PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Claim

billsdepot
02-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I own a 2003 6' x 10' Haulmark enclosed trailer with a ramp door that was rear ended. My insurance company says that it would cost more to repair than the value of the trailer. Has anyone had a similiar experience & can help me locate the fair market value of this trailer so I don't get ripped off by my insurance company. I have gone to a haulmark distributor and they told me they could only guess at the value. There is no blue book for enclosed trailers. Thanks.

tthomass
02-24-2007, 06:26 PM
Trailer NEW value - depreciation............ask the dealer how much to repair and you should know what you want to do.

LB1234
02-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Thats why under our insurance I insure for replacement value NOT market value. IMHO it does nothing for you any other way.

This past summer I decided to take out a mailbox with the side of my enclosed trailer and gouge holes all along the side and the door. Long story short I had to replace six panels down the side. And since they are all riveted in it is/was a very time consuming job. It was tuff just finding someone to fix it. I think the total bill was something like 2400 bucks of which I had to pay my 500 deductible. This is for a haulmark 20' enclosed trailer.

That was just for replacing panels...not an entire rear door and fixing a frame. So your ins. company is probablly right.

How about suing/going after the person who rear-ended you. After all, aren't they responsible? I would think that that would be a no brainer???

billsdepot
02-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Yes, it was their fault. However, the insurance company is giving me a quote on what they think it is worth. I want to try and find out some how if that is fair market value. Does anyone know how much an enclosed trailer in good condition depreciates each year?

mattfromNY
02-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I believe there is so a blue book for enclosed trailers, pick up a Clymer motorcycle/ ATV/ snowmobile 'blue' book. We used them at a dealership I worked at, there are hundreds, if not thousands of trailers listed. Go to your nearest motorcycle dealership and see if they have one.

supercuts
02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
not sure how old yours is, but i bought my 18' pace summit enclosed trailer in 2005(its an 04), i paid 5500, new it was 6500 if that helps a bit. granted it was as new as it gets, the guy bought it, drove to FL, came back and traded it in for a bigger one.