PDA

View Full Version : Another Pressure washer comparison before purchase.....

KathysLGC
02-21-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm looking to get a pressure washer very soon. Does any one here have experience with either of these two models?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200241574_200241574

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0143073614.1172107247@@@@&BV_EngineID=cchhaddkfdmihklcgelceffdfgidgll.0&MID=9876

fly-4-fun
02-22-2007, 10:50 PM
I'd go with the Northern Tool model, it has a Cat pump on it. I've had a couple of friends that have bought pressure washers with other makes of pumps, and mine is still going strong and they have replaced their units. All I've done to mine is keep the oil changed in the pump and engine. In my opinion, Cat is a great pump....... just my .02

poolboy
02-23-2007, 05:22 AM
What are you wanting to do with the pressure washer? If it for commercial use than look for a belt drive pump, they will last much longer. Also, when cleaning most surfaces gpm is more important then the psi, which means bigger motor = more gpm.

Swampy
02-23-2007, 05:30 AM
I'd go with the northern one. It has a honda engine on it, it is cheap and reliable. But shop around you can find one with greater P.S.I. for less.

Triple L
02-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Save your money up and buy a hot water pressure washer, Works 100X better than any cold water one. And also get a belt drive one. Check out Landa and Hotsy.

KathysLGC
02-23-2007, 07:52 PM
The Dewalt has a Honda engine and Cat pump.....

I'd like to get into driveways, patios, walk ways, etc. I'd rather buy a PW that is a little over kill so i don't have to work it at max capacity. Since I'm solo right now i want to be able to get in and out fast but still do a good job.

C&K
02-26-2007, 05:37 PM
I agree that a belt-driven, high-output (4.0 gpm or more) is desirable over a shaft-driven, lower output washer. Do understand that you have to supply said gpm before you can reproduce it. It is rough on pumps to be undernourished. Most homes produce between 3 and 4 gpm. So, be selective. Bigger is not always better.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-26-2007, 05:53 PM
You can buy a small starter hot water for less the 3k,or a big skid if you are serious about cleaning buy the right machine the first time.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-26-2007, 05:56 PM
The northern machine is over priced,you can buy a 13 horse,belt driven,general pump a top pump by the way for the same price and a aluminum frame.

Mr. Vern
02-26-2007, 07:02 PM
I agree that a belt-driven, high-output (4.0 gpm or more) is desirable over a shaft-driven, lower output washer. Do understand that you have to supply said gpm before you can reproduce it. It is rough on pumps to be undernourished. Most homes produce between 3 and 4 gpm. So, be selective. Bigger is not always better.

2 questions:
1. What is the advantage of belt drive over direct coupling? Does it have to do with the drive ratios?
2. Have you ever put a flow guage on the houses in your area? I have never seen a house with that low of a flow.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-26-2007, 07:14 PM
A belt drive with run 50 less than a direct drive,as for water flow at least 7 gallon a minute out of a spicket.

KathysLGC
02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
The northern machine is over priced,you can buy a 13 horse,belt driven,general pump a top pump by the way for the same price and a aluminum frame.

From where? I don't want to spend $3K right now. I just got a new used 2005 Lazer Z and with not much snow this year I don't want to go much over 1K. I'm looking for a good starter PW as most of us did with our mowers. Later if things go good I may just jump on the hot water PW.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-26-2007, 07:39 PM
The 3 k was a small hot water machine,look up water cannon on the web.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Try this # 1-888-254-0034 ask for ford.

C&K
02-27-2007, 01:25 AM
2 questions:
1. What is the advantage of belt drive over direct coupling? Does it have to do with the drive ratios?
2. Have you ever put a flow guage on the houses in your area? I have never seen a house with that low of a flow.

The belt driven have less vibration, heat that can/will reduce the lifespan of a pump.

I should have been a little more careful with the wording....however, I have never seen a pressure washer directly mounted to a spicket. I have always had to use 50 to 200 ft of water hose. That being said, the type of pipes in a home will affect water flow. PVC that is in a lot of homes has little to no reduction. Older homes that have galvanized pipes do have flow reduction. Water hose also will reduce the flow. It never fails that water leaks at the hose connection at the spicket and at the second hose if needed and where the hose connect onto the pressure washer.

Unless you have a way to measure flow inside the pressure washer I guess we'll never know.

The point is that you can pay alot for a bigger pump that could wear out faster than a somewhat lesser size pump if you don't maintain the water flow.

Mr. Vern
02-27-2007, 02:14 AM
The belt driven have less vibration, heat that can/will reduce the lifespan of a pump.

Not to be difficult, but why does the belt drive have less vibration? It would seem to me that with additional moving parts it would have a tendency toward more vibration not less. What am I missing? I could see there being less vibration actually transmitted to the pump - if that's what you are referring to, but I fail to see the difference other than that. I know that they are generally considered to be higher end, but I really have yet to grasp what it is that makes the difference.

KathysLGC
02-27-2007, 07:29 AM
I often wonder why I see leaks when people use power washers. Is it due to cheap O rings on the hose?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-27-2007, 08:38 AM
OH LEAKS,it happens on fittings all the time its part of it,look at it like this way if your pump is on the shaft direct drive every time you pull the trigger it shakes and moves,now a belt driven is mounted away from the heat and vibration it's simple it will out last you i know the mistakes i made so good advice,i started with a small belt driven cold water,then i went with a bigger cold water,i would buy a hot water first.

