PDA

View Full Version : Pointed or Rounded Nose Enclosed Trailers

Tim Wright
02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
I am about to buy an enclosed trailer. Most likely a 8x24 or a 7x24. I am looking at the United, and Hurcules trailers.

I will be traveling both short and semi long distances with this and pulling it with a 1ton dully duramax.

Now I know that this is a rather elementary question, but I want to ask it anyway, and get your response if I may.

How much of an aerodynamic difference and mileage difference?

If you have bought an enclosed trailer, which did you buy and would you buy the same trailer again if you had to do it again?

Thanks,

Tim

Eclipse
02-27-2007, 10:08 PM
First of all I would definitely buy 8' wide over 7'.

As far as the V front vs. a flat front. I don't think there is a significant MPG advantage with a diesel engine. Maybe with a gas engine there is but since I have not owned a gasser in years I cannot comment about that.

The V-Nose trailers do tow down the highway nicer.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-27-2007, 10:27 PM
The only problem with a v nose is weight and price but you have enough truck so go with it.

Eclipse
02-27-2007, 10:39 PM
When I purchased my new trailer last spring and I was looking at several different styles and brands of trailers I didn't notice a V-Nose weighing substantially more than a comparable standard front.

Prestige-Lawncare
02-28-2007, 12:09 AM
I have been looking at new trailers over the winter, and really only looked at a couple of V-nose trailers. One was a little cheaper line then what I was wanting, and the others all had a 52" ramp door on the street side of the V. It also had a couple of small doors on the street side where you could pass a fuel hose through at the gas station. I believe these trailers were really for 4 wheelers and/or snow mobiles ... but would work well for mowers too. The ones they had on the lot though were pretty big ... something like 24' and 28' ... and the price was pretty hefty too.

I just ordered a 8'x18', ramp door, LED lights, chrome wrapped rear (part of LED light package), chrome corners on the front, seamless aluminum roofing, Torflex axles, Stoneguard, etc. This trailer is made by Atlas Specialty Trailers in Elkhart, Indiana. It also has 3/8 plywood on the walls, which I really like better then the luan walls some manufactures use.

My dealer actually said they like this trailer better then the Hallmarks that are not being manufactured. They say the Hallmarks now-a-days are not the same as those of a few years ago. As we all can imagine, just like the mower business, trailers have become a big business for manufacturers.

I'll post pictures when it gets here ... in about 4 weeks.

Az Gardener
02-28-2007, 12:20 AM
Prestige, I think you will find that is a perfect size. I have a 16 and thought it was huge but it has quickly filled up. How much $$ was yours? I bought an Interstate and have regretted it almost every day after about the first three months. Cheap cheap cheap :hammerhead: my bad.

Sorry I cannot comment on V-nose trailers not too many around here.

justanotherlawnguy
02-28-2007, 12:35 AM
I have a v nose and when I got it the owner of the place I got it from mentioned that if I did any long hauling on the interstate that there would be a noticeable difference over the standard front end.

Most of my driving is around town, so I cannot comment on the mpg difference. but I will comment on how nice it is to have the extra room up front. I have a 16 footer and I can fit a wb and 2 z's end to end with no problem (that is nearly 18 feet of mowers) Or since it is 8.5 wide, I can fit the 48 and 36 side by side in the front and put the 60 in the back and have plenty of room between them.

The price diff was only $300 more for the v-nose, and its worth every cent.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
02-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Tongue weight on the truck.

Prestige-Lawncare
02-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Prestige, I think you will find that is a perfect size. I have a 16 and thought it was huge but it has quickly filled up. How much $$ was yours? I bought an Interstate and have regretted it almost every day after about the first three months. Cheap cheap cheap :hammerhead: my bad.

Sorry I cannot comment on V-nose trailers not too many around here.

The swinging door trailer they had on the lot was $4695., and that also included the LCD light package, and the chrome front corners. The one I am getting has a ramp door, which I believe adds around $300. to the price ... and the only other think I changed was that I added the good side vents (not the cheap round plastic ones) ... and am taking out the roof vent. If I do decide I need the roof vent, I can always add one later, but I am thinking the two side vents should be plenty.

Some of the selling points for me on this trailer was the one seamless aluminum roof, dust barrier / sealed walls, Torflex axles and the 3/8 plywood walls. The chrome wrapped rear with LED lights is a nice touch too!

Az Gardener
02-28-2007, 06:11 PM
That sounds like a great deal, I paid 5600 for my crappy 16"

A feature I wish I could find is like the ceiling/roof of the UPS trucks. That cloudy fiberglass or whatever it is that lets the light in but diffuses it. I really don't like the inside of the trailer being so dark.

Prestige-Lawncare
02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
That sounds like a great deal, I paid 5600 for my crappy 16"

A feature I wish I could find is like the ceiling/roof of the UPS trucks. That cloudy fiberglass or whatever it is that lets the light in but diffuses it. I really don't like the inside of the trailer being so dark.

I saw one of those a few weeks ago ... but I believe the price was pretty high.

GG386
03-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Hey Az,

You mentioned you don't like your interstate, assuming you meant interstate-1. What was the issue(s) with it. funny you brought it up, as I almost bought an I-1 today, but opted for a 18' CargoMate w/5,200# axles.

To the topic of v-nose vs. round top, I went with the round top. I never could figure out what to do with that little diamond area inside the trailer. Seems like wasted space to me, imho. How much fuel can you possible save when it's just being towed around in short runs or in town?

Focal Point Landscapes
03-01-2007, 11:29 PM
I have a v-nose - definitely less wind resistance , but probably not significant fuel savings . But you can build a neat shelving system in the nose -never enough space for all the little stuff that you need to have in the trailer.You can also store shovels , rakes , etc in the nose . The tongue length is somewhat shorter , but I don't have issue with that .To each his own but I prefer the v-nose.