PDA

View Full Version : Hour meters

vipermanz
07-16-2001, 04:57 AM
Are there any requirements for putting these things on an engine?

Jman
07-16-2001, 09:58 AM
The easiest one to install is called a tiny tach. Wrap one wire around the spark plug wire three times and hook the other wire to a metal ground. Two sheet metal screws or self adhesive tape to hold the tach/hour meter and your done. The only thing you need to know is what type of ignition system you have. Does it fire every revolution or every other. Most all lawn mower engines on equipment now fires every revolution.

sdwally
07-16-2001, 10:00 AM
If you unit has a key switch and a battery, then they are real simple to add. Just make sure that you connect to a power lead from the switch that is dead when the switch is in the off position. If your switch has an accessory term, then that is the best place to connect to. Napa is a good source for hour meters.

Richard Martin
07-16-2001, 04:37 PM
Hey SD, I just thought about this and it sure does seem like a waste of a good spark to have it fire on the intake/exhaust stroke of 4 stroke engines. But since they don't time the spark from the cam that's the way it has to be I guess.

Jman
07-16-2001, 06:31 PM
The tiny tachs have their own battery and don't need to be wired
through the switch.

vipermanz
07-17-2001, 04:35 AM
this would be on a two-cycle,
where can i find any of the above models?

Jman
07-17-2001, 10:02 AM
Most lawn and garden shops and supplier of parts carry the tiny tachs. If you can't find anybody that carries the Tiny Tach brand have your local Kohler dealer order you part # 24 449 02-S. This is made by tiny tach and will work for any engine which fires every rev. (like 2 cycle and all Kohler command and magnum engines).

SMB
07-17-2001, 10:35 AM
Also, a regular hour meter can run on anything with an alternator, even if it doesn't have a battery, AKA, a recoil start WB w/electric clutch.
We just bought one from www.northerntool.com for $31.