda's response, qoute "We will not extend a warranty and do not bother calling me because it won't change my mind"........what a b*tch she was. Meanwhile my brother, in college, had to buy a new engine for their POS product.......so like I said, not a "Ford guy".

Not changing your mind but I know of an instance with every major auto manufacture haveing a big problem. It is inevitable that producing thousands and thousands of vehicles that there wouldn't be one crappy one. It is all about percentages.
I had a f-150 that I loved and blew an engine at 80000 miles and a ranger that we sold last year that had over 300000 with no work but a new battery and oil changes. Now a new dodge with 0 problems yet and a 2002 durango with 80000 on it with no issues but regular maintenance. A chevy work truck that needs a new trans at 150000 costing 3000 and truck only worth 1500. and my brother in-law who has driven the same chevy s-10 since he has had his license and is 35 now and 480000+ miles and a small oil leak been totaled 6 times due to body work more than truck is worth and he keeps patching up the dents and keeps on driving. (crazy but that truck has made him over 30000 by people running into him.) percentages. some will last forever and some will crap in 10000 miles.
They figure if a vehicle can make the first 10000 miles most issues are due to opperator maintenance or I guess lack of. Just like everything if there is a manufacture defect it will come our early. Design flaws will erupt at any time but they will know this because everyone will be bitchin.
enough on that. Ford knew it screwed up and dodge and chevy have capitolized on it. Now ford needs to man up and renew their name.

tthomass
02-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Its also about standing behind your product........they do not. My Honda I have beat the h*ll out of daily has 114k miles......my buddies had 268k and we still redlined and beat on it hard up to swapping it.

Honda isn't the answer but an example. Toyota too.......I've got my Chevy and my International and both are great. Power steering leak on the Chevy but that was a matter of a $3 bottle of fix it stuff from Advanced Auto.

A $14 PCV valve allowing blow by and destroying the engine is NOT acceptable. Would I buy a Mazda? Yes....an RX7 and then swap in a LS1+ :)

Bodies are the simple part but engines are the heart and ignorance is bliss when they go bankrupt on their own terms. No car is perfect but there is a standard and a backing of ones product that needs to be upheld.