PDA

View Full Version : Which f 450 would you buy?

kelly Lawn
03-01-2007, 02:21 PM
I have been searching for a truck that will be compatible with my new 12' 1400# GVW Dump trailer. I decided to go with an f-450 or 550 because I think the one ton will be too small after a little while. I found these two trucks and I am trying to figure out the best option. Let me know what you think and which one is the better bang for the buck. If they both seem too exspensive let me know.
Thanks

Specifications
Red straight cab - dump bed
Year 1999
Manufacturer FORD
Model 450XLT
Price $17,557
Location Saint Louis, Missouri
Condition USED
Cab Type Standard Cab
Mileage 90,143
Number of Rear Axles Single
Engine Ford
Engine Type V-10
Stock Number T10920
Suspension Leaf Springs
Transmission 5 Spd
VIN EA08265
Fuel Type Gas

Detailed Description
4X4---Local one owner trade in, 12' dumping stake body, power windows, locks, tilt, cruise, detailed, serviced & inspected

OR

Specifications
White Regular Cab
Year 2004
Manufacturer FORD
Model F450 XL
Price $25,557
Location Saint Louis, Missouri
Condition USED
Cab Type Standard Cab
Mileage 23,750
Engine Ford
Engine Type V-10
Length 11'
Stock Number T10916
Transmission Automatic
VIN EC71068
Fuel Type Gas

Detailed Description
4X4, cold a.c. new stakes, truck shows as new!

MysticLandscape
03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
57k miles and 4 years newer for the second one, I would pro go with that. V10 will suck down alot of gas, you look into diesels?

kelly Lawn
03-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Also notice the $8,000 price difference. I like the gas because my company is in Alaska and we don't typically drive long distances, a lot of stop and go, and seems easier to maintain. What do you think about the prices for each of these trucks? Good deal or rip off?
Thanks

Gravel Rat
03-01-2007, 03:50 PM
I don't know if I would go with V-10s I thought about it and I decided against it and I bought a 03 F-450 6.0 with 58,000kms 36,000 miles. The truck is a 2wd I couldn't find a diesel 4x4 F-450 and now to think of it I prolly don't need the 4wheeldrive. The 2wd truck has bald drive tires and it climbs good. If I put good drive tires on I will go places where single rear wheel 4x4s would need to use 4wheeldrive.

I talked with guys with F-450 and F-550 4x4s they rarely use the 4wheeldrive and if they do the front wheels dig themselves a hole before they pull the rear duals out of the holes they dug. These trucks are so heavy they sink like a rock in water.

If you have to deal with snow on a regular basis having 4wheeldrive might be beneficial.

Back to a V-10 expect to not get anymore than 6mpg I'am only getting 9mpg with my 03 F-450 6.0 5spd with 4:30 rear axle the truck weighs 9300lbs just with a 12' flatdeck. I don't think I could handle getting 6mpg you pass everything but a gas station. It is a good thing these trucks have a big rear fuel tank so it seems like your getting good mileage till you fill it up at 150 dollars.

Also the 99 is still in the era that shoots spark plugs through the hood and if you do have a stripped out plug it can turn into a major. Also those years were known for coil packs going they are about 100 dollars each or so in Canada. Also it is the 2 valve engine so its not big power. Another thing to keep in mind a 99 is the first year of the new body style and the first year Ford built the F-450s in that configuration.

The 2004 seems to be a better idea except for the automatic I would never own a automatic equiped truck. The 2004 is a XL compared to the 99 being a XLT. The newer XLs seem to be better than the old previous years my XL has a head liner and a few extras no AC thou I don't like AC anyways.

Good luck on the decisions myself I would be looking at the 2004 the V-10 has the better upgrades it may even have the 3 valve engine and hopefully it has the Torqshift automatic not the other one. If you do buy one factor in 1000 dollars worth of fuel to get it back to Alaska. The V-10 will be screaming FEED ME as the 100 dollar bills fly out of your wallet :laugh:

Total.Lawn.Care
03-01-2007, 04:00 PM
From what I see, you have to ask yourself a few questions:

1. Does the milage on the '99 bother me?
2. Do I need a Dump Bed?
3. Would I rather have the lower miles?

Basically, I am looking at the same truck with two differences, mileage and bed. If you need a Dump, get the '99. If not, get the '04.

Gravel Rat
03-01-2007, 04:04 PM
You can make the white truck's deck dump buy a hoist and the way you go. It doesn't take much to throw a scissor hoist under the deck its not my first choice but for 1000 dollars you can have a dumping flatdeck.

I would take the 2004 over the 99 anyday I wouldn't trust that V-10 in the truck. Ford had allot of problems with blowing spark plugs on the V-10s or it would blow the coil packs off the engine.

kelly Lawn
03-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks a ton everyone for the valuable advise. I had not heard about the spark plug problems but it is deffinately a bargaining tool. I have learned a lot in the last 3 hours when I posted my question. I guess that is why we all love this site so much. Savein each other time and money is a great deal.

Thanks,
Colby

Gravel Rat
03-01-2007, 04:24 PM
The 99 with the V-10 I would want a report on what has been done to that engine and when the last tune up was done. Keep in mind if you blow the plugs they can helicoil them but if that can't be done then the head or heads are replaced thats $$$$. Especially up in Alaska you guys are probably ripped off just as bad as we get at the Ford dealer.

The Ford dealer charged my cousin almost 5 grand to replace the head on his 5.4 litre which is a 98. The labour charges was like 100 something power hour.

If you can swing it the 04 is a better deal you spend a little more money now it will be h*ll of alot less when your driving down the road and you see a spark plug shooting through the hood :laugh:

TXNSLighting
03-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Well they didnt have the torqshift in the 04 trucks, so it wont have that trans, and the 04's didnt have the three valve engine either. these options didnt come til the 05 trucks with the new front end. but id say if your stuck on the v 10, go with the newer one. it always seems to work out better.

xcopterdoc
03-01-2007, 07:19 PM
They have supposedly fixed the plug/head problem on the Ford mod engines. Havent heard of it being an issue lately. I wouldnt sweat it, if it happens, there are inserts out there especially for this. With VIN# in hand, head over to your Ford dealer and ask for an OASIS report. It will show all dealer work done to the truck. Then take it to another shop and have the truck looked over. Usually costs about an hour labor, but well worth it if you are seriuos about buying it. With those two items in hand, return to seller and deal or no deal.
I agree Gravel Rat on the 4x4 issue on the larger trucks! I have a new 07 f550 for a service truck.. 11,880 empty, gets stuck real nice! Sand on a new job site is a killer!