PDA

View Full Version : Quickbooks & Returned Checks!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

SLC, LLC
03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Ok, I have poted on here before about some quickbooks issues. Usually this program is very good to me, but this one is driving me crazy! I have contacted Quickbooks, and they tell me I have to pay $75.00 per month for technical support. I have called technical support before, and I get some person that doesn't speak English in the first place!!!!! UGGHHHH!!!!

Anyways, I am trying to reconcile my checking account. I have a returned check marked "Non-Sufficient Funds" along with a service charge charged to me from MY bank. When I go to reconcile, it is showing a difference of the check amount plus the maount charged to me from my bank.

Earlier, I was told that you have to set up a thing on there for "Bad Check" and "Bad Check Charge." I have done this, but still cannot figure out how to handle that once in the Reconciliation window.

Anyone that can help or had this problem before???????????

Roger
03-01-2007, 09:21 PM
I have had this problem, but I am not sure I can tell you exactly how I handled it. As it unfolded, the procedure went down quickly and easily. Somebody told me how to do it, and it worked well.

I have two Items:

Bounced Check (almost the same as your BAD CHECK)
Bad Check Charges

Those are the exact names. They may be uniquely spelled and trigger some action within QB, I'm not sure.

When I realized I had a NSF check, I think I made a new invoice:

Date: the date of the new invoice
Description: I entered the check number and invoice number that was the offender
Item: Bounced Check
Amount: the value of the NSF check

I made a second entry:

Date: date of invoice (same as above)
Description: My bank charges for handling bounced check (I wrote this)
Item: Bad Check Charge
Amount: $x.xx (my added charge from my bank)

The invoice was totaled and I mailed it out.

But, what happened during that creation was an entry in my bank account, taking out the NSF amount. The deposit was made about two weeks earlier, and shows a increment in the account, but this entry shows the decrement. Also, QB makes a decrement for the Bad Check Charge.

When the invoice (with the info about the bad check) was paid, principal amount AND the bank charge, I now make a new deposit, and the account is properly balanced.

I cannot be 100% certain about me doing it this way. But, I do remember being surprised that it was easy and painless, and flowed smoothly. The activation of an entry in the register for the bank account leads me to believe the exact names of the "Bounced Check" and "Bad Check Charge" are critical.

I hope this helps, and does not mislead.

Roger
03-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I should have added, I am using QB Pro 2006.

SLC, LLC
03-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Roger - thanks a bunch for the help. When you go to item list to create these items, what account should I assign the "Bounced Check" to? Right now, I have it assigned to my checking account?

Thanks again for all the help.

ArizPestWeed
03-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Look when you call tech support and get some one you don't like , hang up and redial . get some different .
I have to call several times to get the right person .

Ok, I have poted on here before about some quickbooks issues. Usually this program is very good to me, but this one is driving me crazy! I have contacted Quickbooks, and they tell me I have to pay $75.00 per month for technical support. I have called technical support before, and I get some person that doesn't speak English in the first place!!!!! UGGHHHH!!!!

Anyways, I am trying to reconcile my checking account. I have a returned check marked "Non-Sufficient Funds" along with a service charge charged to me from MY bank. When I go to reconcile, it is showing a difference of the check amount plus the maount charged to me from my bank.

Earlier, I was told that you have to set up a thing on there for "Bad Check" and "Bad Check Charge." I have done this, but still cannot figure out how to handle that once in the Reconciliation window.

Anyone that can help or had this problem before???????????

SLC, LLC
03-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Look when you call tech support and get some one you don't like , hang up and redial . get some different .
I have to call several times to get the right person .

Do you have a number that you call to reach tech support? I reached that place one time without having to pay, but cannot find that number back.

SLC, LLC
03-02-2007, 01:57 AM
I have had this problem, but I am not sure I can tell you exactly how I handled it. As it unfolded, the procedure went down quickly and easily. Somebody told me how to do it, and it worked well.

I have two Items:

Bounced Check (almost the same as your BAD CHECK)
Bad Check Charges

Those are the exact names. They may be uniquely spelled and trigger some action within QB, I'm not sure.

When I realized I had a NSF check, I think I made a new invoice:

Date: the date of the new invoice
Description: I entered the check number and invoice number that was the offender
Item: Bounced Check
Amount: the value of the NSF check

I made a second entry:

Date: date of invoice (same as above)
Description: My bank charges for handling bounced check (I wrote this)
Item: Bad Check Charge
Amount: $x.xx (my added charge from my bank)

The invoice was totaled and I mailed it out.

