PDA

View Full Version : Another trailer lighting question

nt1
02-28-2007, 11:25 PM
To make the story short, the right side trailer light does not blink.
The running lights and left blinker do work fine.

Now to explain in more detail I have replaced trailer lights, wires, harness, etc with a new universal wiring kit. (trailer side)

The wiring was run with 1 brown wire to each light and 1 yellow to left side, 1green wire to right side.

I have a factory four pin plug on the truck side(f150).

Shady Brook
03-01-2007, 12:36 AM
How is the truck side wireing? I had a mystery situation similar to yours this past year. In my case it was the plug in connector on my trailer was not making great contact with the male side on the truck. Just enough to cause one light to act strange. Trailer lights are just a pain in the neck. The truck plug is always getting corroded by the junk you pick up on the road. Maybe you have some corrosion on the truck side wireing. I wish I could help more, but these things can be tricky.

good luck

muddstopper
03-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Does the brake lite work on the right side and no turn signal, If it does, you have problems with your truck wireing. If not, check ground and bulb. If they are good double check your wires and plug to make sure the connections are good. Could just be a bad splice or corroded pins on the plug.

troblandscape
03-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Try the trailer on another truck, Check Fuses in truck if it has a trailer package from the factory it has fuses for trailer lights. Start there and then start rewiring. I made a big mistake of rewiring a trailer and it ended up being a 15 amp fuse in the truck.....:laugh: boy was that typical on how my day was going

TXNSLighting
03-01-2007, 06:37 PM
i was bout to say. check fuses. 95% of the time thats what it is!

chuck bow
03-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Dont think it would be the fuses if only one side wasnt working..... before i went to a 7 pin conector from a 4 pin flat i had problems every week after switching no problems at all What i found most times was the flat had a female or male pin not making good contact i finally got pissed and changed the whole flat conector and it helped for a while till this unit got worn

Focal Point Landscapes
03-01-2007, 11:52 PM
You need to buy one of those small electrical testers - one end has an alligator clip , the other is a pointed instrument that has a built-in light . Clip the alligator end to a ground and push the pointed end into the wire just beyond the plug - if the wire at that point is good and is getting the electric signal ,the built-in light will blink . If it does , the problem is in the trailer wiring or light fixture - if it doesn't , it is in the plug , truck wiring , or fuse. You can also use a continuity tester to determine if a broken wire is the problem . Both of these testers are very inexpensive and easy to learn how to use (as opposed to a multimeter , which is greek to me ). I just got tired of guessing , with 7 trailers to keep lights operational.

nt1
03-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Try the trailer on another truck, Check Fuses in truck if it has a trailer package from the factory it has fuses for trailer lights. Start there and then start rewiring. I made a big mistake of rewiring a trailer and it ended up being a 15 amp fuse in the truck.....:laugh: boy was that typical on how my day was going

Yeah, that about sums it up. It was a 10 amp fuse.

After trying the old trailer light as a test light and stripping wires behind truck plug I finally checked the fuse box.

Oh well, next time the fuses will be the first thing checked.

Thank you for all the responses!

TXNSLighting
03-02-2007, 12:45 AM
there ya go!

troblandscape
03-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Glad to hear you got it fixed