PDA

View Full Version : Dumper trailer....makeover

tthomass
02-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Anybody painted or in other way dressed up or modified their dump trailer?

I've got a 2001 Down Easter deck over 10,000GVW trailer. Tomorrow we will be priming or stripping or something......and painting a different color. Then lettering is going to be ordered and applied. We've got work but we're slow.....makes since haha. Bank is tieing up one job, custom stone on order for another, snow/ice stopping another.............please winter, just go away and give me 70-80 degree sunny weather without humidity.

And good bye to the ugly stickers all over it from the manufacturer.

Gravel Rat
02-20-2007, 11:47 PM
If you can find somebody to blast it with peanut shells or plastic media or even if you have somebody that does water jetting take it down to white metal. Get a good etching primer sprayed on it that stuff really bites into white metal and seals it. Then find somebody to spray it with Endura paint the paint is tough its used to paint boats to trucks. It comes in any color you want even hot pink :laugh:

treeman06
02-21-2007, 12:13 AM
just fininshed repainting our dump trailer and building new sides. 14,000 gvw

tthomass
02-21-2007, 12:29 AM
What it is is I've got about 3 gallons of left over paint from my SNG system. I'm debating sand blasting the trailer or just hitting it with a good primer. Existing paint is black, faded but not chipping.

Gravel Rat
02-21-2007, 01:00 AM
If you want the best job have the trailer sandblasted then use a good primer then use the paint you have. If you plan on keeping the trailer for a few years sandblasting is the way to go. It will be more expensive but the paint on the trailer will last for years.

When a new trailer is built if the steel was wheelabbraded (bead blasted) and primered before it was built then you could sand it and reprimer it. I doubt the steel was bead blasted so it still has the millscale on the steel under the paint. If you leave the original paint on the trailer and go over top of it the new paint isn't going to last because the millscale on the steel finally pops off and takes the paint with it. Sandblasting removes most of the millscale or not all of it if you use sand. Water Jetting (super high pressure washing) will remove all the old paint down to bare metal. If your not carefull the water can cut the steel.

tthomass
02-21-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm trying to keep investment to a minimum on this "keep busy" project. I think I'll break out my pressure washer on it tomorrow and blast it good, prime and paint. The trailer is 6 years old and not chipping, just fading. The paint is a little milky looking after you wash........like it needed waxing 5 yrs ago.

Today we washed and waxed the Chevy up all nice........now its raining.

Gravel Rat
02-21-2007, 01:26 AM
There is a sandblasting attachment you can use on a presure washer but you need a minimum 3000psi washer. Some rental shops have the attachment for rent.

Make sure you use a good degreasing cleaner something that will cut the crap off. Prolly the cheapest stuff would be TSP.

tthomass
02-21-2007, 01:33 AM
All we did to the trailer today was wash with carwash soap to get hte dirt/dust off and fine the trailer haha.

My pressure washer is 3,000 psi. Sandblaster at the rental place is powered by a tow behind compressor. The only other one is a cute one you put on a hose nozzle and spray.

Gravel Rat
02-21-2007, 09:38 PM
The next step would be getting lots of rags and paint thinner and start washing down the trailer to get the rest of the residue off. The other option is use brake clean its less flammable :laugh:

tthomass
02-21-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm blasting it but have to wait until next week.........sure is clean for now though.....all decals and residue is gone.

tthomass
03-02-2007, 10:41 PM
before power washing

tthomass
03-02-2007, 10:48 PM
i'm trying to post pictures but my computer is not agreeing with me

tthomass
03-02-2007, 11:01 PM
bye bye manufacturer decals.......and warning labels, oops

tthomass
03-02-2007, 11:03 PM
then today was a lot of this.........and tomorrow

tthomass
03-02-2007, 11:09 PM
no more paint........just metal and some old primer

tthomass
03-02-2007, 11:15 PM
primered on one side.........tomorrow grind the rest of the paint off, primer it all and painted blue to match the International.

Debate: paint the inside?