But, what happened during that creation was an entry in my bank account, taking out the NSF amount. The deposit was made about two weeks earlier, and shows a increment in the account, but this entry shows the decrement. Also, QB makes a decrement for the Bad Check Charge.

When the invoice (with the info about the bad check) was paid, principal amount AND the bank charge, I now make a new deposit, and the account is properly balanced.

I cannot be 100% certain about me doing it this way. But, I do remember being surprised that it was easy and painless, and flowed smoothly. The activation of an entry in the register for the bank account leads me to believe the exact names of the "Bounced Check" and "Bad Check Charge" are critical.

I hope this helps, and does not mislead.

Roger -
I follow what you said 100%. However, I am taking it that this approach works when the payment is eventually received. Do you know of any adjustment to that process if the payment is not received?

Roger
03-02-2007, 07:50 AM
StriperPro ... I have Bad Check Charges as an Item, type as Other Charges, Account as Lawn Services (the same account as my other services). However, the Item Bounced Check has type as Other Charges, and Account as (.... my banking account).

Your last question regarding payment, I am presuming you mean payment against the second invoice. The initial invoice was paid with a NSF check. If the second invoice, the one with Bounced Check and Bad Check Charges, is unpaid, then it would remain as an outstanding invoice, yet to be paid. That did not happen in my case -- the invoice was paid, balance back to $0.00. If it was unpaid, then I would have to deal with it as any other unpaid invoice.

SLC, LLC
03-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Roger -
Thank you again for getting back to me. Your explanation is exactly correct. The first invoice or Statement is NSF. I still have an outstanding balance for that client.
I am trying to figure out now how to deal with that delinquent amount when I go to Reconcile my checking account. Basically, I deposited that money that for the check, and made the deposit into Quickbooks as well. Then, a week or so later, I received the NSF check in the mail saying there were no funds. Now I cannot figure out how to balance the check book in Quickbooks since the amount is already shown as a Deposit.

Does this make sense? I am hoping you might know this, as the information you have provided me thus far has been excellent. Thanks again!

Roger
03-02-2007, 11:38 PM
When you created the second invoice with the two items:

Bounced Check
Bad Check Charge

I recall QB created a negative entry in the register, exactly for the amount of the bounced check. Therefore, the amount should not show up when you reconcile. Yes, it was an addition when you made the deposit (with the first check), but when making the second invoice, a negative amount should appear in your register. In essence, the amount was taken out of the bank balance, as if you never made the deposit in the first place.

If you have not made the second invoice, then you may not be seeing the negative entry.

If QB does not do what I've explained, then I am out of suggestions. I just wish I had carefully written down my procedure for future reference. In nine years, I have only had one NSF, and that was last October.

lawnMaster5000
03-03-2007, 05:07 PM
this probably IS NOT the correct way to do it but you could always go back and delete the check from the original deposit.

I think thats what I would do, and dont really know how else to do it.

Roger
03-03-2007, 06:17 PM
StriperPro ... While working with QB this afternoon, I needed a question answered. I clicked the "help" icon in Customer Center. The new screen that emerged was the last one I used when I asked for "help". I quickly realized my last request was for "NSF" -- wa-la!!! Now, I remember that is where I got the procedure.

So, go to Customer Center and click Help. When you are asked to search for keywords, use "NSF". It comes up with only one entry, and that entry is how to create the item list, re-invoice, etc. This is what I should have remembered a couple of days ago. The necessary steps are adequately described.

I have really scratched my head, trying to recall how I knew how to handle the NSF. I have a good friend who is a CPA, and is an expert with QB. She and I have e-mailed often in the earlier use days, and has cleared up many things for me. My first hunch was that she told me the procedure, but I had no saved e-mail from her for handling NSF. But, now I know where I got the information. I hope it works for you.

LawnMaster5000 -- I don't think that will work. I think deposit transactions are irreversible. In other words, you cannot return to edit out a transaction. If you had a backup file to restore right before making the deposit, then you could make a new deposit, excluding the check. However, in my case, I make new entries every day, and the NSF notice didn't arrive for two weeks after the banking transaction. I make cycling backups every day, so the one before the deposit was long gone.

lawnMaster5000
03-03-2007, 09:08 PM
roger, you have to delete the deposit from the checking account register, then you can delete the check itself.

But like I said, probably not the correct way to do it.

SLC, LLC
03-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Roger & LawnMaster,

IT WORKED!!!!! Thank you both for all the input. You are both are lifesavers! Another reason I spend a great deal of time on Lawnsite. Thank you both once again.