PDA

View Full Version : Hino

Mowing Freak
02-27-2007, 10:37 AM
I am thinking about getting rid of my ford f350 and getting a Hino for dependability and fuel milage. Don't want to get into a "my brand is better than your brand" debate. What my question is, from your experience, will the Hino tow a trailer fine. My setup includes having a trailer and for now, I don't want a dedicated landscape truck. Also, if you know, what kind of fuel milage do the Hino's get. I looked at other forums, all they had was dependability was great and so was fuel milage. Nothing about towing a trailer.

mow king
02-27-2007, 12:25 PM
How heavy of a trailer??

tthomass
02-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Which Hino?

Mowing Freak
02-27-2007, 06:55 PM
sorry, I should have thought about that. The trailer itself weighs 5000lbs, loaded looking around 8000lbs. The truck is either the 145 or 165.

mow king
02-27-2007, 07:12 PM
You shouldn't have any problems power wise for the most part.

If the truck has a big load and the trailer weighs 8k pounds..it won't be a fast ride..especially on hills.

Mowing Freak
02-27-2007, 08:17 PM
The most it will have is grass, brush, yard waste of any kind in the back, occasionally a load of rock but that is all.

Cut n Edge Lawncare
02-27-2007, 08:44 PM
have you priced parts for hino's. Go price brake drums and shoes just for starters. then make your decision ;)

Mowing Freak
02-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Parts are a good idea and I realize that but, I have had my f350 in the shop 7 or 8 times now, all under warranty, now I'm worried about what will happen to it when the warranty runs out the end of this year. Yes, parts scare me a little, but so does my ford. My Ford is an '04 with the 6.0 diesel. I have already sunk $500 in brakes for it and only 56000miles on it. Wow! What's next??

justanotherlawnguy
02-27-2007, 11:43 PM
There are not many guys that run Hinos around here, but there are a ton of guys who use NPR's with dump beds on them and pull 16 or 20 foot enclosed trailers. I was looking at a NPR the other day, one that had a 14 foot dump and was informed that it would tow 15000. I think the GCWR is around 21K. So I am sure a comparable Hino would handle the same types of load

Mowing Freak
02-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Looked at a gmc which is an izuzu and also the hino today. Liked the Hino better as more room in the cab but will get the gmc if they will work with me as cab is smaller, seems to turn tighter, little more power, lower to the ground, and about $10,000 cheaper. Gmc is 6speed manual and the hino is auto. Gmc had a 14 or 16 foot box bed on back so sort of simulated the drag my trailer will create. Hit 75mph and had a little pedal left maybe could have hit 80 but cops were out thick so didn't try. I personally think the gmc would hit 80 or 85 with flatbed on and no trailer. Hino had a flatbed on it and finally hit 75 going down slight hill. All these are things I liked, wont list the cons of both as that will take too long. Hino had smoother ride but for being a cab over, gmc had an impressive ride too and was easier than I thought it would be to get in it as I am 6'3" and way too many pounds! Overall, I liked the Hino better, but the wise decision for me anyway will be the gmc. Both vehicles were an '06.