Chop Stuff Up
03-02-2007, 11:36 PM
maybe line-x the inside? You could get that in blue too.

tthomass
03-02-2007, 11:37 PM
i want to but thats expensive

Chop Stuff Up
03-03-2007, 12:50 AM
yeah I wasn't thinking about the money part of it

thebobcatkid86
03-03-2007, 01:39 AM
I have to blast and paint my 5x12 tilt deck, either have it done or do it myself with one of those pressure washer attachments. But my probelm is then that I dont know who Id get to paint it. I dont know anyone who does nor do I know the first thing about painting metal myself. I aslo wanted to get it done with line-x but the guy over the phone quoted me $750 and that was on the low end. Plus besides hauling the bobcat, I carry and scoop gravel off of it with the bobcat, the guy couldnt guarantee that it would hold up to that.

tthomass
03-03-2007, 01:51 AM
That is why I'm debating touching the inside.....its only surface rust. I can grind, prime and paint but its all coming off after I use the trailer again.

Painting a trailer is nothing to it. Don't pay somebody unless you have to. You can paint over existing paint or do like I am and get a grinding wheel out...........I'm acutually using sand paper. A sand blaster would have been nice buy much more $ to use. The way I'm doing it will keep it from rusting and chipping which in turn looks better which in turn goes to image which it turns gets attention which it turn gets you jobs.

Once painted I'm going to have it logo'd and lettered. That way its a billboard when I leave it on site, drive it down the road, park at the grocery store....wherever.

tthomass
03-04-2007, 03:54 PM
primered up

tthomass
03-04-2007, 03:56 PM
nice and blue

tthomass
03-04-2007, 03:57 PM
still blue

tthomass
03-04-2007, 03:59 PM
Have some touch up to do but its too cold out to paint.....once that is done the logo will go on and lettering.

troblandscape
03-04-2007, 04:22 PM
looks good. I just finished painting the box on my box truck. I guess its that time of year... starting to get ready:weightlifter:

tthomass
03-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I wanted to finish today and touch up the bodies for the truck but its just too cold :(......so instead everythign will get dirty again, need to be washed again........

These wheels are really bad too.....think I'm going to paint them silver or gray

Gravel Rat
03-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Trailer looks good :)

All you need is to have the white spoke wheels repainted.

Rockwaterfarmslavehoe
03-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Looks great... Couldn't do it better myself. Now go scratch it all to hell. If u don't have to repaint that thing by the end of the year, either you havn't made any money or you just did a good job. We will see.

Gravel Rat
03-05-2007, 02:01 AM
The trailer sure has a short reach on it must be interesting backing it up no turning the steering wheel too much :laugh:

mulchmaster
03-05-2007, 10:00 AM
How did you go about painting that? I am guessing you used a sprayer, but I am not sure.

NEUSWEDE
03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
did you use spray paint or a spray gun? If you used a spray gun any tips? I have a bunch of stuff I need to spray and would rather not use spray paint but a spray gun since I have a compressor and figure it will give it a better finish
Thanks

tthomass
03-05-2007, 09:07 PM
I actually rolled most of it and brushed other places. I still have brushing to to do, touch ups etc. Its already got 2 coats of paint but once the temps come back up again I'm going to put on a 3rd.......then lettering.

I think I'm going to just spray the inside of the sides as they are with black spray so they don't look AS bad.

Don't worry, I already chipped a corner today! I have 2x10's that go on all three sides that double as protection and ramps. Its going to get chipped but the big flat surfaces should be fine. If they are damaged it will be due to stupidity and better be my fault.......even though I'm perfect!

tthomass
03-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Black = Rustoleum high gloss spray paint.........only took 2 cans and its on thick (forward the front wheel, I have not yet painted behind.

Hit the metal with a rust primer and you'll be set. You can do a good paint job with a spray can so long as you don't hold it 1" off the surface or get too thick too fast making runs.

tthomass
03-05-2007, 09:11 PM
The trailer sure has a short reach on it must be interesting backing it up no turning the steering wheel too much :laugh:

I actually love backing this trailer. I can whip it in right where I want it and it tracks the same as the truck, no swinging wide ('02 2500hd, ext cab long bed). I actually have a hard time backing my 7x16 enclosed then the dump trailer.....since I'm used to it.