PDA

View Full Version : Welder Question for Trailer Racks

Kickin Your Grass
03-02-2007, 01:05 AM
I'm wanting to make some racks for my trailer to hold hand tools, gas cans, etc. I'm basically going to be using angle iron, square tubing, and expanded metal. I will also do misc. welding when needed. I'm looking for something cheap that will get the job done. Will this work :

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44568

Gravel Rat
03-02-2007, 03:02 AM
A car battery and jumper cables will weld better than that thing. Personally spend a little more money on something better. Even look at trying to find a good used welder something that runs off of 220.

You need to look at the duty cycle that little welder your looking at you can weld 6 seconds out of every minute.

Start searching the pawn shops or local auctions and you will find a AC welder somewhere.

ProMo
03-02-2007, 08:14 AM
I looked ar that one and ended up getting a small mig at sears

thebobcatkid86
03-02-2007, 09:03 PM
My advice, if you have the budget go for a Hobart Stickmate LX 235AC/160DC stick machine. I have one of these and a Lincoln 140DC MIG and Im telling you that once you learn to use it that Hobart will weld anything. I bought mine to renovate this old flatbed trailer I bought to haul my bobcat.

gmcplowtruck
03-03-2007, 12:15 PM
i would look at a hobart harbor freight sells them and so does tsc

LawnTamer
03-03-2007, 01:19 PM
I love my little Lincoln, it is just a 100, if I was buying now I'd get a 135.

thebobcatkid86
03-03-2007, 10:08 PM
My Hobart came from TSC. Was $399. When I bought it I didnt know squat about welding but I knew I had to have it to fix this old trailer. My dad knows a little about welding. The Lincoln 140 is actually his. He taught me the bacics and then I just followed the charts and guidelines in the manual that came with the Hobart and now I know how to do stuff that he cant imagine. My othe advice: If you're going to go stick get one with a DC option. Much smoother, less spatter and easier to control your arc/puddle.