PDA

View Full Version : Weak Exmark hydro pump -- should I fix it or wait?

naturescape
02-26-2007, 10:34 AM
I had my 2002 ExM TT in the shop (Weingartz) for an overhaul. When I picked it up they said the pump on the right side was going. They said it is adjusted to be fine in forward, but the right side is slow (I'd say about half the speed) on reverse.

They suggested I wait, said it may make it another 2 years.

Should I wait or just have it fixed now? How much is it, about, to replace one pump?

GSPHUNTER
02-26-2007, 11:25 AM
When I was talking to a Toro sales guy, he said the hydro pumps on a 36" WB run $500-$600 a piece.

Richard Martin
02-26-2007, 11:46 AM
FIX IT NOW!

If you have a problem in your hydro system it is always best to fix it immediately regardless of cost. Oftentimes when a component does finally give out it does so in a dramatic fashion releasing lots of small particles into the rest of the hydro system. This usually trashes everything else including the rest of the pumps and motors. The cost goes up significantly at that point.

naturescape
02-26-2007, 12:56 PM
FIX IT NOW!

If you have a problem in your hydro system it is always best to fix it immediately regardless of cost. Oftentimes when a component does finally give out it does so in a dramatic fashion releasing lots of small particles into the rest of the hydro system. This usually trashes everything else including the rest of the pumps and motors. The cost goes up significantly at that point.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, when I asked them that at Weingartz, they said it wouldn't be a problem and just would get weaker. I have heard once you have a problem, it should be fixed like you say.

I'll take it in in a few days............

Richard Martin
02-26-2007, 01:48 PM
when I asked them that at Weingartz, they said it wouldn't be a problem and just would get weaker.

Tell them that you'll wait if they'll warranty the rest of the system in the event of a failure of that pump. See what they have to say about that.

naturescape
02-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Tell them that you'll wait if they'll warranty the rest of the system in the event of a failure of that pump. See what they have to say about that.

Dang, that's a GOOD ONE! But I don't want to get into that quagmire with them. I'll just take it in............ I want the machine in perfect condition anyway........ I really can't see it making it for 2 more years with a bad pump......... I wonder if they WANT the machine to go? It would probably mean buying a new one or replacing LOTS of parts!

naturescape
02-26-2007, 01:53 PM

You know what? I am gonna call them and ask them that......... anxious to see what they say! But then, either way, I'm bringing the machine in.

naturescape
02-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Well I called them. Of course the machine won't be under warranty, it's a 2002, and they won't guarantee other parts won't go out.

But he promised me there cannot be, on this Exmark, any cross-contamination between the 2 sides if something catastrophic were to happen to the pump.

All the same, I think I'm going to get the pump replaced. That way I should have even power, and speed, both in forward and reverse.

MowerMedic77
02-26-2007, 03:42 PM
But he promised me there cannot be, on this Exmark, any cross-contamination between the 2 sides if something catastrophic were to happen to the pump.

He is right, but if the pump fails on the right hand side it can send contamination to the wheel motor on that same side then you could also need a $400+ Wheel motor along with your pump.

Swampy
02-26-2007, 03:49 PM
better to do it now cause you don't want to end up looking like a sun burnt baboon doing donuts in your costumers lawn.

richard1103
02-26-2007, 04:01 PM
slow on one side make sure somebody has not got it out of ajustment if you have another xmark like it check left side see if both are same if you buy pump get it from j -thomas they might have a viper replacement pump for 200 each flush system with mineral sprits

naturescape
02-26-2007, 09:04 PM
He is right, but if the pump fails on the right hand side it can send contamination to the wheel motor on that same side then you could also need a $400+ Wheel motor along with your pump.

He told me that was possible but still unlikely. But I say, best to get it fixed.

naturescape
02-26-2007, 09:06 PM
better to do it now cause you don't want to end up looking like a sun burnt baboon doing donuts in your costumers lawn.

LOL ................. :)

naturescape
03-05-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm still debating whether to have this pump replaced or wait till next spring if it makes it that long............. Weingartz said that the pump is just GETTING WORN, that it is not actually broken or anything like that........ So would you guys replace it now or wait. Waiting is what Weingartz recommends.