PDA

View Full Version : Best pipe puller for plow?

Edgemaster
02-21-2007, 08:04 PM
We bought a bobcat mt55 and a vibratory plow attachment. It came with the standard bobcat version pipe attachment that you kinda thread the pipe onto. Plow works good but pipe has pulled loose a few times, broken a few times. Just wondering who makes the best one? Where to get it? And the price? Thanks!

Wet_Boots
02-21-2007, 08:36 PM
This is PVC pipe? Sch 40? Poly pipe? When the pipe is breaking, that doesn't point at the grip. What size 'bullet' is clearing the pathway for the pipe?

aric43085
02-21-2007, 10:45 PM
The best pipe puller is the dw 410.

Dirty Water
02-21-2007, 11:22 PM
I think he is referring to the pipe grip, not the plow itself.

We have always had fairly good luck with the chinese finger type pullers.

aric43085
02-21-2007, 11:30 PM
The DW 410 is the stromgest plow out there.

Hank Reardon
02-22-2007, 12:26 AM
The best pipe puller is the dw 410.

The DW 410 is the strongest plow out there.

...It's a 1949 Buick Roadmaster. Straight 8. Fireball 8. Only 8,985 production models. Dad lets me drive slow on the driveway. But not on Monday, definitely not on Monday.

Dirty Water
02-22-2007, 02:08 AM
Hehe, as someone who has plowed many thousands of feet in with a 410, I'll agree its an excellent plow. Perhaps the strongest pedestrian sized plow, I never had a chance to run a vermeer LM35 against it, but I'd bet they are close. It doesn't hold a candle to some of the heavy duty plows built by DW and vermeer, but nobody uses those for residential irrigation (Ever plowed in a 4" pipe?)

But lets get back to the topic. John Deere Landscapes sells the chinese finger grips.

Wet_Boots
02-22-2007, 09:05 AM
How many others out there are encountering broken PVC pipe, when pulling it? Perhaps the Bobcat MT55 has a tighter steering radius than the pulling process can withstand. I only have broken poly pipe when the total friction against the pulled pipe becomes too much for the material to withstand. Strictly dependent on soil conditions, and straightness of the run.

Edgemaster
03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
The times it has broken the pipe, it was broken right where the pipe threads onto the puller. What brand of the "chinese fingers" does everybody use? Oh and yes, the bobcat will turn pretty sharp while pulling so that might have something to do with it? But even on straight runs, it has pulled loose from the pipe a few times so I need to switch to a different attachment. I'm using sch 40 ppe and also 200.

Wet_Boots
03-02-2007, 03:07 PM
King Grips are stronger than the 'fingers type' grips. They do not let go of the pipe. They are more expensive, and worst of all, they are pipe-size specific. Different grips for each pipe OD. More than one source for them. Is the plow blade clearing enough space for the pipe being pulled?
http://www.kinginnovation.com/products/grips-king.html
http://www.blazingproducts.com/products/grips/instructions.html

Edgemaster
03-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Yeah it is clearing the path fine. I can reach down in the ground and slide the pipe back and forth pretty easy after it's been pulled. How much do those king grips and blazing grips cost?

Wet_Boots
03-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Figure a hundred-odd a pop. They wear pretty well. No dirt can enter the pipe while you're pulling, which is one benefit.