PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Kohler 15 (Oil Leak)

nick-bigfootlawn
02-24-2007, 11:48 PM
I bought a 36" Lesco, used, about 1 month ago. On the way home, it was freezing rain, which I realize was not a good thing. I didn't think about it until I got ready to start it today, and the engine started right up, but oil came shooting out of the muffler. After shutting it off, I noticed that it had been leaking oil, right under neath the oil filter. However it is not the oil filter because it is dry. If anyone could help in anyway I would be much appreciated

http://www.kohlerplus.com/main_frame.asp

It is the CV15T

Serial # 2615725074

Kohler Command Pro 15

I know something is going to need replaced, possibly the whole engine, but I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with it. Thanks.

Restrorob
02-25-2007, 08:55 AM
Check your oil for fuel contamination, It sounds like a piece of trash got under the carb. float needle valve or (bouncing down the road) and hung it open filling the crankcase with fuel.

Clean the carb. out and possibly replace the float valve, Change the fuel filter and oil then turn the fuel off when trailering the unit.

nick-bigfootlawn
02-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks, Ill try that.

Bill Kapaun
02-25-2007, 09:55 PM
IF you did get a crankcase full of gasoline, some of the diluted oil probably made it into the oil filter. You might want to change it too.

thecrankshaft
02-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Some of the CV singles have a plug there under the oil filter to drain oil so that when you remove the upside down oil filter it doesn't make as much of a mess, so it could be that, provided it is not the oil filter. Also, the pan is sealed with RTV, which can leak as well.

I agree that you should definitely check for fuel in the crankcase.

nick-bigfootlawn
02-26-2007, 12:03 AM
I am going to drop a new engine in it, the one on it was made in 96, so I figure, if it's going to last another 10 years, I might as well buy a new engine. We were taking apart the engine and some of the bolt heads snapped off, and rather than bore it out, I figured I can get a new one for $517.

DaughtryLC
02-26-2007, 12:28 AM
517 were at!!

nick-bigfootlawn
02-26-2007, 12:32 PM
http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/pages/products/kohler_vertical_engines1301.html