PDA

View Full Version : Racks on trailer with no sides

chevytrucks84
02-26-2007, 07:08 PM
I have a 18 foot flatbed trailer with no metal framework on the sides. I have 2x12's around it but was wondering if there is any trimmer rack systems that work well for this set up or if anyone else has ran into this situation. I have search the topic for at least an hour and never saw any pics or any products made for this.

I am getting into lawn care this year (have just mainly been doing landscaping) and need a place to put trimmers and such. I found this link and was wondering if they would work on the fenders? put one on each side
http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/junglejimstrimmerrack-p-15160.html

I have attached the pic of the trailer but this was before i built the sides for it. Basically they are go around the whole thing except for the dove tail. I dont want to attatch anything to the sides themselves anyway.

Thanks
Patrick

ffemt1271
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
try some trimmer traps

Lugnut
02-26-2007, 10:16 PM
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work

Laner
03-15-2007, 12:29 AM
I just bought a similar trailer this weekend and plan to put 2X10's on the sides from another trailer. I have the heavy duty fold up ramps on the back, but need to adapt the ramps to allow a mower to drive on them. Could you get me some pics of the ramp on your trailer? I am looking for ideas to build the ramp so that I can still drive a skid loader on the fold up ramps if needed.

Lynden-Jeff
03-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Hey,

You should be able to bolt right to the wood, just make sure its atleast 2" in. Take a look at the new greentouch racks, they look pretty awsome. A sponsor here sells them for a pretty good price.

Cheers

chevytrucks84
03-15-2007, 09:48 AM
I just bought a similar trailer this weekend and plan to put 2X10's on the sides from another trailer. I have the heavy duty fold up ramps on the back, but need to adapt the ramps to allow a mower to drive on them. Could you get me some pics of the ramp on your trailer? I am looking for ideas to build the ramp so that I can still drive a skid loader on the fold up ramps if needed.

Laner-

I ran into the same exact problem within the last week. I just added a 14" extension out of 1 1/2" square tubing and the expanded metal. Basically it is a rectangle out of the tubing with supports in the same place the existing ramps have them and the expanded metal welded to it. It folds down to the back so i can leave it folded if i want to put something heavy on there and it is also removable. I will get pictures for you when i can but it is getting painted by a buddy right now and then i am leaving on a cruise tommorow and wont be back till next weekend. But ill send you the pics when i get back.

Thanks - any questions let me know today as this will be the last day i will have internet access for over a week

Patrick

chevytrucks84
03-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Laner-
After reading your post again i think that if i am reading it right you have ramps and not a landscape gate like i have. Here is a picture of my ramp that came on the trailer but it was too steep to get my exmark up it so i had to add the extension to it like a said in the previous post. The gate that came on my trailer is made out of 2" square tubing and i have driven a 6500# mini excavator up it w/ no problem. Here is the pic of the gate if you have any questions let me know.

Hope this helps
Patrick

Laner
03-15-2007, 03:50 PM
chevytrucks84-
You are correct, I only have the ramps, not the landscape ramp like on your trailer. I would greatly appreciate some pics of your new ramp, as I know we will have troublegetting on the trailer with our Toro Z with DFS bagger attached. I like the idea of an additional fold in the ramp to keep it low enough, but want to make sure the ramp doesn't get too heavy also. When you get back would be fine. Hope you have a great time on the cruise.

stroker51
03-17-2007, 03:47 PM
I had my trailer built last year as a flatbed, and built wood 2x10 sides for it like you've got. I had a set of Buyer's Products trimmer racks off of my old trailer, and I just bolted then right up against one of the stakes for my sides, with 3 carriage bolts into the sideboards of the trailer. They are pretty stout, and the Buyer's racks don't chew up trimmer handles nearly as bad as the trimmer trap ones do. I'll try to post some pics if I can get the camera working right.

Laner
04-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Drawing up some plans now to build removable expanded metal sides with 4' right side ramp and split double fold rear ramp. Due to time, had a couple local fab shops quote the package and they were much higher than I expected, so I will be looking at building it myself. I have the equipment and knowledge to build it, just didn't think I would have the time. But for $2K I think I can make the time.

chevytrucks84- did you get your trailer done? Would still like to see your ramp setup. I think it is similar to what I had in mind.

chevytrucks84
04-03-2007, 09:41 AM
yes its done but i apoligize i have been extrememly busy since i have been back and haven't had a chance to get any pics. I will try to take some on Friday and post ASAP. Sorry for the delay

Patrick

Laner
04-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks. I understand the lack of time right now. I look forward to seeing your trailer. Thanks again.