PDA

View Full Version : Diesel or Gas One-Ton?

alden
02-25-2007, 01:13 PM
I need help from some experts. I am in the process of buying a 1-ton dually, rackbody, dump for my landscaping business. I am looking at GMC's. We will use it for towing mowers/Kubota backhoe/bucket. Also delivering loam, bark mulch, trees. Plowing and sanding in winter. 10-15,000 miles per year. My question is this....gas or diesel? I've priced out both and the Diesel is about $7,000 more. If I go this route, I'd like to know that I will make out better in the long run. What do you think?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Az Gardener
02-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I think if you are traveling long distances or up hill a lot you will like the diesels. If you are driving the vehicle or someone who will take care of it it could also be beneficial.

I don't see the point in having a vehicle with an engine that will go 300-K miles when the body and interior was trashed at 100-K. If your in town, flat roads stop and go driving, with employees driving I wouldn't bother with the diesel.

Lynden-Jeff
02-25-2007, 03:16 PM
What is acceleration like with newer diesels? Is it crap? How much slower compared to a gas?

Cheers
Jeff

PORTER 05
02-25-2007, 03:43 PM
im not getting into this diesel / gas question, but if you have the money, go diesel!

mow king
02-25-2007, 04:29 PM
What is acceleration like with newer diesels? Is it crap? How much slower compared to a gas?

Cheers
Jeff

A lot faster in my experience.

Gravel Rat
02-25-2007, 05:07 PM
I hope you don't plan on carrying a big payload a regular 1 ton with a dump on it doesn't carry much to start with. If your looking at Chevy/GMC better look at a 4500 it that has some payload. You put 1/2 a yard of dirt on a 1 ton dump its "legally" loaded.

As for gas or diesel it depends on how much money you want to spend its going to cost you big money either way a 8.0 big block drinking gas back at 5mpg or a duramax.

lawnmaniac883
02-25-2007, 05:58 PM

Cheers
Jeff

I believe all of the new diesels are faster than their gasser counterparts. I would go diesel if I could afford it, you need the extra power to be pulling all of the things you say you will.

jtkplc
02-25-2007, 06:08 PM
I vote diesel, but it's not my money.

tthomass
02-25-2007, 06:14 PM
I vote bigger truck.........4500+

How about low pro trucks with your higher GVW's?

ProMo
02-25-2007, 06:18 PM

Cheers
Jeff
mustang gt's have a hard time keeping up with my truck

Canon Landscaping
02-25-2007, 07:29 PM
i have a 4500 with the gas motor and a 2500 with the duramax and the 2500 pulls much better the 4500 is great if you are driving around town but out on the highway it is a dog sucks gas it is a dump and it catches a lot of wind.

tnmtn
02-25-2007, 10:18 PM
my vote is for a diesel. and maybe a 4500 size as well. its not about getting it moving but getting it stopped.

BobcatBoy06
02-25-2007, 10:46 PM
A 3500 with a 6.0 will serve you just fine, we have both gas and diesel trucks, the diesels do a better job for heavy hauling or pulling, but I think the 6.0 is an awesome gas motor for stop and go driving, for a mowing crew or hauling mulch and topsoil around it will serve you just fine, if you are only driving 10000 miles a year that gas motor will last as long as the truck anyhow. The new 6.0 is like 345 hp I believe so it will have alot of power.

Snyderserv5060
02-26-2007, 12:46 AM
I vote diesel (Ive ran both in my company)

chuck bow
02-26-2007, 06:48 PM
I have 2 1 tons both gas 96 is a 454 vortec and it pulls nice the other is a 01 8.1( 496) with the allison tranny and there is no question the new 01 is much better power wise than the 96 .Again the gas pulls fine but iam sure a Power Smoke ,Cummalong or a Duracrap will do ok too Just kidding diesel guys iam just jealous i dont have one !!!

qualitylawnmanagement
02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
If it were me I would get a 3500 Duramax with the Allison transmission. The duramax is the best motor out IMO. I plan to buy a 2004 GMC 2500HD duramax LLY sometime in the summer, my buddy is giving me a good deal on one. And with the Allison's tow and haul feature hauling a trailer is a breeze, down shifts perfect.

Jamesgateslandscaping
02-26-2007, 09:15 PM
I went from gas to diesel last year, I am in the process of buying my third Dmax. They are a great truck and have so much to offer, pulling power, passing power, durability and fuel mileage. Such a truck, you won't regret it!!!!!
James

supercuts
02-26-2007, 09:42 PM
the nice thing about the diesel is crusing on the highway at 70 touching the peddal and your up to 80mph. they aer smooth and loads of power. great acceleration too.

Lynden-Jeff
02-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Really? Thanks for the replys, always thought diesels were slow off the line.

Cheers
Jeff

Eclipse
02-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Really? Thanks for the replys, always thought diesels were slow off the line.

This may have been common with some of the older diesels but this has not been the case for several years now.

