PDA

View Full Version : Changes in the wind and a soap opera ending to an old story

bicmudpuppy
02-22-2007, 06:14 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=130245

Ok, it was a year ago I talked about making changes and not being self-employed. It was an up and down year. That great job last spring........wasn't. We broke rule #1 before May (Bryan gets paid). I made a second switch and things have been really good since, BUT

drum roll and soap opera time........

Right after Thanksgiving, I got an e-mail from one of the jobs I didn't get last Feb. A real short.........what's up w/ Bryan these days, would you drop me a line, w/ an 800 number attached. I sat on it for almost a week and made a phone call.
The job I didn't get was an opportunity to get back into Golf Courses. A little 9 hole private club with daily use fees. I walked out of that interview feeling like I had nailed the job. Everything felt good. Interview was w/ a 6 member panel and 3 of them were voting board members, two were green committee, plus the board president. I got a nice letter about a week later saying no thanks.
Now, my phone call is to one of the board members at that interview. He proceeds to first ask me if I might still be interested, second, he tells me the wildest tail I have heard in 30 years of being in and out of the politics that compromise country club golf. Two days after that interview, they had a board meeting. The board consists of 7 voting members plus the president. One of the three from the interview (not the one who contacted me) introduced a motion to hire yours truly. The VP seconded the motion (not at interview). First item of discussion was the Board president stating that if the vote was favorable, he would resign, because he wanted a local lawn care contractor to take the place on a contract basis. The VP then abstains from voting and the susequent votes tie. All three of the members who voted for me resigned within 24 hours, and my contact resigned that night on the spot!

I re-interviewed with new board members and the same greens committee members this last January and have been quietly enjoying a job change since Feb 1.

I can't wait to get the frost out of the ground and fire up my pumping station!!

Hey Jon, atleast I didn't bail out of the community! You moonlighting yet?

Wet_Boots
02-22-2007, 08:15 AM
Boardroom skulduggery! I like it! Miniseries potential.

PurpHaze
02-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Maybe they could call it "As the Rotor Turns?" :laugh:

Broker
02-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Sounds like you have been waiting to use that one Purp :laugh:

Dirty Water
02-22-2007, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=bicmudpuppy;1720081
Hey Jon, atleast I didn't bail out of the community! You moonlighting yet?[/QUOTE]

Glad you've found a niche. I've often wanted to work for a golf course.

I'm missing the outside badly, I wouldn't mind this job so much if I could spend 40 hours a week writing code, but I spend about 20 hours a week doing paperwork, which blows.

However, they are happily satisfying rule #1, "Jon gets paid" :)

Speaking of moonlighting, I've been volunteered to install a small 3 zone system in March for my uncle, since I've been staying with him until I found an apartment. I'll be moving my family over this weekend...I've missed them.

So, I'll be back in the trenches in no time :D, I'd rather to a difficult 4" valve change right now though, instead of a 3 zone residential.

PurpHaze
02-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Sounds like you have been waiting to use that one Purp :laugh:

Actually I just thought it up on the go right after Boots posted. :)

(as he screwed up Bryan's quote)

Writes code but loses the closing bracket on the first part of the quote, eh??? :laugh:

Speaking of moonlighting, I've been volunteered to install a small 3 zone system in March for my uncle, since I've been staying with him until I found an apartment.

Boy... talk about taking a fall from irrigation grace. Now you're turning into a DIYer. :nono:

I'll be moving my family over this weekend...I've missed them.

Suuuuuuuuuuuurrreee... You just wanna "lay some pipe" on a regular basis, don't ya??? :rolleyes:

Dirty Water
02-22-2007, 11:55 PM
I posted that from Work, and I didn't have time to edit it and fix the quote :)

So, nyah :)

Wet_Boots
02-23-2007, 12:00 AM
"Didn't have time to fix it." ~ remember that the next time networks spanning several states go down for a few days. Dude should send his resume to Con Ed. :)

Dirty Water
02-23-2007, 12:03 AM
I'm not an IT guy, so if the network goes down. I get the day off :)

Wet_Boots
02-23-2007, 12:12 AM
The next time manhole covers are blowing sky-high, I'll know some nimrod forgot to close a bracket. :p

PurpHaze
02-23-2007, 08:09 AM
I posted that from Work, and I didn't have time to edit it and fix the quote :)

So, nyah :)

Someone looking over your shoulder??? :)