PDA

View Full Version : My Rig (Such as it is)

thebobcatkid86
02-27-2007, 02:56 PM
Just a few pics of me and my machine. My mom's (yes I'm admiting it) 2002 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V-6 stick shift, my 2001 Bobcat 453 F-Series and my restoration project trailer. I built the lights and cheater boards for the trailer, I also replaced the hitch (photos coming) and am I planning on having it sandblasted and repainted CAT yellow.

RedMax Man
02-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Wow that trailer fit's your Bobcat just right i guess.
Does the tailgate fold up?
What kind of work do you do with that machine?

ASBK
02-27-2007, 04:13 PM
That is a neat little machine! How much dose one of those cost? Is it new or used? How wide is it? How much dose it weigh? How do you secure it when its in the trailer?

thebobcatkid86
02-27-2007, 04:18 PM
No that piece is fixed. I was thinking about making it fold, but I couldnt quite engineer how to make a hinge mechanism that would be sturdy enough to handle the loader. As for what I do, the answer is just about anything it can... shovel gravel, tear out driveways, remove old sod, dig and grade for patios, backfill waterproofing dig outs... and that was just a couple of months of last year. The only things that bug me are the facts that I cant load a full size dump truck (although with an ejector bucket I probably could) but F-350 to F550s are ok as are most dump trailers, and the footprint is so tiny that with the arms all the way up it feels really top heavy (that maybe true of all skid steers though, I dont know).

Lynden-Jeff
02-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Here are the specs:

Length with Standard Bucket: 100.5 in (2553 mm)
Width (with bucket): 36 in (914 mm)
Height: 71.4 in (1814 mm)
Height to Bucket Hinge Pin: 94.5 in (2399 mm)

Operating Weight: 2708 lbs (1228 kg)

So the weight would JUST fit a 3500lb axle trailer. I have my eye out for one of these too.

Cheers
Jeff

thebobcatkid86
02-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Actually its closer to 2500 lbs. If you look at the historical specs its not as high HP either. Mine is 15.7 HP and the new 463 is 22.4 or something like that. The book says it'll lift 700lbs but Ive moved boulders Im sure weighed more than that. New pricing I believe is around $15.5k depending on options, but I happened upon this one for $7250 with less than 700 hours when I bought it.

DodgeTruckMan731
02-27-2007, 04:52 PM
That looks really good, hows that dakota handle it?

thebobcatkid86
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
As for tying it down... I use 3/8 GR70 chains and ratchet binders. Its overkill for 2500 lbs I know. I actually used to use 3" nylon binder straps but after a few months they started to fray so I went all out.

Lynden-Jeff
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Actually its closer to 2500 lbs. If you look at the historical specs its not as high HP either. Mine is 15.7 HP and the new 463 is 22.4 or something like that. The book says it'll lift 700lbs but Ive moved boulders Im sure weighed more than that. New pricing I believe is around $15.5k depending on options, but I happened upon this one for $7250 with less than 700 hours when I bought it.

ah didn't know they were that much differen't.

Cheers
Jeff

thebobcatkid86
02-27-2007, 05:03 PM
That looks really good, hows that dakota handle it?
It handles sweetly. You know it's there but it doesnt feel straining on the truck. Its a V-6 so its a little sluggish on hills and I cant use overdrive on the freeway as much as without it but it doenst really feel taxing or anything.

GreenN'Clean
02-27-2007, 05:24 PM
The bobcat looks sweet

thebobcatkid86
02-27-2007, 05:51 PM
GreenN'Clean - Thanks

So the weight would JUST fit a 3500lb axle trailer. I have my eye out for one of these too.

Where are you from? I could give you the number of the guy I got it from. Hes a real nice guy. He resells used equipment on Ebay as a side job and ships all over the country.

Lynden-Jeff
02-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Hey,

Ontario Canada, pretty far from you lol.

Cheers
Jeff

mow king
02-27-2007, 07:07 PM
GreenN'Clean - Thanks

Where are you from? I could give you the number of the guy I got it from. Hes a real nice guy. He resells used equipment on Ebay as a side job and ships all over the country.

Is his name Warren by any chance?

thebobcatkid86
02-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Is his name Warren by any chance?

As a matter of fact, Warren Nyerges yes. And yes he was very easy to deal with. You know him then?

mow king
02-27-2007, 09:43 PM
As a matter of fact, Warren Nyerges yes. And yes he was very easy to deal with. You know him then?

Yes, I do, I'm actually about 20 minutes east of cleveland and do the same thing Warren does.

