PDA

View Full Version : Selecting the right pump!?

advancedlawnsolutions
02-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Hey guys help out with this one. This is my first pump from a pond job. I've done some extensive research on this and still am not sure which pump to buy. Here it is: I'm pumping from a pond 30' below the area that is going to be watered. So I'm pumping uphill. I would like to have 55-60 psi (127-138 Hd. Ft.) & at least 15 gpm. Pumps are measured in Hd. Ft. for pressure. The more pressure the less flow you have and vice versa. Plus the longest pipe run is about 300' so I need to calculate friction loss. Lets stay with the pump for now. What do you think? I was thinking centrifugal pump :dizzy:

Wet_Boots
02-25-2007, 05:09 PM
This is my first pump from a pond job. I've done some extensive research on this and still am not sure which pump to buy.Look at a Goulds J15S jet pump (http://www.goulds.com/pdf/BJS+.pdf) as one possibility. Jet pumps are more user-friendly than ordinary centrifugals, and give you higher pressure.

speedbump
02-26-2007, 09:37 AM
The Betta Flo by National Pump Co. will do 22.5 gpm with a 5 foot lift at 50 psi. The additional gallons this pump will do can be converted into a little more pressure by only using 15 gpm. This is a 1.5 hp. You can do it with a one horse pump too, but the pressure is going to be lower.

I fully agree with Wet Boots, centrifugals can be a pain in the A** and are not friendly with pressure switches either.

bob...

allinearth
03-02-2007, 07:29 AM
I prefer submersible pumps. I just call the irr supply and give them specs and they look up the right pump.

speedbump
03-02-2007, 09:31 AM
I prefer submersibles too, but you trust a salesman to tell you what pump to use?

Wet_Boots
03-02-2007, 01:00 PM
Submersibles use can run afoul of state regulations, the idea being that they don't like running submersible pump power wires into a pond. I haven't read any recent electrical code revisions, but I know that ground-fault stuff is evolving, and a powerline in the water is in that realm.

Bigred350
03-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Around here we use centrifical pumps. THey work great because if there is a zone that dont work then it wount build up alot off pressure and burst any pipes. Plus submersable pumps in my area is illegal in ponds and lakes.