PDA

View Full Version : troubleshooting my problem

mongo119
02-27-2007, 03:24 PM
Wondering if you might help me narrow down or tell me what my problem might be here. If I may also need to order a starter or something else. I tried to turn the switch and ezr 1540 would not turn over or crank, so I turned the flywhell atop the mower, under the screen..and mower now turns over and cranks and runs but there is a rubbing and scrubbing type sound when mower is running..the blades also engage . There is'nt an airens shop around and interested in finding out problem myself.
Thanks,
John Pitts
Silver Creek, Ga
If you can enlighten me on any trouble shooting tips on this or what I may need to replace I appreciate the help-

Mechanic Mark
02-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Sounds like the starter drive to me. Check that first and go from there.

mongo119
02-27-2007, 04:28 PM
would that be within the starter? the teeth where it engages or what exactly is the drive? I am learning, thanks for you input.
-John

Mechanic Mark
02-27-2007, 05:04 PM
The drive gear assembly sits right on the top end of the starter. there will be a plastic gear/helix assembly and a spring on top. looks similar to a bendix starter drive on a vehicle.

hotrodsnapper
02-27-2007, 05:21 PM
I'll agree with Mark. I am not familiar with this engine but have had similar problems with briggs engines.

Look at the top of the starter. There is usualy a little plastic cover there that you can remove with a couple of screws. Once you have this cover off, you should be able to see the starter gear. The way this works s that when the starter turns the little gear should go up and engage the toothed flywheel, then slide back down when the starter stops. Usually a spring pushes the started gear down and out of the way when ou let off the start button. I think you will see when you look is that the starter gear is still meshed with the flywheel. Just work the gear back down (toward the starter motor) until the you can turn the flywheel without turning the starter.

If this is causing your problem, you can buy a kit specific to your engine that replaces the spring, bendix (sp), and gear. It usually has all the instructions you need included.

Oh yeah WELCOME TO LAWNSITE :drinkup:

FIXDISS
02-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Wondering if you might help me narrow down or tell me what my problem might be here. If I may also need to order a starter or something else. I tried to turn the switch and ezr 1540 would not turn over or crank, so I turned the flywhell atop the mower, under the screen..and mower now turns over and cranks and runs but there is a rubbing and scrubbing type sound when mower is running..the blades also engage . There is'nt an airens shop around and interested in finding out problem myself.
Thanks,
John Pitts
Silver Creek, Ga
If you can enlighten me on any trouble shooting tips on this or what I may need to replace I appreciate the help-
Are you saying the blades engage when you start it ? Does that unit have an electric clutch or manual blade lever ? Did you possibly bend the screen and it is rubbing the shroud ?

Restrorob
02-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Hmmm.....Did I miss something here ? I didn't http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/eyepop.gif any mention of what brand engine is on this Ariens unit. Assuming without proper info. on a unit could be confusing to a non mechanical inclined person.

The use of a long shank screw driver with the handle pressed against your ear and the tip touched against various places on the engine while running will give you a idea as to what area to look for the rubbing noise.

I would check the grass screen as FIXDISS stated.

mongo119
02-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks guys..
Really glad that I stumbled onto this site.
Just got in, but im checking those areas first thing tomm.
no, the blades do not engage when I start it, I ment to imply that they engaged fine whenever I pull the knob. It is an electric clutch.
The motor is a Kohler 15 hp CV15S

*AIRENS
EZR 1540
Kohler comand 15 hsp model #cv15s
FAMILY- SKH426U1GZRB
MODEL- CV15S
SPEC- 41531
DISPLAY (cc)- 426

Also, thanks for the tip using the long screwdriver.

What might the grass screen be? If its located on top of the flywhell, I popped that circular guard off to turn the flywheel when it(the mower) would not start initionally. After moving it a little.. it has cranked since without a problem. The circular cover screen is still off and the noise appears to be comming from somewhere else. Never sounded like that before. The noise sounds like scrubing or rubbing inside somwhere. Im going to pinpoint it tomm., take off the sides where the controll sticks are located so that I can better see if it is'nt starter related.

-one other question, I need to replace the throttle cable(it's broken). I have it set in wide open. Is there anything I should be certain to do when installing my ordered one.? Or just hook it up?

Thanks again-
John Pitts

Bill Kapaun
02-28-2007, 01:53 AM
You might want to download the manual-

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2339_d.pdf

mongo119
02-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the insight.

It appears I might have found my problem.
At some time, my battery protector brace and strap broke itself loose... causing the battery to shift out of place and wedge against and atop a black looking bushing type nodule with a bolt running thru it....
- which happens to run thru 2 belt wheels and the clutch underneath this area.
I did'nt recogize this yesterday as it was getting darker and everything is closed up and squeezed togather under the seat area. The bolt was cankered with corrision on top of where the black bushing thing is located. I brushed all the corrision off and saw that the bolt and washer spins and looks like a bearing in there also. I touched the spot with the screwdriverr and that's where all my racket is comming from. I can actually push hard against and downward (the top area) and the vibration and racket decreases a good bit. I have never taken a clutch off before, but it appears I can handle it. Do you think that I might just need to replace that top bearing or anything else? And where could I try to get what I need. Everything still opperates fine with clutch and the blades engage fine. It just makes a hell of a racket.
I can actually hear the scrubbing noise slow to a stop exactly as the silver bolt head slows to a complete stop. That top black spacer type bushing that the bolt runs thru-- had deterioated on a small area on its side I guess from the battery acid that oosed out. The part that Im desrcribing looks like its made of something simular to a brakepad or a hockey puck, and its about the size of a skoal can.
Would anyone be familuar with what Im attempting to explain here and let me know what I can and should do. I work too hard for my money just to give it away and if it's anything I can replace I would like to try.
Really sorry in my explaination and description of this stuff but I am not that familuar with the termanology but always been interested in learning.

