PDA

View Full Version : Electric Brakes Necessary?

nick-bigfootlawn
02-27-2007, 07:48 PM
Do I need electric brakes for a single axle trailer?

WALKER LANDSCAPE
02-27-2007, 08:01 PM
NO:nono: iT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR HAULING ON IT.

gmcplowtruck
02-27-2007, 08:07 PM
what are you haling it with is a nother factor i towed a 12 foot trailer for 6 years with a full size half ton chevy and had no problems
i just bought a new 16 ft trailer this year and ordered the surge brakes instead of electric makes more sense to me since i tow with a couple of vehicles
also check with your states laws

Lynden-Jeff
02-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Little OT but whats the difference between surge and eletric brakes?

Cheers
Jeff

BSDeality
02-27-2007, 09:34 PM
what are you haling it with is a nother factor i towed a 12 foot trailer for 6 years with a full size half ton chevy and had no problems
i just bought a new 16 ft trailer this year and ordered the surge brakes instead of electric makes more sense to me since i tow with a couple of vehicles
also check with your states lawsPersonally, after equipping my trailer with electric brakes I will never own a trailer w/o brakes again.

I tow a Single Axle 12' trailer with an F350 PSD, and I still have brakes on it. It's a lot cheaper to replace the brakes on the trailer than it is to replace them on the truck. It also makes a big difference in braking performance when you've got 3500# behind you.

Re: differences. Electric brakes are powered from the vehicle and use a magnet to do activate the brakes, surge brakes have a special designed coupler that engages hydraulic brakes based on how hard the trailer is pushing on the tow-ball.

I prefer electric, so I can have brakes while in reverse.

gmcplowtruck
02-28-2007, 04:49 PM
my trailer with surge brakes is equiped with a reverse lock out mechanism which means when im reversing the brakes are disengaged not all surge brakes have that but the one i order does fo the reason i do alot of reversing and was told horror stories about them
like i said before i got surge brakes because i tow with several vehicles to equip every vehicle with electric brake controlers i would have a fortune into it

BSDeality
03-01-2007, 05:26 PM
my trailer with surge brakes is equiped with a reverse lock out mechanism which means when im reversing the brakes are disengaged not all surge brakes have that but the one i order does fo the reason i do alot of reversing and was told horror stories about them
like i said before i got surge brakes because i tow with several vehicles to equip every vehicle with electric brake controlers i would have a fortune into ityou can outfit all the trucks with harnesses and then just move the controller to each truck. I'd recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy.

gmcplowtruck
03-01-2007, 06:25 PM
but my parents would not want to mount the controllers in there vehicles to get the surge brakes with reverse lockout it cost me $375

chuck bow
03-01-2007, 06:49 PM
In Indiana you need electric brakes for single axles and if iam not mistaken any trailer built after 2005 has to have brakes on each axle at least in Indiana they do . Also if you use the trailer for a business ie lawncare and running it as such if you tip the scales RATING at over 10000 pounds you need DOT numbers ( not actual weight or what you are hauling but if truck and trailer combo is RATED at such ) If you dont comply you might meet a friendly DOT guy or gal And likely a Judge to pay your fine, Had a guy i know who didnt have his DOT numbers and got stopped by DOT guys end result 1 ticket and 11 warnings ........ and his truck and trailer looked very nice and safe too