PDA

View Full Version : Our New Newsletter

JimLewis
02-23-2007, 11:21 PM
Well, I discussed doing this a few weeks back. And now I've done it and here's the nearly finished product. I should have this printed and sent out within a week or two. What do you all think?

Ed Ryder
02-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Really nice. Very well done. I recognize some of the stock photos : )

Two things caught my attention. In the "creative hardscapes" section, 2nd paragraph, 2nd line from the bottom...

"but also wanted some green lawn to look."

That needs fixing.

I saw a run-on sentence in the very first paragraph. Let me take another look.

waterboy1
02-23-2007, 11:49 PM
I got to say, that is one nice news letter. You should see results with that one for sure.

Ed Ryder, that one line in that paragraph kinda sounded weird, you got a good eye for these things.

Jason

Ed Ryder
02-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Page 1, first paragraph, second line, after "sun breaks" I would put a semi-colon ; after it instead of a comma, and another semi-colon after "spring flowers" instead of a comma.

If I were to grade it, I'd give it an "A." :p

Nice job!

Ed Ryder
02-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Jim, did you compose that yourself or did you hire a graphic artist? It's very professional and refined.

procut
02-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Very nice. I like your plant profile section, its a nice touch.

JimLewis
02-24-2007, 03:23 AM
In the "creative hardscapes" section, 2nd paragraph, 2nd line from the bottom...

"but also wanted some green lawn to look."

That needs fixing.

Yah, I caught that too. You'll notice I said that it was "nearly" finished. I am having that part corrected. I'm not going to worry about the semi-colon thing though.

JimLewis
02-24-2007, 03:26 AM
Jim, did you compose that yourself or did you hire a graphic artist? It's very professional and refined.

Well, my graphic artist and I designed it together. I laid out the way I wanted the newsletter to look. I composed the text. She just took my sketches and found the right colors, graphics, borders, etc. I laid it out. I wrote it. She gave it flair.

JimLewis
02-24-2007, 03:27 AM
It's designed so that it will be sort of a magazine format. It will be printed on one large 11" x 17 Piece of paper, folded in the middle. Page 1 will be the cover. Then you open it and see pages 2 and 3. Then you close page 3 and on the back of the "magazine" will be page 4.

Oh, and here's the best part; I designed it so that it is a template. That is, each issue will be formatted roughly the same. Of course, the intro letter on the first page will always change. But even there, only the text will change. Future newsletters will look almost exactly the same on front, except for the text. Page 2 will always be a seasonal checklist, just the items on the checklist and the photos on the right will change. Page 3 will always highlight two of our main services. So the text and pictures will change there. Page 4 will always have the "Current Landscaping Trends" section. But the 3 highlighted trends will change - both photos and text. And the plant profile at the bottom of page 4 will always be in every issue as well. Obviously, the plant will change along with the text and 3 photos. But the rest of page 4, including the list of services will change.

So when I want to create a future issue, I just email my designer the new text and new photos and she changes those real quickly. And for $50 paid to my designer, I have a whole new custom newsletter.

Ed Ryder
02-24-2007, 04:14 AM
It's really nice Jim. It really reflects well on your company. I haven't seen anything like it over here.

jeffex
02-24-2007, 07:35 AM
1st class all the way Jim! I believe the news letter format to be an effective sales tool for upgrading and informing. Very nice!!

lawnworker
02-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Jim, what program are you using to design the template? It looks really great.

JimLewis
02-24-2007, 12:51 PM
My designer has the program, not me. But I am pretty sure she's using Adobe Illustrator on a Mac.

jsf343
02-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Thats A great looking letter Jim. Obviously your designer knows what shes doing too. Let us hear the feedback from people when they get them, I am curious about the response.:clapping:

Jeff