John Pitts

Restrorob
02-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Do you see the part that's making the noise in the below picture ? If so give a reference number for that part.

mongo119
03-01-2007, 02:19 AM
http://partsradar53.arinet.com/Scripts/ImgServ.exe/convent?ilFN=D%3A%5CCatalog%20Data%

Add to pick list Housing, Transmission Spindle 1 each
2 05421500
Add to pick list Bearing, Ball .984 x 2.04 x .59 1 each
3 01531300
Add to pick list Jackshaft (008,010,304) 1 each
Add to pick list Jackshaft 1540/1648 (009,305) 1 each
4 06443500
Add to pick list Washer-Flat-Steel .436 x 1.375 x .250 1 each
5 05964500
Add to pick list Bolt, Hex .44-20 x 1.00 Grade 5 1 each
6 05947000
Add to pick list Bolt-Hex .31-18 x .75 Grade 5 1 each
7 06308600
Add to pick list Washer-Lock .313 x .078 1 each
8 00506800
Add to pick list Spacer, 1.25 OD x 1.0 ID x 1.26 1 each
9 06602200
Add to pick list Key-Square .25 x 1.00 x .25 1 each
10 07323600
Add to pick list Sheave, Jackshaft 1 each
11 01531400
Add to pick list Spacer (008,010,304) 1 each
Add to pick list Spacer (009,305) 1 each
12 03601800
Add to pick list Electric Clutch/Brake (008,304,) 1 each
Add to pick list Clutch/Brake, Electric (009,305) 1 each
Add to pick list Clutch/Brake, Electric (010) 1 each
13 06443600
Add to pick list Washer-Flat-Steel .469 x 2.000 x .250 1 each
14 06310700
Add to pick list Washer-Lock .438 x .133 1 each
15 05964600
Add to pick list Bolt-Hex .44-20 x 2.50 (008,010,304) 1 each
Add to pick list Bolt-Hex .44-20 x 1.50 (009,305) 1 each
16 06909400
Add to pick list J-Clamp 1 each

This diagram displays my mower as far as top of clutch where it's bolted to frame. I can see
#' 5 bolt and # 4 washer spinning in middle of #2 bearing and #1 Housing spindle-after cranking mower. All of these parts were cankered and covered with corosion. After brushing it all off, I could see where the battery had been wedged against housing spindle, and where part of the edge of housing spindle deterioated. My question is- Would all the corrosion possibly have caused #2 bearing to screw itself up and what else might I need to do with this. I've never done anything to a clutch but it seems like the bolts on each end may dismantle it. Anyone familuar with this area,? Im hoping that I can resolve this but concerned if all the vibration, rubbing and scrubbing sound is in fact a possibiltity from bearings or anything along these series of parts. or something even more to investigate. With all the built up corosion and eaten away area on #1 sleave from possibly acid on the spinndle., would you stear me to be aware of something I've over-looked? -or should I investgate somthing else possibly resulted by this? Im flying blind here but I do catch on quickly.

Thanks for any insight-
John

mongo119
03-01-2007, 03:22 AM
Thought I had the diagram up.
Here it is attachment

Restrorob
03-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Well, You didn't answer my question in post #11 and YOUR pic. didn't come up....So.....I really don't know what to say http://www.gtr-game.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/dunno.gif

FIXDISS
03-01-2007, 07:36 PM
From what I can decipher from the description it sounds like one or more of the idlers pulleys on the drive belt has froze up and the entire bolt is spinning which would indeed cause major racket. Is this what you are experiencing ? If so , replacing the idler pulley is no big thing. If the bearing in the actual pto clutch is your culprit then judging from your comments you should definitely have a pro look at it.

Restrorob
03-01-2007, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=FIXDISS;1731414]From what I can decipher from the description it sounds like one or more of the idlers pulleys on the drive belt has froze up and the entire bolt is spinning which would indeed cause major racket.QUOTE]

That's what I was trying to find out for sure FIXDISS, As you see the PTO clutch is not under the battery.

mongo119
03-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks for trying to deshiper what I am saying (Restrorob, Fixdiss, Bill Kapaun, Mechanic Mark, and Hotrod snapper)
I tried at or about 1:30 this morning to leave a diagram to explain but the url had several % and ? marks and did'nt take. The attachment was still in progress after a while and decided I must get some sleep for the long day.
I cleared a spot in the woods for us 13 yrs ago. Surrounded by pupwood land and wildlife, and the only drawback I've encountered since is my dailup connection. I'm targeting to get the dish on the roof to speed the computer up for the kids this summer.
The battery had tilted over from the usual spot and rested sideways against the housing that leads to clutch underneath, restrorob. From that diagram you left it would be closer to the top left #6 and #12 as it looks somewhat simular.
Here's the link, if any of you have the time -

http://www.ariens.com/parts_radar/

click to enter
type in ezr 1540
click ezr 1540, 15hp Kohler, 40" Deck
then Clutch Shaft - Hydro

Im going out onto the garage and check the idler pullys and look at it again. Thanks so much

Restrorob
03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
OK, Looks like what you need to do is remove this assembly and check the bearings and shaft for wear since the screws were ran loose. Just looking at the break-down it doesn't look that difficult, Maybe like replacing blade spindle bearings.

Here's the pic. for others....