PDA

View Full Version : side toolboxes

turfscape
02-21-2007, 10:42 PM
what does everyone think of the toolboxes that go on the side of the truck. I'm debating on whether or not to get some, but they're kinda expensive and i didn't want to spend the money if they're not worth it. pics would be nice too. thanks

Raven386
02-21-2007, 10:51 PM
well what kind of work are you doing? IMO they just take up a bunch of room in the truck. im getting a toolbox for the tounge of the trailer.

turfscape
02-21-2007, 10:59 PM
i'm cutting grass and the whole lawn care deal. i like the way they look but i don't wanna spend the money on something useless. i thought about the box for the trailer but wasn't real sure about it.

D Felix
02-21-2007, 11:56 PM
A box betwen the cab and the bed is probably your more usefull option, but it sounds like this would be an add-on.

Personally, I think the sideboxes are invaluable as well. If you have room for it, get a 5' box, any shorter and shovels won't fit in it.

Think of it this way- you may not always have the trailer with the truck, but you will always have the toolbox on the truck. If it's there, you *will* use it.

tthomass
02-22-2007, 12:25 AM
what truck?

Raven386
02-22-2007, 09:11 AM
i have a toolbox between the cab and bed. and for me, it just gets in the way. its nice having everything in it. but i do a lot of dump runs so it just takes up too much room. i still fit 2 yards of dirt in there with the toolbox. IMO i think the side tool boxes are just worthless, unless your doing lights, or sprinklers, and you need someplace to store little odds and ends. then you can put some sort of organizing racks in there.

stroker51
02-22-2007, 10:07 PM
On my truck I've got the big weatherguard on the front of the bed. I almost bought a set of weatherguard aluminum side boxes for $100, but didn't pull the trigger quick enough. Did I really need them, no, but for that price, why not. Both of my flatbeds have underbody boxes, and one of them has a chest at the front of the bed for chainsaws, hedge trimmers, oil, chains, etc. I've also go a box on the tongue of my mowing trailer for oil, trimmer line, spare parts and a few tools. IMHO, you can never have too much storage space, esp. if it is keeping stuff locked up and out of the weather.

NEUSWEDE
02-22-2007, 10:27 PM
I think they are a good thing to have. I am actually welding up some supports for one tomorrow. Great to throw wheel stops, dot triangles, a chain, socket set and some other crap just incase and keep it out of the cab.

For me it will be a space saver and allow me to carry things along without crowding the cab.

Jason Rose
02-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Side boxes are great! I had one, yes one, it did look ok, on my '93 chevy. It had a short bed and there was no way I was loosing the bed space for the tool box. If you have them on both sides you actually gain height on the bed and don't loose much space at all. Not sure what you all mean by "they only will hold small things" because side boxes will hold a LOT of stuff and are actually much easier to access everything in them than a i the bed box.

Any thoughts about putting the side box ON the trailer instead of the truck?