KathysLGC
02-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Here is the link from the phone # you provided.
http://www.pressurewashersusa.com/
I was talking with Ford and he seems to be a nice person to deal with. The site is under construction but I might be getting the unit on the main page. They want just over 1K for it but I will have them put a 100ft hose reel onto the handle bar with a 100 foot hose for $189.00 Frieght is estimated at about $75. When all is said and done i'll be looking at about $1400. They do have a belt drive unit for $1500 but I won't be using it every day and they way I see it, if I get busy with a lot of work I may just go get a hot water unit for $3K

How hot does the water get? Is there a separate engine to heat up the water? How do they work? I guess I should of asked Ford these questions but if I ask here at least others can learn from them as well...

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Man he is a good guy,i have dealt with all of them,also he is negotiable money orders help,ford is the best for trouble shooting and building any thing like now i am geting another stainless steel machine built.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-27-2007, 11:07 AM
As for hot water it is powered by a 12 volt or a 120 amp breaker i run the 12 volt temps are 25 degrees to 200 degrees.

Total.Lawn.Care
02-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Like with our mowing equipment, do not buy your unit form Home Depot. I have seen the one that you are talking about, it is not really commercially made. It will not last like a Hotsy, Landa, Eagle Series, etc.

Here is a link to my setup:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=175249

Hot water is going to be a key factor in alot of pressure washing. Hot water cleans away the dirt a bit easier.

My unit is a direct drive. I wanted a belt drive, but even the Big names in the pressure washing industry make Direct Drive Units and claim they are just as good as the Belt Drives. I will upgrade the unit on day, but this is my started rig. There is alot of onformation about it in the thread. Ask questions if you like. I have gained a great deal of knowledge from three other guys in our area that have been in Pressure Washing for 4+ Years and about 20 years collectively.

KathysLGC
02-27-2007, 11:41 AM
So the cold water just runs through a heating element and bingo instant 200 degree water?

What do you do if some ones slate is flaking and they want to have it power washed? At times my BP blower will blow off some flakes of slate. Have either of you ever cuase damage due to PWing?

KathysLGC
02-27-2007, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE;1727314]Man he is a good guy,i have dealt with all of them,also he is negotiable money orders help.QUOTE]

Hmmm good to know. He is sending me a catolog because the site is being worked on so I will probly order this weekend. Any idea on what accessories to get if any that will be used? Nothing major but are there special tips that I need to say, clean off a wood deck compared to cleaning a patio or my lawn equipment? Any special oil for the pump or do you just buy those from a local dealer?

I'm looking to put a package together to see what Ford will do for me being that I will offer to over night him a money order or bank check.....

Total.Lawn.Care
02-27-2007, 12:01 PM
The pumps use NON-Detergent oil. I have a General pump on my unit, but will run the Cat oil because that is what my dealer carries. But it HAS to be Non-detergent. I have not seen it anywhere else except at our dealer or pressure washing supply sites.

If there is paint flaking off of a house, and they want it pressure washed, i will tell them that I will blow off the paint and have them sign a damage release stating that I will not be held liable for the paint comming off.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Looks good,you know i use the customers water i have never had one complaint over using there water any who you are setup .

Total.Lawn.Care
02-27-2007, 03:53 PM
I will use the customers water to have th tank filling while I am pressure washing. However, I also plan on doing some heavy equipment cleaning in areas where you do nto have ready access to water. This way, I will be able to carry 525 gallons with me.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Forgot i did turn 1 job down for the lack of a water tank.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-27-2007, 04:05 PM
It's hard to say what equipment you will need,i run hot water and it saves using chemicals sometimes,i use a 3/4 water hose 75 feet,with 175 feet of pw hose,i run a full service so i am always buying things i need.

KathysLGC
03-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Will any hose work? I know I keep bringing home cheapo up but I have a good year commercial grade hose from them. The dull red one. Is that good enough for PW? I just wonder if a cheap hose will constrict under the pressure. Is it better to use more PW hose then garden hose? I will probly get 100' of PW hose when I buy the unit.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
03-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I run a 5000 psi 5 gam machine any hose will work,to be honest if i had to do it from the start a hot water machine cleans so much faster,but i did run a 4000 psi 4 gal cold water machine for 3 years and did alright,what ever you buy i hope it makes you money it's very good in the off season.

Total.Lawn.Care
03-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Will any hose work? I know I keep bringing home cheapo up but I have a good year commercial grade hose from them. The dull red one. Is that good enough for PW? I just wonder if a cheap hose will constrict under the pressure. Is it better to use more PW hose then garden hose? I will probly get 100' of PW hose when I buy the unit.

The more high pressure hose you have, the less you will have to move your PW unit. If you are running a garden hose directly to the PW unit, I suggest getting the best quality garden hose you can find. The kind of hose that does not kink. If your hose kinks, you restrict the flow of water into your pump and could cause it to overheat due to lack of water.

poolboy
03-02-2007, 05:32 PM
For the cold water pressure washers, you can always install a hot box later for the hot water. Hot washer is always best. Think of it like you're cleaning dishes.

poolboy
03-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Look at ebay, I bought an Mi-T-M, 3500 psi, 3.7gpm, 13 Honda belt-drive for $800 (just had to pick it up). And it was only use a couple of times.

FCPWLLC
04-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Here is a great source for good Pressure Washers... http://www.pressuretek.com

Great customer service too.

Ask for Bob.

KathysLGC
06-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Got the 4000 PSI 4gpm pressure washer from the Co. Mow Pro recommened. Total cost was $1400-something. That was delivered to my house via frieght. The PW was $1089 but I added the hose reel, turbo nozzle, 4' extension, 1 gal soap. I'm very happy with the purchase so far.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-28-2007, 08:28 PM
GOOD DEAL,if you need any thing ask or pm i know where to buy.

KathysLGC
06-28-2007, 11:32 PM
No doubt! This thing is very powerful. I have to turn the pressure way down...