PDA

View Full Version : Need help bidding first commercial job

justin1431
02-23-2007, 04:01 PM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer some good pointers on bidding for a commercial job. I dont really have any details yet...just got the call.
Its a housing authority and the guy said it would prob take 3 guys 3 days to complete. I know this info is pretty vague but I just need to know what to look for and what notes to take monday when i go take the first look.
I'll bring back more details then and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Justin
Executive Landcare LLC

Matt k
02-23-2007, 06:58 PM
How often do they want it cut, how much trimming time, bagging or not, mowing time, weeding time, any shrub maintenance, payment terms, how many visits, are the homeowners responsible for picking up there crap in the yard, how often do you have to trim, is there a spot on site to dump grass, what day of the week does it need to be cut, etc................

I don't know how big of a company you are, but if you are small, be careful on this type of project. You bid it wrong and you are stuck for the contract term. Make sure everything is in writing as to what you are responsible for and especially what you are not responsible for. Get it signed and have them pay you installments monthly, not per cut. If it is low income, run away as quick as you can. There will be no respect for you from the residents and they will leave there crap everywhere, as well as tons of trash to pick up while mowing.

Been there, done that, and you could not pay me enough to do it again!

mattfromNY
02-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Ditto what Matt K. said. Know what it will cost you to mow it... Time, labor, fuel, insurance, repairs, etc., then bid accordingly. Sometimes the guy will try and tell you what it was getting done for in the past. I dont want to know that, I'm going to bid what it will pay to make me some money. I'm sick of working for free, I just finished my first year and I learned A LOT! One thing to ask- Are there any special insurance requirements? Workers comp.?, A higher liability coverage than you currently carry?, Any 'parent' companies that need to be listed as additional insured on the policy? (My insurance co. charges me $35 to list an additional insured for the extra paperwork, I pass this on to the customer)... Just some stuff to consider.
Matt

justin1431
02-25-2007, 04:49 AM
thanks for the advice guys.