I've been friends with Warren for a few years now...good guy...knows his stuff and he won't touch junk even when he knows hes going to flip it.

Lawn Enforcer
02-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Nice Bobcat, I've always wanted a small one like that. Do you do snow removal with it also? If so, how well does it plow?

markam70
02-28-2007, 09:31 PM
for anyone who might be interested in a bobcat such as this...there is one for sale in my area. i am about an hr and a half southwest of the dc area.

this is all the info i have on it.... bobcat 453, 3' wide, in good condition, diesel, and new cutting edge on bucket. $7500/best offer.

pm me for the phone number

J&R Landscaping
03-01-2007, 10:58 AM
What is the lifting capacity of that machine?

Lynden-Jeff
03-01-2007, 03:26 PM
About 750 lbs (approx) im sure the thread starter will reply with exact. I just got a call back on a used 553. I would love to get my hands on a bobcat.

Cheers
Jeff

zim bob the landscaper
03-01-2007, 08:11 PM
that bobcat looks sweet. can u put a heated cab on it?

thebobcatkid86
03-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Do you do snow removal with it also? If so, how well does it plow?
For snow removal it is a very good little machine. I do not plow full time (yet) but we had 18in. here on Valentines day and I dug out myself and a couple of neighbors. It handled it very easily, the cycle times were just a little slow from it being a high of 12 degrees the entire week before. I know that there is a 48" snowplow and even a 44" snowblower available for it. I just dont have the capital at the moment for either of those since I dont do enough snow to justify it as of yet. My dream macine for doing driveways would be an A300 with 12.5 mph top travel, a heated cab and a 84" power v-blade.

What is the lifting capacity of that machine?
It'll lift quite a bit for a machine its size. The book says 700lbs but I have moved boulders (scoop and place, no lifting) that I know have weighed over 1000lbs.

can u put a heated cab on it?
I have heard it can be done but that it is a complicated pain in the ass to do it as a field install. And of couse the dealer can do it but be prepared to pay. But from talking to a couple of people (mainly Warren), unless you [U]need[U] it, like for a hammer its not worth bothering, mainly because its too expensive. I am simply planning to put a piece of lexan over the grate in the roof and maybe have an OEM escape hatch window put on the rear. Those would be just to keep light rain out.

I might have gone with a 553 if I could have found one. It seems that they're even harder to find than the 400 series. I would really like to get a couple of attacments, eventually maybe a 4-in-1 bucket, a grapple fork, a trencher and theres a couple other things on my wishlist, but I cant find anyone whose got any used attachments for this size machine. I am in the market for used primarily because new attachments are big bucks, and I dont know how much Im going to be using any of them, so I dont want to invest alot of capital (new trencher $4k, new 4-in1 $2250) for somethig Im not going to use alot. And I do realise that the rental market around here has attachments this size for relatively cheap (auger $50, trencher $80, breaker and harley rake $150) per day. However, Ive noticed at least to me it seems like some customers tend to get uneasy or shy away from projects when I tell them I'll be renting an attachment. Like Im inadiquate or dont know what Im doing. Has anyone else ever had that happen?

DoetschOutdoor
03-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Why even tell them your going to have to be renting somthing? Just rent it, get the job done, and charge accordingly.

thebobcatkid86
03-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, the two instances that I specifically recall were: A contractor that was thinking of hiring me for some sub work asked what attachments I owned for it, and one homeowner that wanted a super-specific breakdown of costs on the esimate.

zim bob the landscaper
03-03-2007, 11:47 AM
thank you, i want to use it for driveways cuz i have big driveways and next year ill be the only one doing them so i want a big machine to do it cuz im lazy. if i use a lawn tractor ill probably get stuck. so i need something with power and a bucket. or ill just get a snowblower...but a bobcat will be so much more fun. lol

thebobcatkid86
03-03-2007, 06:42 PM
I'll tell you that a 453/463 series or even a 553 with a snowblower or blade attachment would do driveways in a hurry and they're still small enough to do sidewalks too. If thats mainly what you plan to use it for then I would suggest an enclosed cab and then depending on how much snow you typically get in an average snowfall one or both of the attachments I mentioned along with the bucket. New pricing I know the snow blade which is actually a general purpose dozer blade that can be used for dirt as well is approx. $1400, while the snowblower new is around $3500 I believe. I dont know what your budget is or how much snow your dealing with on average but I have been a fan of Bobcat equipment since I was 5 and know enough about statistics to probably be in sales for them.