PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 2500hd w/ 6.0 gas

horizonmowing
02-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Chevy 2500hd w/ 6.0 gas, exteded cab 4x4. I think that is going to be my next truck. Anyone out there who has one, are you happy with it and what kind of gas milege do you get? Diesel would be nice, but the actual diesel is more then gas, and the up-front cost of the truck is alot more. But I would like that allison tranny. Thanks.

chevytrucks84
02-22-2007, 06:45 PM
i have a 2002 with the 6.0 mine isn't a 2500hd just a 2500 but i usually get about 9-10 mpg when pulling my trailer which may way on average 7-8K any other questions let me know

Patrick

B. L. Landscaping
02-22-2007, 07:15 PM
I had an 04 ext. cab and it was a nice truck but the fuel milage was not so good. Just driving I got about 12-13 and pulling the trailer I got about 6-8 depending on what I was hauling. I sold it and got the 06 d-max and it is alot better 17 mpg driving and 11-13 pulling depending on the load and the allison is alot better.

beano
02-22-2007, 07:30 PM
you can get the allison tranny with the 8.1 gasser in the 2500

J&R Landscaping
02-22-2007, 07:36 PM
The 6.0L has a lot of ball$ for a gas engine. I like it a lot more then the Ford 5.4L. If I was searching for a truck with a gas engine, It would prolly be a GM with the 6.0!

Bigred350
02-22-2007, 07:47 PM
The 6.0 is a great motor. I have one and my buddy has one. But they do like the gas.

mrusk
02-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Id go with the 8.1. You loose like 2 miles per a gallon, but its worth it when you tow.

Honestly, i'd rather have a used desiel instead of a new gasser. But i do see some smoking deals on gas work trucks.

horizonmowing
02-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Thank you for all of your comments. I was thinking about the 8.1 because i could get the allison (i plan to name any daughter i may have one day allison out of respect). So you may have changed my mind... The 8.1...A little less mpg, alot more power, and the allison trans.

LB1234
02-22-2007, 11:16 PM
We have a 2004 chevy ext cab short bed 2500HD w/8L gas & allison. 75k miles so far. Knock on wood no problems with trans and/or engine so far. We tow landscape trailers and 12k dump trailer fairly often with it. We also salt/plow with it. However, like typical american made garbage everything else goes wrong with it...
parking brake snaps, speedometer goes, instrument cluster replaced, rear door handle broke...twice, thermostat is flaky with AC need to pull over start/stop to get cold air back, and lots of other little tedious BS

We also have an '02 GMC 2500HD crew cab short box with 6L gasser and auto trans. 100k miles. Nothing but problems all over the place. Exhaust manifold replaced twice due to overheating issues, Finally found problem due to bad NGR valve or something or other, fuel gauge broke around 50k, AC went at 37k mile dealer basically said I'm screwed (After second truck purchase), and all the other little issues that go along (see above).

Just our experience. After three 'american' trucks we've had enough.

mattfromNY
02-22-2007, 11:21 PM
We just had a nice thread going on the 2500HD with the 6.0 recently. If you do a search, you can find out from that thread. I have a '04 regular cab with the 6.0. I use the wheels off it (And it shows)... I love it, except for heating up when I have my plow on the front. Lots of power, smooth, runs great, not the best mileage.. avg. about 8-9 MPG. I've pulled multiple loads of gravel weighing in excess of 10000 (5 tons) with no problems.

mattfromNY
02-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Oh, yeah..... Real common problem I'm finding out as the winter goes on... The passenger side windshield wiper will freeze, then the transmission linkage (Dealer term for the arm that runs from the motor to the wiper arm) needs replaced. Mine went in the storm we had last week. Dealer told me it was dealer only item $115.00, went and saw my friend at Advance Auto Parts, he got me one for $30.00. Since mine has broken, I've talked to 3 others with the same problem, and the village I live in actually stocks one in their highway dept. shop because they've had so many go bad on their trucks.

tthomass
02-22-2007, 11:40 PM
I've got an '02 2500HD, 4.10 rear with 6.0L.........truck will do all you ask with its balls to the wall. I regularly tow a 10k dump trailer. I did not have the option at the time, due to the deal I was getting on this truck, but an 8L would be nice and it also depends on what you are going to do with it. Groceries for the family or groceries for the football team.

