PDA

View Full Version : Kawi 12.5HP Valve Job

CT18fireman
02-28-2007, 08:34 AM
Can anyone give me the steps for doing the valves on a Kawi mounted on a walkbehind? I know it can be done on the mower without major disassembly but I have forgotten the exact steps.

khouse
02-28-2007, 09:19 AM
I would really recommend a service manual, Neway seat cutter, new valves and gaskets.

Restrorob
02-28-2007, 05:59 PM
As khouse mentioned ^^^^.......

Click on the link in post #2 in this thread; http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=137587&highlight=FB460

MowerMedic77
02-28-2007, 09:09 PM
I know it can be done on the mower without major disassembly but I have forgotten the exact steps.

This part of your question is throwing me off, Do you want to perform a valve job or a valve adjustment? I guess I need more clarification:confused:

CT18fireman
03-11-2007, 02:25 PM
It may just need an adjustment or may have bigger problems. Here is what I have. After removing the head I can see that the intake valve closes down tight on the compression stroke I cannot turn or move it. The exhaust valve appears to close then it actually opens just a bit on the compression stroke before closing just before TDC. However I can still spin the valve in the "closed" position so I don't think it is fully seating.

Looking at the valves they look pretty good.

My initial problem was hard cold starts. Once the motor started it ran great, quiet and made good power.

I have done lots of motor work in years prior but mostly automobile and a few Briggs. I got the cover off to look at the springs. I will have to pick up a new compressor (any recommendations). So any help would be great.

Restrorob
03-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Click on the link I posted above and down-load the manual. Follow the steps for valve adjustment. When you see the exhaust valve open a little then close at TDC thats the compression release operating and normal.