J&R Landscaping
02-27-2007, 02:30 PM
A 3500 with a 6.0 will serve you just fine, we have both gas and diesel trucks, the diesels do a better job for heavy hauling or pulling, but I think the 6.0 is an awesome gas motor for stop and go driving, for a mowing crew or hauling mulch and topsoil around it will serve you just fine, if you are only driving 10000 miles a year that gas motor will last as long as the truck anyhow. The new 6.0 is like 345 hp I believe so it will have alot of power.

I agrree with this. The 6.0 has some great power. The 8.1 is also very nice. I like diesels and all but I'm not sold on that Duramax engine yet. If it were me, I'd be going the gas route or looking for a different truck all together!

Jamesgateslandscaping
02-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Diesels are the new hotrods...

muddstopper
02-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I vote Duramax and 4500 with the Allison. I have one (05) and it will smoke the tires empty and will pull the handle out of a maul loaded. I have never checked the fuel mileage, but my truck idles a lot when used so my numbers would be crap anyways. It does beat my 6.5 dually in the mileage tho. Heck it beats it in everything else too.

workinallthetime
02-27-2007, 09:55 PM
gas -vs- diesel
the new 6.0 sierra 1/2 ton will pull 10,500 lbs per the gm propaganda, it also has displacement on demand which means it runs of 4 cylinders when you dont need a v8 367 hp 376 ftlbs torque. No doubt the d-max will pull the guts out of any other light duty diesel out there but you are going to pay 7k for the upgrade and get 30 % min better fuel economy. what you have to ask yourself is how heavy are you going to pull? is it worth the 7k up front plus all the extra maintence required on a diesel engine? diesel isnt gettin cheeper in case you havent noticed also. i was going to go diesel this time until i put the numbers down and realized i would have to drive it to 100k just to pay for the difference.
gas 6.0 no fuel filter to change
6.6 d-max fuel filter every 15,000 $35.00 plus labor
6.o 6 qts oil
6.6 up to 12 qts
fuel additives for diesel none needed for gas
all this adds up.
worked on d-max engines from the 7.8 down to the 5.2 and a for 12 years
if you dont need the diesel go gas !!

JRS Landscaping
02-28-2007, 04:20 PM
diesel.:hammerhead:

tony58
02-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Wait till you put a diesel in the shop for repair,You will be wishing for a gas burner.
tony58

Snyderserv5060
02-28-2007, 09:37 PM
If you can do regular maintenance yourself its going to help out a lot with keeping on top of things and cutting down the costs. Diesel repairs will generally be more costly but keep it up and it should treat you well. I mean yea my diesel takes 15qts -vs- my gasser which takes 5-6qts of oil but if I am doing the oil change myself its only another $15 or so...If your going to be pulling a trailer and regurally I still feel a diesel is the better choice.
With regard to the fuel consumption... my 7.3 Powerstroke (F350) is better on diesel then my 5.2 V8 (Ram 1500) was on gas any day. This was unloaded figures, I dont think I want to know how much that gasser drank on days I was towing. I wont even begin to discuss the power differences, its like nigth and day :laugh: I sure wont be going back to a gasser

workinallthetime
03-01-2007, 12:47 AM
hey dont get me wrong, if you need the power to pull by the biggest baddest truck you can so its not sitting in the shop getting new parts on a reg. basis. as far a power and launch speeds the new d-max is as sweet as they come. i just hate to see people spendind alot of money for stuff they really might not need. if i was buying a duelly i would definatly get the diesel option and the gm due to the current situation with navstar and ford. in case you havent heard they cut off ford due to for wasnt paying their bill and is sueing them. but then again id push a chev befor i would buy a ford, or at least borrow and dodge to help get it home.
again all i was saying is that if you dont need to pull over 10,500 you might look into gas options

ksss
03-01-2007, 02:05 PM
I agree if your not pulling frequently and heavy a gas, would be a better fit for most. The 07 EPA regs will make that even more obvious I think. The price for the emissioned 07 45 and 5500 will jump about 4K I was told. Fewer units are sold and so the cost of the emission system is pasted on to the consumer. The regular pickups sell in higher volumes which negates some of the costs. I tried to find a preemissioned 07 5500 but was not able to. There is nothing like the power of the D/max engine.

GG386
03-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Another talking point you may want to consider is your resale on the diesel. Take a look at what a 1 ton gasser goes for on the used truck market vs. the same truck with a diesel powerplant (if you can find one).

I've purchased diesels for the past 5 trucks, and i've sold everyone BEFORE my new truck came into the dealership.

One more thing, there is nothing like the sound and the cackle of a diesel:weightlifter:

Eclipse
03-01-2007, 11:53 PM
Another talking point you may want to consider is your resale on the diesel. Take a look at what a 1 ton gasser goes for on the used truck market vs. the same truck with a diesel powerplant (if you can find one).

This is a very good point. Although when buying new this is offset somewhat by the higher purchase price but it is still something to think about.