PDA

View Full Version : Snapper RER with HYDRO???

hotrodsnapper
02-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Hello all:

I have been sitting on my duff reading old posts on lawnsite. In a couple of threads people have mentioned a hydrostatic tranny on the snapper rear engine riders. I checked out the snapper website and it doesn't have anything other than the disk drive. Is this something they used to make, and if so is it a tricky retrofit to replace the disk drive?

I'm sure Restorb will rip me for even asking this question, but I have spent too much time getting the disk height perfectly dialed in only for it to slide down the crankshaft in the middle of a lawn. Loc-tite, whatever you want, it still moves around and I spend 30 minutes burning the heck out of myself trying to just get moving again. I saw this hydro thing and almost fell out of my chair. Let me know if I am dreaming!

lucforce
02-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Lots of snapper hydo rer's out there. But $$$ when new. No idea if they quit making them though.
I do not really understand how you have such trouble with the disc drive setup.

lucforce
02-25-2007, 12:27 AM
The standard rer went back to the original tube-type frame and apparently out went the hydro.

This thing ...13-HP RE200... has a hydrogear in it though.

hotrodsnapper
02-26-2007, 10:42 AM
I finally got it out this weekend and did some maintenance.

I actually pulled the engine off this afternoon and set the disk height to 4.25", then couldn't bolt up the engine b/c the disk was hitting the chain case! I put it at 3-7/8" and it drove perfect, the applied a little loctite to the plugs (1 at a time).

It may be fine for a month or it may not move next time I start it!

Another complaint is the muscle necessary to shift gears, especially reverse. Any suggestions for freeing up the linkage?

Does it look like the hydro trans could be retroftted to the disk drive?

lucforce
02-26-2007, 05:24 PM
I would not venture into trying to retro fit a hydro into a snapper rer. I do not like the idea of the amount of work to achieve this, nor do I like the transaxle that they used.

It should not be difficult to shift gears with the machine running, though it may be difficult to shift with the engine not running and the clutch not properly disengaged. Likely you have a combination of worn parts, un-lubricated parts, and mis-adjusted parts.

J&R Landscaping
02-27-2007, 02:35 PM
My shop has a used Snapper hydo rer for sale beleive it or not! I'm not sure how the Shifter is loosened but I'm pretty sure its not that difficult. Its a common adjustment once we uncrate them.

olyman
03-01-2007, 10:49 AM
hotrod--if the disk moves again-------set it at what the factory says--then--take a center punch---and thru one of the lock holes--punch the crank--then--take a drill---and drill in the center of the disk hole--to the crank--and drill the crank just a mite----your drilling a countersink in the crank----the allen screw will set in that countersink--and with BLUE loctite on the screw--it will keep it from moving--dont use red--takes torch to get it loose---

hotrodsnapper
03-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Restorob hooked me up with instructions on what to clean/adjust to make it work like new. I'll post up the results when I get it done!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
03-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Restrorob.