PDA

View Full Version : Top five reasons why customers pay for maintenace

cpel2004
02-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey guys, just wondering what are the top five reasons you think customers choose a lawn service to maintain their properties. Examples would be knowledge, time, equipment cost, etc.

J Hisch
02-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Lawn service some down to two types of buyers those who have no choice and those that do have a choice, but choose to hire it done.

Top reason:

would rather spend time doing something else.

ArkansasLawns
02-24-2007, 09:28 PM
They have sooooo much money that they need to find ways to spend it.

But for real. People either can't do it themselves or they want their yard to really look nice.

Az Gardener
02-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Our clients see their landscape as an investment in their home, in their quality of life, and as a relaxing retreat that is right outside their door.

Thats a blurb from some of my literature. Quality of life I think is the biggest reason, for my clients anyway.

mattfromNY
02-24-2007, 11:32 PM
-Old people cant do it (but they're very picky, b/c they are used to spending ALL day doing it, and expect you to do the same)
-Young people dont want to do it (Its not a computer or a video game, they want nothing to do with it)

Theres two, I dont have 3 more.

Raven386
02-25-2007, 12:25 AM
To Old.
To Rich
To Spoiled
To Lazy
or they just want someone to talk to.

HOOLIE
02-25-2007, 02:11 AM
I think most of mine just don't want to deal with the maintenance aspect of it...maintenance is boring, tedious, week-in and week-out. What you do is you convert those customers into seeing the value of a nicely-maintained property.

I think overall, the divorced moms with kids are the most loyal customers...I have several and they are some of the best to work with.

LB1234
02-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Top five is hard...I have interviewed people and asked question like what is most important quality of your service provider or what they think of use...but never why they have us perform the maintenance.

But if I were to take an educated guess it would be the following in no particular order:

A. Don't want to do it
B. They have a family they want to spend time with (sporting events/getaways with family)
C. Don't have the time (demanding job)
D. Don't have the knowledge to do it
E. Don't like to do it.

Grass-Masters
02-25-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't think I have 5 but they are:

Too Old!
Too Busy!
Too Lazy!

That would about sum up my customers.

Woody82986
02-25-2007, 02:52 PM
1) They physically cannot handle the work.
2) They are too busy to have time for the work.
3) They want to have a great looking lawn to brag about.
4) They are lazy.
5) Or they could be a hybrid mix of some or all of the 4 above.

LB1234
02-25-2007, 03:54 PM
For everyone stating laziness

How about they are smart?

corey4671
02-25-2007, 04:57 PM
the comment was made that older folks think that it should take you all day to mow their yard. I actually had an older gentleman, WWII vet, tel me a few years ago when I got my first ZTR that he shouldn't have to pay me as much becasue that new mower cut my time in half to mow his yard. It seems to me that some older folks resent the fact that some jobs are not as hard as they use to be. I couldn't imagine having to mow one yard with an old type reel mower. .
I also saw the comment that some people are looking for someone to talk to. I would have to agree with that. I have several older widow ladies who it seems like they have no one else in the world and in a couple of situatuons, it seems to me like it is the highlight of their week when I show up to mow the grass becasue they have someone they get to talk to. inda makes me feel guilty for taking their money....NAH...then again it doesn't. However, I DID anonymously pay the light bill for one of them back in December.

Grass-Masters
02-25-2007, 05:33 PM
For everyone stating laziness

How about they are smart?

I don't know, money does not grow on trees, if a person has the time, healthy, capable, and are not too old. I would have say they are just lazy. I could find an hour a week to cut my grass to save $100-200 per month. I have enough bills and do not need another one. :dizzy:

Fantasy Lawns
02-25-2007, 09:22 PM
1 Their time is more valuable spent on family
2 It's nice to come home n it's done
3 They have disposable income
4 It's hot n dirty work
5 It's hot

T'S lawncare
02-25-2007, 09:52 PM
-Old people cant do it (but they're very picky, b/c they are used to spending ALL day doing it, and expect you to do the same)
-Young people dont want to do it (Its not a computer or a video game, they want nothing to do with it)

Theres two, I dont have 3 more.

hey now, not all young people

Eakern & Dog
02-25-2007, 10:44 PM
I don't know, money does not grow on trees, if a person has the time, healthy, capable, and are not too old. I would have say they are just lazy. I could find an hour a week to cut my grass to save $100-200 per month. I have enough bills and do not need another one.

I used to think this way but now feel that leisure time is often more valuable than money. Sometimes, I wish I had it in me to pay some one to cut my own grass :-) I pay people to wash and detail my car. I have time to do it myself but hate doing it and it's worth it to me to pay.

Grass-Masters
02-25-2007, 11:00 PM
I used to think this way but now feel that leisure time is often more valuable than money. Sometimes, I wish I had it in me to pay some one to cut my own grass :-) I pay people to wash and detail my car. I have time to do it myself but hate doing it and it's worth it to me to pay.

