PDA

View Full Version : I put gas in my diesel truck today. What is your horror story?

spray_man
02-28-2007, 08:46 PM
I guess I was a little distracted. I never thought I would do this. I caught myself after only a tenth of a gal. of gas. Luckily (I thought) the tank was below empty. My immediate thought was to drain the tank. Unfortunately there was about 4 gal of diesel still in the tank. The only problem was that my big adjustable wrench was nowhere to be found in my tool box. I finally loosened up the nut with a vise grip and a pipe for leverage. The drain nut was on real tight.

The worst part was feeling like an idiot, while working on the problem. I never felt so small (and I barely clear 5' 7"), and my truck never looked so sad.

tthomass
02-28-2007, 09:05 PM
1/10 gal........you're prob adding 30+ gallons of diesel to that. I would have just filled her up in that case and not worry about it.

A gallon vs a 1/10 though.......I wouldn't advise that.

spray_man
02-28-2007, 09:29 PM
I am not 100% sure, but I think even a smaller quantity would have blown the engine. Remember. The gas stays together, and at the bottom of the tank. All you need is one small squirt in one cylinder. But, I could be wrong.

TXNSLighting
02-28-2007, 10:30 PM
it wont blow it up, but u shouldve got it out of there.

mrusk
02-28-2007, 10:40 PM
I like the stations with the diesel pumps accross the lot from the gas pumps!

gammon landscaping
02-28-2007, 11:04 PM
i hear alot of guys that put a gallon of gas in the tank in the winter.... i can't rememer the logic. but i think i would have just filled it up with diesel and went on. i wouldn't do it on purpous though

J&R Landscaping
03-01-2007, 12:00 PM
I don't think gasoline will cause a diesel to blow up. It will smoke like crazy and it can damage the injection pump but other then that, I don't think it will do any engine damage.

hosejockey2002
03-01-2007, 12:54 PM
I can't say you did wrong, because it's better to be safe than sorry with a $6000 engine, but 0.1 gallons of gas in 30 gallons of diesel would have not hurt a thing. The gas will mix in with the diesel, and even if it didn't mix, gas is lighter than diesel and would not stay in the bottom of the tank.

Metro Lawn
03-01-2007, 01:04 PM
I add a small amount of gas to my diesels in the winter. It acts as an anti-gelling agent. I put 1 gallon per 50 gallons of diesel and have never had a problem in over 20 years.

ED'S LAWNCARE
03-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Here is a little hind sight on the subject. A friend of mine drives a gas tanker on a single tank there are 4 "compartments" holding different types of gas, unleaded, premium, diesel, kero etc. Although they like to keep the diesiel for just diesel the company has had to fill the whole truck up with just gas and there is no way you are going to get all the gals out of the tank there is always some left behind a few gals mixed with 1000 gals in the tanker is not unusual.

Here is a little more for those who are brand loyal the gas that goes into Joes cheap fill is the same that goes into Exxon, Chevron, Citgo etc... it all comes from the same distribution center. The price difference is one of 2 things greed on the gas station owner or the deal he has made with the distributor.

Now getting back to the post a 1/4 gallon of gas to 30 gallons of diesel should not harm the truck but it would still give me an uneasy feeling.

ksss
03-01-2007, 01:56 PM
The newer diesel engines with common rail injection systems are very sensitive. They run very high pressures and need lubrication. I would never put gas in these newer trucks. I would not be as worried in the older engines, but not the newer ones. Why would anyone purposely put gas in their diesel to lean it out anyway? Do they not sell Power Service or the equivilent. The diesel we buy is blended at the pump as I am sure it is everywhere. I have been working near Big Sky all winter and running in temps of 39 below zero (mean temp not wind chill) and never gelled. The Amsoil diesel antigel is great stuff.

stroker51
03-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Better to be safe than sorry, but I'm pretty sure that amount of gas won't hurt the truck. Last spring I hauled a truck for my cousin with my 96 P-stroke. He put $20 in what he thought was diesel. Truck ran like $hit that night, and I couldn't figure it out. I took my edge programmer off and the truck wouldn't hardly run. I finally thought that maybe he used the green handle. Around here at BP stations, green is gas:hammerhead: . Sure enough he did. I drove prolly 30 miles on mostly gas, not that I recommend it, but the truck had about 170K then, crowding 200K now, factory injectors still. I wouldn't worry about just a little bit of gas in there, but I wouldn't put it in on purpose.

Total.Lawn.Care
03-01-2007, 03:09 PM
That little bit would not have hurt, nor would you even have noticed the difference.

When I drove delivery trucks for Coca-Cola, we used to put about 5 gallons of gas to about 45 gallons of diesel when we filled the tanks the nights before longs runs. The combustable composition of the gas woudl allow the diesel engines to run a little faster. In the years that I workes there, we never had one tear up due to this. It kept the injectors clean as well.

I would not do it to my powerstroke, but I woul dnot have worried about that small amount in 30+ gallons.

Edgewater
03-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Exactly what METRO said. I have seen it on highway tractor in very cold temps. You open the tank and the fuel has small crystals. Pour 2 cups of gas in a 50 gal diesel tank and it goes right back to normal.

or you could just use fuel conditioner:laugh:

greenscapes,inc.
03-02-2007, 12:22 AM
My girlfriend filled my diesel full of gas and drove it 35 miles through a canyon. It ran like crap but it still going strong today. I thought it was ruined.

draftlawncare
03-02-2007, 05:57 AM
i did the same thing a few years ago i was distracted while pumping fuel and put about 15 gallon of gas in my powerstroke. i drove the truck for about a mile and it started backfiring ,the guy riding with swore up and down it was shooting flames out the tail pipe . i ended driving the truck home about 10 miles... had the tank drained, flushed the fuel lines and put a new fuel filter on .. 30k miles later and still no problems

MysticLandscape
03-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Anybody ever put diesel in a gas motor? Lets hear some of those stories.

MarcSmith
03-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Anybody ever put diesel in a gas motor? Lets hear some of those stories.

we have had a few bone heads put desiel in a gas fork lift.....Drain and toss....

in cars and trucks with the nozel holes, its not real easy to pump desiel in a gas powered vehicle....