PDA

View Full Version : Hedge trimmer troubles, Tanaka

Jason Rose
02-25-2007, 09:22 PM
I posted this in the Tanaka forum last night, don't know why I did, this is really a REPAIR question!

I have an older (6 or so years old) Tanaka hedge trimmer, model THT2100. Yellow sticker on the housing had a number of V065336, if that helps.

Unit is VERY tempermental. When it was newer it ran and always started fine, but in the past few years it's been giving fits. Often, if it takes more than a few pulls to get it to fire and run it will flood the cylinder and soak the spark plug with fuel. It will do this with or without the choke on. I had it in a repair shop last summer and they went thru it and had it running good but that was very short lived. within a couple uses it was back to running bad. By bad, I mean it seems like its running very lean. RPM's are extrememly HIGH at full throttle and has that "lean" sound to it. Only way to get it to run decent is to run at about 1/2 to 2/3 choke and keep off the throttle as much as possible.

Tonight I took the carb. apart and CAREFULLY cleaned it out, I replaced the main fuel line and found that the primer was broken. I removed the primer totally and plugged the elbow going into the carb. with a piece of fuel line crimped off and the same for the end going into the tank. After I reassembled it I was able to get it started right off and it ran perfect again. I ran it for several minutes with no problems, shut off and restarted a couple times. Went to start it again and now it's flooding the cylinder again... After the plug is dried it will sputter once when trying to start, but that's it. Is there some thing I need to do to get it to stop flooding the carb? Is there a repair kit for it? I also need the fuel tank breather, the one I have leaks. I'm not aware of any Tanaka dealers anywhere close to me! I kinda need this fixed soon, I use this for cutting pampas grass, and that's needing done quick!

MowerMedic77
02-26-2007, 04:59 PM
If this is a Walbro Carb WA or WT then you could rebuild it with a Walbro
Kit# K10-WAT.

Jason Rose
02-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks. I just got off the phone with a Tanaka dealer/mechanics shop about this. He priced to me the rebuild kits and replacement carbs from Tanaka... Bend over!! About $66 for a kit, and $79 to $85 for a whole carb... Dont' think so! He told me to get the numbers off the carb (it is a Walbro) and he probably has a kit in stock for around $20.