Engine, solid
Tranny, solid
4x4 low......damn solid

I like my truck.

CutNLawns
02-23-2007, 11:51 AM
I have an 03 GMC 2500HD with the 6.0L and love the truck. When i bought it i was not hauling anything other than the kids so the 6.0L was fine. I wanted the Dmax or at least the 8.1L but the upfront cost didn't compute with not planning to haul anything.

Now that I am hauling a 7x14 enclosed trailer everyday with a 61" & 72" ZTR and all the gear I am still quite pleased with the performance of the 6.0L. I did however replace the complete computer with a custom tuned performance computer (no...its not a chip.... http://www.wait4meperformance.com/) and it runs like a bat outa hell now. Before mileage was about 8 towing and now I average 11. To me mileage is not a big deal but now you do not even know the trailer is back there and the performance gain is what counts. I run 33" tires and 4:10 gear I it will run with Mustangs which is pretty cool for a large crew cab 4x4 truck.

chevytrucks84
02-23-2007, 06:28 PM
CutNLawns-

What did you pay for this new computer. I would definitly be interested in the increased fuel economy.

Thanks
Patrick

tthomass
02-23-2007, 09:12 PM
they're about $150........$75 I think if you send them your ECU

horizonmowing
02-25-2007, 10:19 PM
I have an 03 GMC 2500HD with the 6.0L and love the truck. When i bought it i was not hauling anything other than the kids so the 6.0L was fine. I wanted the Dmax or at least the 8.1L but the upfront cost didn't compute with not planning to haul anything.

Now that I am hauling a 7x14 enclosed trailer everyday with a 61" & 72" ZTR and all the gear I am still quite pleased with the performance of the 6.0L. I did however replace the complete computer with a custom tuned performance computer (no...its not a chip.... http://www.wait4meperformance.com/) and it runs like a bat outa hell now. Before mileage was about 8 towing and now I average 11. To me mileage is not a big deal but now you do not even know the trailer is back there and the performance gain is what counts. I run 33" tires and 4:10 gear I it will run with Mustangs which is pretty cool for a large crew cab 4x4 truck.

If new computers make the truck get more power and gas millege, why dosnt GM put them in stock?

CutNLawns
02-25-2007, 10:51 PM
One would think they would but i'm sure there are reasons why they run a simple tune in them. Then again, why do they put a 6.0L with 75-100 more HP in a grocery getter soccer mom ride like the Denali or Escalade instead of in a truck that hauls and is actually used for work?

It has been said that the 6.0L engine is the most "de-tuned" engine out there. Plenty of power is left on the table with this engine. tthomas was correct. $150 if you buy a programmed PCM or $75 if you send them yours to tune. Takes them about 5 days to turn yours around. I ordered a new one from them and keep my stock PCM incase it ever had to go to the dealership. If a GM tech flashes your PCM the custom program is lost and you have to send it back to reprogram.

After i got the 87 octane tune and saw the performance I sent him my other PCM and had him do the all out 93 octane tune and let me tell you it woke that truck up. Didn't tow as well with the new shift points plus running 93 everyday was costly so the 87 tune is what i run every day.

zero_turn_mowers
02-27-2007, 01:43 AM
I had 2 trucks ('01 & '04) with the 6.0 that pulled great, gas mileage suck 13mpg truck alone & what ever it wanted to get pulling a trailer.

Tim

Mowingman
02-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I just recently got rid of my Dodge/Cummins 2500 and bought a new GMC 2500HD with the 6.0 gas engine and auto. trans.. I love the truck, it rides much better than the Dodge did. Only have 2000 miles on it, but, am getting 14 MPG on the highway already, not pulling anything. It have plenty of power to pull my 25' gooseneck with a load. Have not yet checked mileage with the trailer loaded. With gas cheaper than diesel, I could not justify going diesel again.