I agree, I pay to wash my car as well. But if I thought it would cost me what lawn care would cost me I would do it myself. I have a hard time comparing $20 per month to $200 per month. But I understand what you are saying.

General Landscaping
02-26-2007, 08:35 AM
It's because the weedwhacker keeps getting tangled up with the walker.

(around here anyway)

mastercare
02-26-2007, 02:55 PM
I think there's about 3 good reasons.

1. Time. This is the obvious one. in the US, something like 70% of our workforce works over 40hrs per week, and need more time to relax or spend with families. In Europe the workweek is closer to 30 hours and life has a much larger emphasis on family than on the almighty dollar.

2. It's a luxury service. Just about anyone can cut their own lawn (if they're healthy). But, I think people feel "special" when someone else does their work for them. During the winters I concentrate on my financial planning business. Its quite amusing. If you ask someone to put away $100 into their own retirement account each month, they act like you're asking them to force bankruptcy. This is their own money! They get it back with interest!! But, you tell someone that your lawn will cost about $100 a month to keep mowed, they jump at the opportunity. I think this world is really screwed up when people can't decide between needs and wants. Well, for us lawn guys, I'm glad they have that problem!

3. It makes the world go round! That's what a customer said to me once. She is a school teacher, and explained that her husband could do the work, but that's not where he wants to invest his time. I think this is true for a lot of people. You could spend an hour a week cutting your own lawn, which is soemthing you don't enjoy and don't get paid for. Or, you could work one hour more at your job (which hopefully you enjoy and get paid for) and use that money to pay the lawn guy. We all have specialties in life. Things we enjoy, things we get paid to do, and things that we're good at. If lawn mowing isn't one of them, then hire it out, and spend your time doing what you do best. Becuase, that's what makes the world go round!

WiseGrass
02-26-2007, 04:00 PM
It would be interesting to find out from some poll. Couldn't quickly find anything at the Gallup. Then all my marketing messages would reflect that.
... gotta bait the hook with something they like, and will keep liking.

cpel2004
02-26-2007, 04:22 PM
If you were to spend two hours every 10 days to maintain your property maintenance, of the course of a year that would add up to 13, 8 hour days of maintenance. A full two week vacation with your family. How much is their time really worth? It also doesnt include the cost of equipment, gas, basic equipment maintenance and getting the job done the right way, without harming their landscape.

I think many of us get trapped about how much to charge a customer, and what they will or wont pay for. I have work in many industries, and I was taught, make it tangible for a customer, build value instead of focusing on price. Many of us, including myself dont do a good job selling our services to our customers, its easier at times just saying ok and moving on with someone who will pay.

How much is their time with their family really worth?

Did you know your landscape is one of the biggest investment with your home. Would you just trust anybody to maintain your investment.

americanlawn
03-20-2007, 10:02 PM
You hit it right on. I started with ChemLawn in 1978. They said it too. >>

Lawn care seems to ignore recessions, etc.

When it's too expensive to travel, Americans tend to spend money on their homes/back yards instead of thousands of dollars for a one week spree.

TJLANDS
03-20-2007, 11:52 PM
1. Husband works... alot.
2. Husband and wife both work
3. If wife doesn't work, see reason number 1
4. Neighbor has their lawn mowed.
5. They just dint want to.

i wish you knew how funny that is......I have 73 jewish Cutomers. I work in Lakewood NJ and anyone around here knows the town is 80% Hasitic Jews. I will say they are my best customers.....They pay on time, and never complain. All the guys with nice houses I cut complain and dont pay.

This was taken off a Jewish Newspaper Web site......"Lakewood is one of the hubs of Orthodox Judaism and is home to one of the largest yeshivas in the world. The large Orthodox population wields considerable political clout in Lakewood Township, commanding a block of about 10,000 votes

I used to have many many accounts in Lakewood. Dumped them several years back. Every house has 8 kids and 4500 toys. The townhouse developments were like School yards. Yes they do complain, never can you cut on Saturday or the other 157 Jewish holidays. There was absolutely no way I would trust a crew to mow around all the kids. It just took way to much time and effort.

txgrassguy
03-21-2007, 02:53 AM
Let's face it, we are in a service industry and we are selling a service.
Time is a precious commodity, couple that with reliability and promptness and it explains why professional LCO's can survive a recession.
In the last year alone I have doubled my business to well over $500K/year with much more to come:drinkup:

americanlawn
03-22-2007, 09:56 PM
Heres my top 7 guesses:

1) Homeowners don't want to bother with it
2) They don't have the time or remember when to do what
3) They want quality results-guaranteed + keep up with the next door neighbor
4) They "try it" for a year to compare....
5) Neighbors says we do a great job (comparing)
6) The hubby burnt their lawn last year LOL
7) They "have no clue" what they are doing when it comes to lawns

The above 7 are what comes to mind right now, but I'm sure you can think of more. Thanks.

p.s. I love the humor in your posts.

americanlawn (hired by ChemLawn in 77, started in 78)