PDA

View Full Version : Field Maintanece

Trim Creations
02-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Has any one used a weed eater broom to clean around the edge of the grass to keep it from building up . On the infield of a ball field

thanks

Field General
02-24-2007, 02:13 PM
I have never used that method. I have read and seen photos in many trade publications using this method.

As info

foreplease
06-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Yes. It works very well in terms of staying caught up with current season accumulation, but isn't going to do much toward resolving a long-standing problem if the grass has grown over the lip created. Alternating use of the power broom with a water hose works nicely. The water helps loosen embedded material and reduce or alleviate stress the power broom causes the grass around the edges of the field. I mean from one week or month to the next, not one followed immediately by the other.

In my experience, it helps more with base paths than the infield radius, but that may be because side-to-side raking by kids and coaches causes more material to be deposited along them. Using it is tiring. I turn it at an angle much like plowing snow.

Mine (Stihl) had a problem after a couple of years of light-medium use that proved too expensive to repair so I replaced it. There are needle bearings in the head and mine gave out.

This is a great tool and it is easy to develop a good touch with it.

jmoore16135
06-08-2008, 02:41 PM
It does work very well. But like stated in the previous post, you need to stay on top of it, it really only works on fresh, loose dirt built up on your grass.

Blueflashturf
06-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I havent used it but It sounds like it would work... preventive maintainence is alot easier than correction... be sure not to go to slow or it will burn the grass, damage the crowns and that obviously isnt that great of a situation...high power hose works great though.... a good brooming everyday after practice and proper lip maintainence as well as a monthly or bi-monthly hose treatment, should do the trick.

jlouki01
06-14-2008, 10:37 PM
I use the Stihl Broom and it works great. Get's heavy after a while but it beats a hydro attachment on a Kromer for 2k.

Wattslandscaping
07-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Roger Bossard of the Chicago White Sox will spray the dirt back on to the field right after the last game of a home stand.

txgrassguy
08-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I always used a Jrco spring tine rake on either a 36" walk behind or a 60" rider and made two passes - up and back along the build up. The rotating blades really dispersed the clippings/debris. Used the rake on my softball club's in field a time or two instead of the drag mat - didn't work as well but did help more than it hurt.
The athletic field marked the lines with lime and accumulation was a real problem until I started raking. This was on soccer and softball/little league fields.