PDA

View Full Version : Exmark - Hydro fluid ever use anything else than 15w-50?

Jason Pallas
02-27-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm having trouble finding 15w-50 Mobil 1 Synthetic to use in the hydro system in my Exmark Hydros (Lazer and HP). My local auto parts store doesn't carry it anymore and the one other place that I know of that did carry it - was charging about $9/quart.
Does anyone have a good alternative for the Exmark Hydro systems? I know that Exmark reccommends Mobil 1, 15w 50 but.....

Any input is greatly valued. I know that you guys know your sh#t here and I really value your opinions.

Restrorob
02-27-2007, 06:15 PM
I would say you could use 20/50 with no problems if thats available, That's what other OEM's state to use.

Jason Pallas
02-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks Rob, just to clarify, would that be ....20W50 Synthetic?

Thanks again.

Restrorob
02-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes, If you prefer running synthetic. Regular oil does a good job in a hydro system due to no combustion by-products.

Roger
02-27-2007, 09:00 PM
I also found that places that formerly carried it no longer do so. I did find ample supply at my local NAPA store, about two months ago.

cranesrule
02-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Wal Mart carries it in the qt and 5qt jug.

Jason Pallas
02-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys - appreciate the help.

MowerMedic77
02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Not to thread jack but just a little FYI, in a resent conversation I had with a rep/tech from Hydro Gear I asked the question about the regular oil verses the synthetic in the hydro systems and He informed me that the recommendation is from Hydro Gear per working with the manufacture and their specific requirements, so pump location, mower weight and test operating temps etc.etc. all combined tell them which oil is better for each application.

Jason Pallas
02-28-2007, 09:31 PM
This brings me to another question: Does anyone know why none of the manufacturers reccommend using actual hydro fluid? Those of us who plow snow know that there is some pretty good (and expensive!) hydro fluid out there. You can actually get aircraft grade blue/hydro fluid and it's really $$$. Just curious as to why they don't reccommend hydro fluid. Anyone know?

battags
03-03-2007, 11:04 AM
This brings me to another question: Does anyone know why none of the manufacturers reccommend using actual hydro fluid? Those of us who plow snow know that there is some pretty good (and expensive!) hydro fluid out there. You can actually get aircraft grade blue/hydro fluid and it's really $$$. Just curious as to why they don't reccommend hydro fluid. Anyone know?

I've often wondered the same thing. My two Bobcats recommend 5w30 and I have heard others say that they just use actual hydraulic fluid. I have no idea why one is needed over the other or what the possible negative, or positive, outcomes may be.

Brian

Jason Pallas
03-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Just to update you all. I had the chance today to have a very lengthy and good conversation with an Exmark rep today at a local open house. On this subject he said that Exmark has actually begun to reccommend another hydro fluid (other than Mobil 1 synthetic). He couldn't recall the name though. He said that Mobil 15-50w is still fine to use but the reason that they no longer endorse it for use is that the quality of the Mobil 1 synthetic has slipped since they first started producing it.
According to him, any good 50 weight SYNTHETIC oil is good to use. Exmark is also now reccommending the use of an additive (similiar to Amisol's) friction reducers in the hydro systems.
When asked why Exmark uses synthetic oil rather than hydro oil - the rep explained that the oil has a much higher operating temp. These pumps operate at between 120-180 degrees - sometimes as high as 220. Oil operates fine until about 400-450 degrees. Thus the reccomendations for Syn oil instead of hydro fluid (which has alot lower operation temp).
Another interesting note - he said that by 2009 all riders will be using an integrated drive unit. They are designing it right now. It combines the hydro pumps and the wheel motors all into one unit. I pointed out that it was a crappy idea - in that when the unit fails, it will mean replacing a $3500 integrated drive instead of a $400 wheel motor or pump. He agreed - but what has happened is that one of the pump suppliers has decided to try to capture the entire market (for pumps AND wheel motors) by consolidating the two into one big unit. GREAT - so we have that to look forward to. Why fix it if it ain't broke?!?!?!
Hope that sheds a little light on this topic - thought it was some interesting info that I'd pass on.

battags
03-15-2007, 11:33 PM
When asked why Exmark uses synthetic oil rather than hydro oil - the rep explained that the oil has a much higher operating temp. These pumps operate at between 120-180 degrees - sometimes as high as 220. Oil operates fine until about 400-450 degrees. Thus the reccomendations for Syn oil instead of hydro fluid (which has alot lower operation temp).

That's interesting. I wonder exactly what the effective operating temp of Hydro flid actually is. I can't imagine that 120 to 180 is that far out of range. I'm just thinking of all the heavy machinery that utilize hydrulic fluid and operate at temps above 120 degrees.

Brian

Sharpcut 1
03-20-2007, 05:14 PM
You HAVE to use synthetic fluid in an Exmark, per my conversation with a Hydrogear engineer, because their reservoir is so small. Mineral based oils will fry your pump. White engineers say that the Dixie Choppers and Hustlers are the 2 coolest operating hydro systems in the market. This is from the guy that ran the testing, talked to him at Expo in Kentucy this year.

Unfortunately, you are correct Jason. They are testing intergrated pump/wheel motors as we speek, not just Exmark. That and the new 2008 polution laws, and up go mower prices again!!!

Have used Amsoil 15W40 in Exmarks since 1998 with no adverse effects. Had an Amsoil comparison where the 15W40 Amsoil met or beat the 15W50 Mobil one in temp. and additives.

Hydrogear also said our rate of hydo units failing is nothing compared to southern states with their temperatures!!!!!!

balreadysaid
10-17-2009, 12:43 PM
i was looking for some dixon blue hydro oil anyone know wher to get that cheap? or does any one have sugestions to what hydro fluid they have had good luck with. it says here that 15w40 amsoil is good