PDA

View Full Version : Used timers

Rainman7
02-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Just curious, what does everyone do with all those good used timers (out of warranty) that you take out of houses when you add zones and need to upgrade them?

I have milk crates full of them and am wondering why I bother keeping them. A couple of times a year I might give one to a customer that cant really afford a new one but other than that I dont really know what to do with them. I also have a bunch of old mechanical timers with the pins that I think I save for parts, but I have not taken parts from them since I started collecting them.

What do you do with them?

bicmudpuppy
02-24-2007, 09:08 AM
I think the answer for most of us is the same thing you do. But, I can't bring myself to throw away "good" stuff! :)

koster_irrigation
02-24-2007, 09:25 AM
put this in the irrigation classified thread

gusbuster
02-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Sell it on Ebay. Make a profit!

Most of the people that I see bid on that kind of stuff don't know the wholesale price in the first place. They always screw it for somebody and drive up a price past wholesale in the first place. As long as you mentioned "Used" and sold "as is" I see nothing wrong in making a profit off of the timer if you have that many.

laylow1994
02-24-2007, 11:22 AM
ill take anyone irrigation parts if no one wants them.... let me know....

Wet_Boots
02-24-2007, 12:41 PM
How many steel-case Batrow electromechanical controllers would you like? You pay shipping.

lehrjetmx
02-24-2007, 02:16 PM
I agree sell them on e-bay your junk someone else's gold mine!!!!:clapping:

Remote Pigtails
02-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I used to struggle with this for years. I finally convinced myself that space has value. If we can't keep it in our service vehicles it goes in the trash. They only thing I might save are the fuses. The other item I throw a lot of away are 1/2 grey risers longer than 24". I bet I toss a hundred or so a year. Another item is adjustable nozzles.I used to save Toro nozzles now I chunk those. If I need to change a Toro nozzle I just replace the whole head and use a RBrd. I know contractors that rent storage space because they can't bring themselves to toss stuff. Spend more on the space than the stuff inside of it is worth.

DanaMac
02-24-2007, 03:37 PM
Here's a good thread I started on this quite a while ago. I think I threw out all of those timers.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=80549

Wet_Boots
02-24-2007, 04:58 PM
There was some small amount of logic in saving some old timers, in order to pull working parts from them, like the motors, but in practice, it would seem like the same part would die on a particular model of controller, and there was no way to frankenstein a working one from parts.

About all I'll save now, are select electromechanical clocks, for the few long-time customers who will be confused by solid-state controllers.

By the way, Batrow clocks were the ones with the slide switches to manually operate single zones. They would foul up when their internal stepping relay would get out of sync, and cause the controller to keep a zone on 24/7
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24359&stc=1&d=1092581502