PDA

View Full Version : break controler

rfed32
02-27-2007, 08:26 PM
i would like to put a break controler in my truck i was wonderin what i would need to do this???help

corey4671
02-27-2007, 08:36 PM
is it the "new" body style 99 or the "old" body style 99?

rfed32
02-27-2007, 09:29 PM
old body...why does that make a diff?

corey4671
02-27-2007, 10:59 PM
the new body styles came from the factory with a pigtail that just plugs right in to the wiring harness for a brake controler.

C&K
02-28-2007, 04:45 AM
i would like to put a break controler in my truck i was wonderin what i would need to do this???help

I installed one onto my 2000 model 2500 a few days ago.(old body style)
You will have to hook into constant power(from battery is recommended) with a fuse. You will hook into the brake switch wire(located up the pedal shaft you will find a switch) that turns to +12v when the brake is pressed. and a ground. All of this goes to your brake assist box in the cab. Then you run a single wire from the brake box to the back of the truck and it hooks into your brake wire on your trailer.(through a wire in your harness that the trailer plugs into)

Seems hard but is easy to do, but it does take some time.
Look for this too.
I followed my factory wiring in the back from where the plug(flat 4 pin) that you T-off of to plug the trailer wiring harness into the factory wiring to the frame and pulled the tape and loom off and found two factory installed unused wires that run up to the front. They come up at the firewall under the brake booster. then drill a small hole into the cab through the firewall and install a grommet to keep the metal from cutting into the wire over time. If you can locate this wire it will save you from running a new one and securing it under the length of the truck. One wire was a small white wire and the other was a larger orange wire on my truck and it turned back to the front inside the tape and loom. just keep removing the loom untill you can pull the end out and connect it to your trailer wiring. Use the larger wire as its the same size as the output wire on the brake assist box.
oh yea, the white wire can be used in place of finding the brake wire at the pedal switch...just check it to verify that it turns to 12V when you press the brake. The brake switch is up there pretty good and hard to get to. I found the brake wire to the left of the brake pedal in with some other wires...it was White.So I didn't use the one under the truck.

GM uses same wire colors on most all makes and models

I hope this helps you some.

vntgrcr
02-28-2007, 06:14 AM
And to start with it is "brake"! Unless you are trying to control "breaking" something else.

rfed32
02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
hey vntgrcr thats i dont realize what i type when i type it i just type lol...

c&k thanks 4 the help i hope to instal this weekend