PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild or Replace

Grass-Masters
02-20-2007, 10:41 PM
I just bought a 2001 Lazer with a Liquid Cooled 27hp Kawasaki, I got it for next to nothing and I know it will need an engine. My question is will it be cheaper to get it rebuilt or pay 1500-1800 for a new engine. If replacement is the best bet, where is the most reasonable place to buy an engine.

Right now the mower has a ticking noise, does anybody know what may fix the problem to avoid replacement.

Restrorob
02-21-2007, 07:05 AM
A ticking noise sounds like possibly the rockers out of adjustment (Valves).
You may want to check the valve adjustment and see if that takes care of the ticking.

MarcSmith
02-21-2007, 07:59 AM
I'd just rebuild the heads and leave the bottom end alone provided

I woudl do the valve adjust on all valves like rob mentioned. then Id consider doing the heads...but I would not touch the bottom end unless youa re sure that where the noise is coming form..

Marc

accurate machinery
02-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Restorob, Obviously you have the shop time invested to have seen the engine failures. 25 to 30 years ago, everything was powered by a Briggs or a Techumseh, larger machines used a Kohler or a Wisconsin, Onan was a popular generator or Gravely engine. I have been out of the pony engine wrenching business for 25 years but still get asked the question, who makes the most durable small engine? What is your opinion?

khouse
02-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Accurate,
Every one of the Robin engines have dual bearing crank supports. The sound like a sewing machine (smooth and quiet running) and seem to last for ever. They build engines from like 1.5 to 25 hp engines. They need to start building some 30 to 35 hp engines though. The Generac engines seem to be pretty close to the Robin and they do have V-twins up to 38 hp I believe. Just my opionion.

Grass-Masters
02-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys for the info, I will check the valves soon as it warms a bit. It may just be something that small, would be great.

Restrorob
02-21-2007, 10:21 PM
who makes the most durable small engine? What is your opinion?

I sent you a PM.... http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/shhh.gif

Grass-Masters
02-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Well I went out today to take a look at the machine to find the noise by the engine. This was the first time I went to look at it since it was picked up and you will not believe what I found.

I took a rubber hose to follow the noise and make sure it was coming from the top half as indicated above. And the only thing I found was a metal plate between the engine and seat (like a heat shield) that was ticking. I attached a metal screw to hold the plate in place and the noise was gone.

The guy I bought it from swore the engine was going to need to be replaced, so he gave me this 2001 Lazer Z LC 27HP 60" for a woping $2000.00. I guess now I will give it a new paint job before spring and enjoy the good deal.

Thanks for the suggestions, the problem is fixed.

:cool2: :cool2: :clapping: :clapping: :cool2: :cool2: :clapping: :clapping: :cool2: :cool2: :clapping: :clapping:

MarcSmith
02-23-2007, 06:49 AM
LUCKY SOB.....Glad you checked it out and didn't panic....

GreenN'Clean
02-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Damn send some of your good luck my way why don't you. You seem to find great deals all the time....

Grass-Masters
02-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Damn send some of your good luck my way why don't you. You seem to find great deals all the time....

I got another one for ya, I was on craigslist and there was a vague description of an exmark Metro HP. I was looking for one because I am moving to georgia, and the mowing conditions require alot of deck adjustment. Anyway, I go to look at this 2005 and the guy tells me his wife was engaged back in 2005 and when they split the ex went and bought this Metro HP to start a lawn care business to pi$$ her off. (spending her money) So he went out to cut one day, said forget this I don't want to cut grass. So the ex-girlfriend got it back because it was financed in her name.

It has sat since 2005, she does not cut her own grass. The mower looks like it was in the show room the whole time. 1 Scuff on the trim side of the deck, tits still on the tires, Deck clean as a whistle, ecs controls, started on the second pull and purred like a kitten. Picked it up for $2100 this thing is beautiful. I love picking up new machines at the price of used, especially when they do not produce the Metro HP any longer. So the new rig going to Georgia with me ran a woping $4100 for a new Metro HP and the Lazer in this thread. That is a cheap set up, considering I paid $4500 for my tiger cub used. :laugh: