PDA

View Full Version : What Truck?

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-01-2007, 01:50 PM
I am brand new to this site and I'm sure this topic has already been discussed, so don't mean to act like a newbie, but I am getting a newer truck over my Dodge 2500 V8 lack of power gas hog. I either want a 2000-2003 F250 with the 7.3 and a stickshift or a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins and a stickshft. Which is a better buy in the long run? I understand people are going to like one truck more than the other just because they are die hard fans of either brand, but honestly which truck is better for the buy and why? I hear working on a Ford or getting someone to can be a real pain. Are the brakes better on the 03 Dodge's because mine on my 1997 are terrible. I hear the Cummins is an incredible motor, but does the rest of the truck suck? Thanks guys

Total.Lawn.Care
03-01-2007, 01:56 PM
From my expereince, the Cummins engine is great, but the Dodge trucks do not usually lst in the long run.

The Fords with the 7.3 are practically bulletproof. This truck was built right, heavy duty all the way through with a powerplant to handle any task.

I would get the Ford with the 7.3. The manual is your option, but I have been impressed with the Torqueshift auto tranny in the Fords. I do not think you can go wrong with either tranny.

kelly Lawn
03-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I have been actively looking for trucks too. I decided to go with a bigger model eg. f450 to allow for future growth. Just a thought.

TXNSLighting
03-01-2007, 05:05 PM
well if your goin manual...the ford 6 speed is good until it breaks, then its 4 grand to fix! they cant rebuild them for some reason. but the ford is the better truck. and you cant get the torqshift with that engine, so thats out. the cummins is great but the dodge is just not a great truck. those are my experiences. by the way ive had fords and dodges. i have a cummins right now, and cant wait to go get another ford. Im going to get an 08 with the 6.4!!

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the replys! Still not sure what to get, so the more replys the better! I will never ever get an auto transmission again, when towing, unless its an Allison. Cost me $3000 to rebuild the auto in my Dodge and it still sucks! I've heard that the 7.3s can be a mess to work on and the Cummins was easier....any of you agree? So what you're saying is that the Cummins is awesome, but the rest of the truck isn't too great? I figured an 03 would last a while.....Thanks again!

TXNSLighting
03-01-2007, 05:54 PM
nope the 03's still suck. yes the cummins is easier to work on, but the powerstroke really isnt that hard to work on either. mines an 05 cummins, and has been in the shop several times for truck problems, twice for engine problems, and 4 times for other stuff. like the windshield wipers just kinda come on when the want to and wont stop. the radio volume just turns up and down. and the ac controls dont work from time to time, and the windshiled has bad wind noise, and also the passenger side door has bad wind noise. the keyless entry doesnt work half the time either...but it looks good!

PORTER 05
03-01-2007, 06:17 PM
well if i was going to buy a new truck id go for a GMC/CHEVY with the duramx/allison....ive got chevy, gmc, and Ford, i can tell you that my ford f-350 with the 7.3 in it has or i should say "had" lots of problems ( after i put in about id say $7,000 in just under 1 year, but most of it was due to rusting, rusty oil pan, rusty fuel, trasmision , power steering , and brake lines..and i just put in over $1,000 for the glow-plugs, and relay...but i can say when its running its SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....my chevy dump has a BRAND NEW engine in it but its not a diesel....SOOOO i d say go GMC/CHEVY!!!

thebobcatkid86
03-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Ford 7.3 Diesel with the 6-speed. That drivetrain will not die. You run it for 4, 5, even 600,000 miles, then you just tear it down and rebuild it and it'll do it all over again. I have a friend who has the 7.3 in his '96 E350 that has almost 400,000 and its still running strong with just regular maintainance.

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks, that helps to hear. Still haven't fully decided yet.....

tthomass
03-02-2007, 10:57 PM
What are you using the truck for?

BobcatBoy06
03-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Go with the newer cummins over the 7.3 powerstoke anyday, you won't be disappointed. Dodge is an awesome truck, with an even better motor, once you get the cummins you will never go back. As far as the 6.4 powerstoke goes, from what I heard International stopped shipping the motor to ford until further notice, so anyone wanting to buy a new ford diesel may be waiting awhile.

TXNSLighting
03-03-2007, 12:37 AM
not true. the engines are bein shipped. they stoped for a couple of days, but their shipping again. Go try them both. dodge is not an awesome truck, its just a good lookin truck. and ive got the cummins, and i am going back to the powerstroke, mainly because of the dodge, and the fuel mileage is worthless. the cummins isnt worth havin when its in a worthless truck.

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-03-2007, 11:16 AM
To pull my machines, my offroading truck to various trails, mulch, trees, jobs that requires rocks, gravel, stone, etc.., and going to school.

TXNSLighting
03-03-2007, 01:02 PM
If you can find an 03 7.3. that was the best year for the 7.3. i really think youll be happy with that truck. but then again thats just my preference.

supercuts
03-04-2007, 08:47 AM
ive had really good luck with the fords 7.3l. i know what you mean about dodges and autos, mine always felt like it was slipping when it wasnt. to be honest i associate it with a moped. it makes alot of noise and never really went anywhere. my ford on the other hand, you feel it pull nice and strong with an auto. yes some are weak. id test drive them too. my dodge also had alot of nickel and dime problems, and lots of senser problems. fords dont. just dont get a gas in a ford

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-05-2007, 06:34 PM
I'm having a ton of trouble finding the 7.3 with a stick around where I live and the outskirts of it and I don't want to drive somewhere and get one. Did that before and it didn't work out well in the long run. Don't want to do this, but I might to, so does anyone know what auto transmission comes in the Ford with the 7.3 years 2001-2003? If so, how do they hold up?? Thanks a lot

GreenN'Clean
03-05-2007, 07:06 PM
If you can find the ford take it they are built to last, Have you looked on ebay or truck trader they always have a good selection of Ford trucks

TXNSLighting
03-05-2007, 11:07 PM
the auto trans is a 4R100. it is a good trans. its has been in the trucks since early 90's but has had alot of improvements. It was called E4OD in the 97 and earlier trucks, but was improved for the 99 trucks. it is a good auto trans, you will be very happy with it. You are going to have a tough time finding the 6 speed, they didnt make very many of them, cuz the auto is better. and cheaper to rebuild. good luck.

Snyderserv5060
03-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Ive been very happy with my 01 F350 with the proven 7.3 PSD. Personally I chose this truck for a few reasons...the motor is proven, I could get a true 4 door truck, wanted a solid front axle towing truck (so not GM) and I previously had a dodge. I did travel to TX for my truck (from MD) to get exactly what I wanted.

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Well, thanks a lot for all of the advice. I finally came across a 2002 F250 single cab 4x4 diesel 5 speed with 77K on it. Test drove it and they let me keep it overnight. Feel real good about it and it drives and its power is incredible for a 3/4 ton. Buying it in the morning. Thanks again...later

TXNSLighting
03-06-2007, 11:49 PM
good luck! glad you found a 6 speed! i hope it serves you well!