PDA

View Full Version : Hats and other "Freebies"

bicmudpuppy
02-22-2007, 06:50 AM
Ok, from the other thread, I admit I used the info and requested a free hat. If I can get a freebiee, you bet I'm on board. Might be the only time I catch the ride, but I like freebiees. Remember when all you had to do to get a free hat was wear the wrong hat into the supply house? As a kid on the golf course, I can remember the boss announcing at 6am start..........."Hey guys the Toro rep is comming today........" Out came the RB hat from the locker. Or, if he meant the equip guy, the Jake hat came out. My locker probably had 10-15 "old" hats in it, and the closet at home was full of nice shiney "Suday" hats. As things progressed (well, maybe its not progress), You had to dig to the bottom of the locker and get your oldest, ugliest Toro hat out when the Jake guy came by because he would "trade" with you instead of just giving you a new one. Anymore, it seems that "free" hats have become really expensive. Most expensive "free" hat I have seen is yellow and green :) How many of you still have those RB "free" screwdrivers? I think you had to spend almost 2k to get one of those too!

So, who still gives freebiees? I mentioned in a thread a bit ago, that King Ind still seems real good about giving away sample product at seminars and shows (bag of blazzing saddles or LV9000 wire connectors are easy to score). We used to be able to score a case of heads just by suggesting we would try something. I haven't seen that happen in a while either.

irrig8r
02-22-2007, 06:49 PM
I've gotten a lot of freebies at trade shows: screwdrivers, calendars, pens, hats (Toro, Rainbird), a valve box pump and a pop-up tool (both Rain Bird), bags of nozzles and drip emitters (Hunter, Rain Bird, Wade Rain.) T-shirts too. (Rain Bird Xerigation, Hunter, etc.)

When I first started buying Hunter products I got lots of free samples. Even a Pro-C and some valves. Aqua-Conserve gave me a nifty ET scheduler about a year ago.

I've used Hunter and Rain Bird points for T-shirts, jackets, a drafting stool, Bill Derryberry's troubleshooting book and lots of other useful goodies..

So a free hat in every case is nice, but not extraordinary.

Dirty Water
02-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Free hats?

Remember the days when Ditchwitch would just give you a plow if you didn't have their brand?

Me niether...

:)

PurpHaze
02-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey Jon... Maybe this new computer company you're working for would send hats out to all the guys on the forum??? :)

Uranus
02-22-2007, 11:03 PM
I bought 2 new mowers and got nothing. Not even a t-shirt. WTF. Spend over 15K and get nothing. Rep must be a douch bag.

Only free thing I ever got for landscaping is my free sample of Fluid Film.

But to be honest I probably wouldn't wear any of the hats that they comp. I'm a full time hat wearer and I'm pretty fussy about the hats I wear. I actually have bought the same hat 3 times in a row now. Go Callaway!

PurpHaze
02-22-2007, 11:14 PM
We get free stuff from our suppliers all the time. I have so many hats that I'll probably never wear them all.

Every time I or my partner go to Ewing they always slip me a couple of ball point pens. Their pens are the best I've used in quite some time and they know we use them and like them.

Dirty Water
02-23-2007, 12:58 AM
When I first signed up the recruiter gave me a company branded insulated travel mug, a little tiny recliner (cell phone holder chair) that is company branded, and a few other knick knacks.

They now decorate my desk :laugh:

No hats though, hats kinda clash with the suit and tie atmosphere :)

Wet_Boots
02-23-2007, 01:04 AM
No Rainbird belt buckles?

jerryrwm
02-23-2007, 01:35 AM
Used to bring home those freebie t-shirts all the time. When I got to the door I would holler to the wife, "Baby come see, Daddy brought you another nitey." She never seemed that impressed but would wear them anyway. Still have several Irritrol, Hunter, Weathermatic, and Nelson jackets.

Hank Reardon
02-23-2007, 02:03 AM
I'll sport the HD Fowler jacket on weekends but work days I wear the same uniform (shirts, jackets, and hats) I require my crew to wear. My son absconded with my Fowler fleece-lined beanie cap the second I walked in the door.

PurpHaze
02-23-2007, 09:14 AM
When I got to the door I would holler to the wife, "Baby come see, Daddy brought you another nitey."

Now that's a coincidence Jerry. Being that I take a 2XL for a shirt to fit me comfortably (and most freebies aren't larger than an XL) I do the same thing with my wife. :laugh:

laylow1994
02-23-2007, 03:10 PM
i get freebie stuff all the time from my local john deere.... this year i got a couple calendars, hats, t-shirts, pens, r.b screwdrivers, hunter screwdrivers..... all you have to do is ask...

Lugnut
03-01-2007, 11:29 PM
I've gotten JD, Toro, Jacobsen, Snap-On and Lesco hats from reps. Sounds like I've been pretty lucky and have great guys stopping by the courses I work at...and I'm not even the one making decisions to buy their product!

bicmudpuppy
03-01-2007, 11:46 PM
I don't think you youngsters understand the difference I'm talking about. Yes, there are still some "freebies" out there, but I can remember when the Jake rep showed up w/ enough hats that the guy on the weedeater got one. JD landscapes might pass out a freebie or two now and then if you "ask", but they aren't handing everyone who walks through the door a brand new hat.

jerryrwm
03-02-2007, 01:03 AM
I don't think you youngsters understand the difference I'm talking about. Yes, there are still some "freebies" out there, but I can remember when the Jake rep showed up w/ enough hats that the guy on the weedeater got one. JD landscapes might pass out a freebie or two now and then if you "ask", but they aren't handing everyone who walks through the door a brand new hat.Or the days when they would show up with breakfast or lunch for the entire crew. Or a cooler full of drinks (no beer). They even used to show up at quitting time and take the boys down for a few cold ones at the watering hole. Can't do that much anymore because of the liability. Danm I miss Dan Galbreath - former Hunter Rep. That boy knew how to rough up a company credit card!

Hank Reardon
03-02-2007, 02:06 AM
I don't think you youngsters understand the difference I'm talking about. Yes, there are still some "freebies" out there, but I can remember when the Jake rep showed up w/ enough hats that the guy on the weedeater got one. JD landscapes might pass out a freebie or two now and then if you "ask", but they aren't handing everyone who walks through the door a brand new hat.

They finally listened to the accountants and learned that free hats didn't translate to loyal customers...especially to the guy on the weedeater! :laugh:

PurpHaze
03-02-2007, 09:16 AM
We have a local turf equipment supplier (Jensen & Pilligard) that routinely gives the boss enough of their company hats for all the guys in our department.

bumper
03-03-2007, 11:13 AM
go to the CLCA show every year at the Convention Center. Used to be able without much prodding to get hats from some of the bigger name suppliers. Not so much anymore, You can buy em but pretty hard to get freebies anymore.