PDA

View Full Version : Meter Question

coxlandscaping
02-25-2007, 08:50 PM
We have an Irrigation job that has low water pressure the meter size is 5/8 the psi is 40 and the gpm is 6 the home owner said that they would not mind having another meter set I called the water dept. for some info of course no return call so do you all think setting a new meter just for Irrigation would help and what size meter would you suggest going to say 1" would that help

koster_irrigation
02-25-2007, 08:54 PM
1" minumum. & At the least consider a seperate tap to eliminate sewage charges.

Some cites "bull head" service taps. My city perfers to dig up the street and make a whole new tap. Since
you only have a 3/4" service & low pressure to the meter id strongly consider a new 1" tap.

Id also recommend a booster pump for the system with your low pressure situation. Theyre not much money and for what you get out of it its worth the extra $.
Look into a 1/2 horse 1 1/4" inlet 1" outlet. Sta-Rite or berkley are good brands.

Once you install backflow device, if your code requires an RP you'll be losing over 10+ psi off the get go.

DC backflows wont be as bad probably around 5-7psi. loss

coxlandscaping
02-25-2007, 09:17 PM
I hadn't thought of the booster pump but I don't have any experience using them as far as the back flow we have been using 1" Wilkins 975XL I know the people that live in this area of town has had poor water pressure most people that live there don't even think about Irrigation because of it

bicmudpuppy
02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
booster pumps can go against code in some areas too. Adding a booster usually increases your backflow requirement. In DC country, you still need an RP if you have a pump added.

coxlandscaping
02-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I know that I could go ahead and design this with a whole bunch of zones I just hate doing it that way. Is there a way of testing it right at the meter if so how most of the time we will test it at the house off an outside water spigot and then I will call the water dept. and get what they tested the meter at

Armadillolawncare
02-26-2007, 02:25 AM
We have an Irrigation job that has low water pressure the meter size is 5/8 the psi is 40 and the gpm is 6 the home owner said that they would not mind having another meter set I called the water dept. for some info of course no return call so do you all think setting a new meter just for Irrigation would help and what size meter would you suggest going to say 1" would that help

Thats one long sentence. ;)

advancedlawnsolutions
02-26-2007, 06:44 AM
A booster I believe will most likely be needed here to stay away from doubling the zones. Keep in mind: Increase flow;Loose PSI . > Decrease Flow; Gain PSI.
Most of the city water supplier's in my area are good about maintaining high PSI. In fact I have often times had to install regulators. However I've got a job now that is either going to require a booster or force me to pull from his pond. I chose the pond and I now get to study pump selection. There is a great tutorial on this site about irrigation design/boosters/pumps etc. If you don't find it, do a Google search for Irrigation Tutorial it's a great help

advancedlawnsolutions
02-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Oh yeah I deal with 5/8" meters all the time.

bicmudpuppy
02-26-2007, 07:09 AM
I know that I could go ahead and design this with a whole bunch of zones I just hate doing it that way. Is there a way of testing it right at the meter if so how most of the time we will test it at the house off an outside water spigot and then I will call the water dept. and get what they tested the meter at

If it is an outside meter, you can turn the water off and disconnect the downside of the meter and then install a 90 on the meter. Connect a flexible 1" pipe to that 90 and see what your flow is at that point. Unless there is a regulator somewhere though, your measured static pressure should not change. This is why a flo-meter or hose Y with the gauge on the other side of the Y is so helpful. You can check psi under flo. If your 40 psi remains constant, even w/ say 5gpm from the bib, then you know you have a good supply (how "good" is still up for grabs). If the pressure takes a dive when the bib is open, you now KNOW the water supply is iffy at best.